What's new

Rubik’s cubes.

Anyone still know how to solve these?

CDD93592-40DC-4E58-B0C6-BD488BD83D45.jpeg

Also just found out that Rubik’s has an app now to help you solve the cube. Makes it’s easy now lol

I consider myself an intelligent person and I think I got 3 sides once in the 80’s. I just cant do the stupid thing.

Owen Bawn

Garden party cupcake scented
I consider myself an intelligent person and I think I got 3 sides once in the 80’s. I just cant do the stupid thing.
I guess I am more intelligent than you because I couldn't be arsed to even try it.

Or is that proof that I'm a dummy?

Space_Cadet

I don't have a funny description.
They were very famous back in the 80-ies, and every kid got one. I was never able to achieve anything trying to solve it. Strangely, I have a masters degree in Philosophy and my field is Analytic philosophy and Philosophical Logic, but then again I'm almost sure these two facts are not really related.

I couldn't solve one in the eighties, and I can't solve one now. My twelve year old, on the other hand, considers a solve taking more than twenty seconds slow.

I tell myself it's much easier nowadays with all the YouTube tutorials, etc., to make myself feel better about it.

Yeah I still can’t solve one. My son (6) really wanted one for his birthday. He can sort of figure out sides, we’ll see if he ever figures it out.

I seem to recall reading that it is solvable simply by making a series of rote moves, regardless of the "scramble". The only determining factor of said scramble is how many "moves you need to make before completion. I have no clue whether this is true or not.

I taught myself with the help of some YouTube videos. I don't do it for speed or anything. I just memorized the simplest ways of doing each step. My brother had one when I was a kid, and my brother-in-law bought me one a few years ago. I just thought it would be cool to know how to do it. You know, party tricks.

Eben Stone

Staff member
I do. I speed solve competitively
My official record is 22.2 seconds and I have an unofficial (not during tournament) personal best of 19.76 seconds.

I think it took me longer than that to get it out of the retail package.

I've never solved one, but I did have a moment of clarity once. I'm convinced that you have to solve 3 sides at the same time. Maybe that's completely wrong, or I'm not describing it properly, but that's as far as I got with it before I moved. That's been a few years ago and I have no idea what happened to it. I'd like to take a serious attempt at it again...

I've never solved one, but I did have a moment of clarity once. I'm convinced that you have to solve 3 sides at the same time. Maybe that's completely wrong, or I'm not describing it properly, but that's as far as I got with it before I moved. That's been a few years ago and I have no idea what happened to it
Well there are different ways to solve it. Roux and CFOP are the methods I prefer.

CFOP, for example, is solved tier by tier... bottom, middle then top.

I've never solved one, but I did have a moment of clarity once. I'm convinced that you have to solve 3 sides at the same time. Maybe that's completely wrong, or I'm not describing it properly, but that's as far as I got with it before I moved. That's been a few years ago and I have no idea what happened to it. I'd like to take a serious attempt at it again...
I can teach you, if you like.

I seem to recall reading that it is solvable simply by making a series of rote moves, regardless of the "scramble". The only determining factor of said scramble is how many "moves you need to make before completion. I have no clue whether this is true or not.

Not exactly, no.

I taught myself via YouTube to solve a cube around the same time I started SR shaving. It was on a little hit list of things to do once I turned 40 haha.

There's a set of positions to establish when you start to solve it, which usually include doing one layer at a time, at least for beginners. You don't apply a certain set of moves per se, but you do need to establish the right positions and this is done in a certain order. Yes, solving is effectively a memory trick, but as a beginner / intermediate solver one couldn't do it blindfolded. You need to remember what has to be done at each stage, based on what you see.

I'm not quick, but I can solve the 3x3 every time. My best is around 1min 20 sec. However the speedsolvers are genuinely on another level. They develop an ability to plan moves based on the best method depending on the scrambled state of the cube. The mental agility here is mind-blowing, really incredible visualisation skills.

Luke

I teach 7th grade and had a former student who could solve one in the 30 second range. It was pretty impressive to watch!

Top Bottom