What's new

Rudy Vey Custom Shaving Brushes and Restorations

First, let me add to all the positive comments, Rudy is a true gentleman and great to deal with....

Now... This little fella is being glued as I type and with any luck should be here around Christmas:

proxy.php

30mm STA

What do you think?

I'll post pics with it's siblings once it arrives.

Ken

First, let me add to all the positive comments, Rudy is a true gentleman and great to deal with....

Now... This little fella is being glued as I type and with any luck should be here around Christmas:

proxy.php

30mm STA

What do you think?

I'll post pics with it's siblings once it arrives.

Ken

Nice looking brush Ken! It looks pretty similar to a Kent BLK 12! Was this intentional?

BigFoot

I wanna be sedated!
Staff member
Good looking brush!!!!

To respond to Rudy's post I have two I would love to send him. The more I have looked at them I do not believe they would survive a restoration. So they shall stay in my display in an unusable condition.

There will be more.:thumbup1:

I got a Rudy Vey brush and so far I am very pleased with it. It is a 2-band finest with a TGN 22mm knot and 45mm loft. It has huge backbone, is soft on the face and an overall great performer!. It even makes short work of Walgreen's Williams (I have very HARD water).

I am very pleased with it, so for around half the price of a Name Brand brush I got a well engineered brush made by a German Master Brush Maker with the handle design I wanted, the type of knot I wanted, and the loft I wanted. I didn't have to settle at all, and I got to see the actual brush I was buying before I paid, which is a HUGE plus!

full

It bloomed just a little since this pic, but that's what I expected from such a short loft and dense knot. Order a brush from Rudy. You will not be disappointed at all! :thumbup:

Last edited by a moderator:
That looks like a monster scrubber Matt, a veritable soap destroyer, besides being quite handsome.

You made a wise choice.

I got a Rudy Vey brush and so far I am very pleased with it. It is a 2-band finest with a TGN 22mm knot and 45mm loft. It has huge backbone, is soft on the face and an overall great performer!. It even makes short work of Walgreen's Williams (I have very HARD water).

I am very pleased with it, so for around half the price of a Name Brand brush I got a well engineered brush made by a German Master Brush Maker with the handle design I wanted, the type of knot I wanted, and the loft I wanted. I didn't have to settle at all, and I got to see the actual brush I was buying before I paid, which is a HUGE plus!

full

It bloomed just a little since this pic, but that's what I expected from such a short loft and dense knot. Order a brush from Rudy. You will not be disappointed at all! :thumbup:

That looks really nice, and quite similar to what I was looking for. Even though it is meant for face lathering and soap, how does it do with cream and/or bowl lathering?

That looks really nice, and quite similar to what I was looking for. Even though it is meant for face lathering and soap, how does it do with cream and/or bowl lathering?
VERY Well. I lather in a 3" hand thrown bowl I got from the swap meet and it makes mounds of lather. You know you have a good bowl brush when you start to swirl it and it makes lather explode up to the top of the bowl..I scrape it down and continue to aerate it until I get stiff peaks. It's a great all-around brush for sure.:thumbup1:

So a couple shaves under my belt with this RV and it's amazing.

proxy.php

Very different from my other brushes. It is VERY dense and has a ton of backbone which makes it feel much smaller than it's 30mm knot would indicate. In fact it feels much smaller than the other two pictured here. (also see my Christmas present, a bowl of GFT Eucris, which is lovely! And my favorite DE, the Feather AS)

proxy.php

Kent BLK12 and Shavemac 227XXL. Of course it's stiffer than the Kent but it's even stiffer than the Shavemec, probably due to the short (relatively) loft. The tips are the softest of the three. I wanted the handle to be as close as possible the the Kent as that is my favorite and fits my hand like it was designed for it. This comes very close. It isn't quite as narrow as the Kent at the waist but it's close enough to be very comfortable.

I really can't describe the feel of this brush on my face but, if you can imagine, it feels like a soft, slightly flexible "log" as opposed to individual bristles of a brush. It presents a unified surface that is luxuriously soft. And it generates a TON of great lather (so far from KK and the Eucris, AOS on deck)

Anyway, it's a terrific brush and a great value. Thanks Rudy!

