What's new

Rubie Or Not Rubie!

I have in my possession two packets of Gillette Rubie blades.
They are both made in Russia but the art work is slightly different!
It says they are both made by PCT.
The top pack was bought from a vendor is the U.S.
and the bottom pack from a vendor is Russia.
Are these the same blade?

$Photo on 2011-08-03 at 01.12.jpg
Rubie #1 Platinum Plus®

$RUSSIAN RUBY.jpg
Rubie #2 Platinum Plus™

Platinum Plus™ ... oh well. TM means "unregistered trademark", which means certainly not Gillette! It seems that the Rubies are quite popular with some criminal elements, the fake ones in the thread mentioned by jwilock look even different.

Last edited:
I finally shaved with one and gawd damn is a killer! Superb blade and well worth stashing them in the shave bunker!

I've tried to find Rubies so I could give them a go, but I read they were discontinued. Is this true? If not, where can I get some to try out?

I've tried to find Rubies so I could give them a go, but I read they were discontinued. Is this true? If not, where can I get some to try out?

You can buy a Gillette Rubie razor on Ebay from a vendor in Israel and you get a pack of 5 Rubie blades with it.

I've purchased Rubies from RBM in the US and an ebay seller in Russia with slight differences in the packaging as well as printing on the blade - both versions are fantastic and has since become one of my top blades. According to the seller on ebay, they are still in production, and are the most expensive Gillette blade for the Russian market They are still available on his ebay store in case you are interested.

FWIW, one of the best shaves I have ever had was with a Russian Rubie Platinum Plus and... wait for it... a Weishi 9306! I now use the Weishi as my travel razor.

I've purchased Rubies from RBM in the US and an ebay seller in Russia with slight differences in the packaging as well as printing on the blade - both versions are fantastic and has since become one of my top blades. According to the seller on ebay, they are still in production, and are the most expensive Gillette blade for the Russian market They are still available on his ebay store in case you are interested.

Thanks for the information! I'll have to look into this a little more when I need some new blades...

I previously broke the story of the Fake Rubies and I have experienced both, plus I have 10 years experience in printing and graphic arts which I drew upon to make the determination about the following fakes. Here's the detailed photos.

proxy.php

proxy.php

proxy.php

The fakes show all the hallmarks of manufacture by RunWei Blade in China. I have previously posted about them.

There are some other faked blades very similar to these on eBay now at high prices. They are a different Gillette branding but show similar issues around the edges of the box (cracking on the bands of the cardboard).

It's my personal and experienced opinion that the top blades are legitimate. I suspect they were likely sourced from David at RazorBlades & More, and I can vouch for their authenticity. He supplied me with the blades to make my comparison with the fakes. They shave nicely.

Your bottom blades appear to be legitimate from what I can see. Older Rubies were cellowrapped but these later Russian-sourced ones are not.

I would be looking for the cardboard peeling away from the creases on the box. That is the dead giveaways of the fakes. You can see it here in the Fakeidiums:

proxy.php

I have a feeling that they may just be an updated artwork design, and possibly linked to the dual-waxspot changeover at PPI. If you open them up and it looks like 2 wax spots instead of 4, I would think they are legit. Please note that there are new PermaSharp Super blades that have 2 wax spots instead of 4 now, and the newer production Dark Platinums are also 2 wax spots instead of 4 like my previous 'Maltese' sourced stash.

Last edited:
I love those blades. They're sharp and smooth.

The packages of Rubies here in the Philippines that I have just recently purchased are horrible. They cut absolutely nothing. It is like there is not even a blade in the razor. I can run my finger along the edge of the blade and it is completely dull. I have opened three packs and they are all the same. I had some prior and they were nice and sharp. Not sure what the problem is but I have had to switch to London Bridge as that is the only other DE blade available here locally. The Rubies look genuine to me.

The packages of Rubies here in the Philippines that I have just recently purchased are horrible. They cut absolutely nothing. It is like there is not even a blade in the razor. I can run my finger along the edge of the blade and it is completely dull. I have opened three packs and they are all the same. I had some prior and they were nice and sharp. Not sure what the problem is but I have had to switch to London Bridge as that is the only other DE blade available here locally. The Rubies look genuine to me.

They are made in China so it could be possible a batch that never got ground or honed, slipped past quality control. If you had to choose which is better: Rubie or London Bridge? Also do you have photos of the dud blade?

They are made in China so it could be possible a batch that never got ground or honed, slipped past quality control. If you had to choose which is better: Rubie or London Bridge? Also do you have photos of the dud blade?

Well the Rubies I had before were very good and smooth a tad better than the London Bridge. They are both Gillette but the Rubies sell for about 1.30 USD per tuck and the London Bridge sell for about .40 USD per tuck. I am not so sure the Rubies are worth 3 times the price. I still can get a good shave from the London Bridge. Maybe one could get more shaves per blade out of the Rubies and therefore, bring the cost down. I will have to search the local stores and maybe try another pack of Rubies maybe from a different production run.

I will try and post a pic of the blade later.

I have some Chinese Super Gillette Blue Blades that are fake and a damned criminal mastermind must have printed the box as it is flawless near as I can tell. Be careful.

View attachment 382623
Rubie #1 Platinum Plus®

View attachment 382624
Rubie #2 Platinum Plus
Hello everyone. In my humble opinion, the blades that you bought from an American merchant are fakes. Firstly, the plant in St. Petersburg does not pack packs of blades in cellophane. Secondly, the text on the back of the pack contains spelling errors. Unfortunately, in your photo this is hard to see due to the poor quality of the photo. But it is clearly distinguishable in the lower photographs provided by Mr. Mitsimonsta. Unfortunately both of his rubies are fake. I ask you to contact Gillette by e-mail, and send them good quality photographs, as well as documents that confirm the fact of your purchase from these sellers. You will receive an official response from the manufacturer, and those who trade in counterfeit products will be punished. And in our world of wet shaving, there will be fewer fakes. Then you write to the community that the manufacturer answered you. Regards, Eugene.

K
I recently purchased my Rubies from Mercury Drug Store Pantranco branch and they're still as good as before.

Top Bottom