What's new

Rubberset model numbers - Post your numbers here

$ImageUploadedByTapatalk1432068634.902919.jpg

I picked this up today, and I can't seem to find any information. Does anyone know anything about the Rubberset N102? I think it's a really cool brush. Any info would be greatly appreciated.

Have you de-flowered the Black Badger, yet? I have one coming in for one of my restores but I've never actually had one in my hands before.

It complements the black handle perfectly!
Yes, I have de-flowered it. :lol: It is a firm knot with lots of backbone and a bit of scritch. Since giving one to my teenager, he had reduced acne problems, so it cleans the skin and exfoliates well. The black badger is a terrific knot and looks aesthetically pleasing , especially in black handles or half and half black handles.

Hi Winblows.
The glue extends up from the handle for at least a half inch up the centre of the knot. It's SOLID; it has the "backbone" of a 100 year old oak tree. No amount of tweaking or repair work is going to fix it.
Thanks for the reply, though. Can you recomend a source for an 18mm boar knot?
Yes, the cheapest way to get a boar knot is to bye an Omega brush :001_smile

Hi Winblows.
The glue extends up from the handle for at least a half inch up the centre of the knot. It's SOLID; it has the "backbone" of a 100 year old oak tree. No amount of tweaking or repair work is going to fix it.
Thanks for the reply, though. Can you recomend a source for an 18mm boar knot?

I would find a plastic handled Omega with a knot that you know you like and remove the knot from it. Do a search, my understanding is that the hollow handle brushes are easy to remove. I don't know how easy the Semogue knots are to remove from the handle, but if your prefer them, it may be worth a try.

Here is an interesting Rubberset ad that shows the relationship between the model numbers and the retail price.

$Rubberset asias market guide - 1932.JPG

It came from this 1932 catalog. This is two years before the Albright family sold the company to Bristol-Myers.

$asias market guide for druggists - 1932.jpg

Here is a good example of a model 100 brush that would retail at $1.00 and sold for $.59

The same style brush was at one time a model 69 and model 89 and would have retailed at $.69 and $.89 respectively.

The ad is from 1943. I saved it to get a snapshot of what box they were using at the time. It helps date the brushes when you cross paths with some NOS.

$box_in_1943.jpg

Here is a similar model (but with horse hair) and the same box. It is selling on a popular online auction site at many more times the original price.

$il_570xN.775431218_c5y8.jpg

Rubberset made more metal brushes than just the popular aluminum model 400 or their well-made take-down travel brushes. They also made these:

$rubberset metal.jpg

From this group my favorite is the Rubberset model 513, also known as "The Boss Barber".
In the lingo of the time this meant master barber and was often associated with a union barber shop.

$boss barber.jpg

Here is an ad for one in 1929

$513_1 [1929].jpg

The design for it was patented in 1928 by Andrew Albright Jr.
He was the President of the company at the time and the son of the founder who had died in 1905.

$513_12.jpg

Last edited:
Rubberset made more metal brushes than just the popular aluminum model 400 or their well-made take-down travel brushes. They also made these:
View attachment 573544

From this group my favorite is the Rubberset model 513, also known as "The Boss Barber".
In the lingo of the time this meant master barber and was often associated with a union barber shop.

View attachment 573365

Here is an ad for one in 1929

View attachment 573367

The design for it was patented in 1928 by Andrew Albright Jr.
He was the President of the company at the time and the son of the founder who had died in 1905.

View attachment 573369
This is amazing stuff. I look forward to find one of these

Under close examination this advertisement looks to have a Rubberset model LA150 pictured. It says that it's made with badger and goat's hair.

I don't recall seeing shaving brushes made with goat's hair. I wonder how often that was done and why.

Note that it says that this brush is made specially for Liggett's Drug Stores. Perhaps the "L" in the model number stands for "Liggetts".

$Goats_hair_shaving_brushes 2.jpg $la150_1.jpg

$Liggetts.JPG

Last edited:
The logo on all the Canadian Rubberset brushes is "Old King Rubberset". That came from an advertisement they used in 1917.
It is my favorite Rubberset ad but was not well received by the advertising community at the time.

$Rubberset ad 1917.jpg$old king rubberset ad comment 2.jpg

Last edited:

Mike H

Instagram Famous
Very interesting. I wonder why they thought the brush and mug would be obsolete by 1930?

Thank you BladeShark!

Top Bottom