What's new

Rubberset Turnback Brush

Has anyone restored one of these metal Rubberset turnback brushes before? Not sure what the model number is or when they would have been sold. Its all metal and the Rubberset name is embossed on the side -- they sure made some nice brushes.

The knot came out fairly easily. The top is so small that I had to use a strap wrench to hold it steady and keep my hand clear when I was drilling the old knot out. I was worried about drilling it because its so shallow I didn't want to punch through the bottom. Luckily I didn't; the threaded part is solid brass so there is a little margin for error.
There were some pits and scratches on the top of the tube that I wet sanded & polished. It didn't come out perfect but I can work on it some more and get it looking better I'm sure.

Haven't decided on a knot yet. The opening is 20mm and the depth is about 9-10mm, so it will pretty much only cover the glue plug of a knot. I need a knot that is less than 60mm in overall length (50mm loft) for it to fit back inside the handle and function as a travel brush.

proxy.php

proxy.php

proxy.php

I have a Plisson Travel Brush that looks almost the same. I had trouble getting a knot small enough (14mm). I ended up turning down a larger 18mm knot and it worked out Okay. Good luck it looks like a nice brush!

That's one cool brush. Glad you got the knot out without damage to the base. The restore should be sweet.

Thanks everyone.
I sanded and polished it a bit more and I think its about as good as its gonna get.
One correction I said the threaded part was solid brass... well it is indeed hollow. I broke though the shelf when I was sanding. If I take that shelf out it would probably give me another 3-5mm to set the knot so that gives me more options. I'm going to leave it for now and wait until I get the knot to decide to remove it or not.

proxy.php

proxy.php

proxy.php

Looks like a similar vintage one I just got in today from eBay. Did you get a new knot in yours yet? I'm going to put mine in a "travel only" set I'm buiding with a Parker break down blade set. This one says "Vulcanized in Rubber - Better Brushes - Palmer, Mass. - Sterlized, NY" on it.

I was actually looking on here for the best and safe way to really deep clean and sterlize knots. I figured I could just use the one I got as is. I haven't found any documentation on the wiki yet, but maybe someone discussed it in a post.

Obviously your brush looked like it needed replacing, but this knot looks like it's near mint. Maybe someone can chime in if there's any harm in just putting some sort of disinfectant on this. Then mild soap and hot water. Then use it. Certainly would be a lot easier. Or is that gross? Hehe.

$IMG_3106.jpg$IMG_3112.jpg$IMG_3113.jpg$IMG_3114.jpg$IMG_3115.jpg

Use it as is! You might do a couple of test lathers, then use a little hair conditioner on the knot. It should be a great travel brush.

I finished this off brush with a TGN finest and it turned into a great little travel brush, I seem can't find a finished picture at the moment but I'll post one later.

Your brush is really nice too & the knot looks like its in good condition. Certainly try it out and see how you like it. I think I remember reading somewhere that the E in the diamond means it was a re-branded EverReady.
Here's a link on cleaning: http://wiki.badgerandblade.com/How_to_Clean_a_Shaving_Brush
Good luck and let us know how it turns out.

Last edited:
Top Bottom