Ken

full

YES, thanks for the pic Crag. Not more than a few minutes ago, I satisfied my AD for the rest of 2010. I've ordered your brush in Ivory w/ a 24mm knot. :thumbup:

eta: I hope you don't mind my copying your brush. It just really looks sweet.

BigFoot

I wanna be sedated!
Staff member
Picked these 3 brushes up today. I liked the looks of them. Think you can work with them Rudy? Left to right they are: Baton, Everready, and a no name.

I'm eagerly awaiting these two new brushes from Rudy. The first is a cobalt blue PJ in fan-shaped two-band finest, with 24mm knot and 51-52mm loft, and the second is a butterscotch Klenzo clone (semi-chubby) in bulb-shaped super silvertip grade A, with 22mm knot and 50-51mm loft, both based on brushes seen on the forum. I can hardly wait to have these in hand!

We are working on a solution to hold the finished brush while engraving. The handles are just set on their top, but the hair would not allow this, even stiff boar hair...:lol:
As soon as we have a way, I let you guys know.

Stuff the brush through a roll of toilet paper. You can squish the roll to hold smaller brushes.

Phil

The Count of Merkur Cristo

B&B's Emperor of Emojis
Rudy:
In the attachment enclosed, I was looking to have these 2 Ever-Ready's restored (and you're just the man to do it :thumbup:) .

Is it possible to transplant the knots (I love these broken-in knots), from 1 Parker Black Badger and 1 Caswell-Massey Pure Badger brushes to the handles above (the old handle conditions [cut, broken, sawed, ect...], after the restores would not important to me...so long as the knots can come out cleanly)?

Or would a better idea is to have 1 Black Badger & 1 two-band finest Badger... both with fan shaped knots, 22mm knot and 50mm lofts installed in the above handles?

You can PM me with price estimates, shipping info, payment detail, comments, ideas ect... :laugh:

Christopher :badger:

PS Sorry about not sending a PM because you can't add attachents (pics)

Rudy Vey

Shaving baby skin and turkey necks
Rudy:
In the attachment enclosed, I was looking to have these 2 Ever-Ready's restored (and you're just the man to do it :thumbup:) .

Is it possible to transplant the knots (I love these broken-in knots), from 1 Parker Black Badger and 1 Caswell-Massey Pure Badger brushes to the handles above (the old handle conditions [cut, broken, sawed, ect...], after the restores would not important to me...so long as the knots can come out cleanly)?

Or would a better idea is to have 1 Black Badger & 1 two-band finest Badger... both with fan shaped knots, 22mm knot and 50mm lofts installed in the above handles?

You can PM me with price estimates, shipping info, payment detail, comments, ideas ect... :laugh:

Christopher :badger:

PS Sorry about not sending a PM because you can't add attachents (pics)

Transplanting knots from used brushes is always a bit risky. I have done a number of transplants from Kent's, i.e. removed the knots and then put them in new handles. This was quite doable as the Kent knots are sitting in a kind of plastic sleeve/cup and have not been glued directly to the handle with the hair. In your case, I would go with new knots.

The Count of Merkur Cristo

B&B's Emperor of Emojis
This is the awesome Restoration work done by Rudy, the Master himself :thumbup1:

The Every Ready Restored Brushes 1-4 pics (from left to right);

Pic 1;

The brushes as they arrived. The red brush on the left is a EverReady 300PBT Pure Badger (needed to be restored...most of the hairs were falling out due to age), & the blue one on right is a Ever-Ready 200T Boar.

Pic 2;

Both Brushes with their hair cut off.

Pic 3;

Both Brushes drilled out.

Pic 4;

The Restorted Brushes with new knots set in the handles.

16mm - 46mm loft Best Badger in the red handle on the left & 20mm Finest Badger - 50mm loft in the blue handle on the right.

Christopher
proxy.php

PS Great work Rudy :biggrin1:

Last edited:
Top Bottom