What's new

RUBBERSET 49-5 (pic heavy)

Just a heads-up; that particular knot that I used from The Golden Nib feels exactly like,...

814LxC6acQL._SY355_.jpg

I do not recommend that knot for anything other than a duster for a work bench!

It may ease up with use, but it's got a LONG way to go. And it's set a little higher than they had it in the plastic thing, so I can't blame it on setting it to deep, it's just a stiff, scratchy, bastage! :mad3:

Raven Koenes

My precious!
Just a heads-up; that particular knot that I used from The Golden Nib feels exactly like,...

View attachment 787601

I do not recommend that knot for anything other than a duster for a work bench!

It may ease up with use, but it's got a LONG way to go. And it's set a little higher than they had it in the plastic thing, so I can't blame it on setting it to deep, it's just a stiff, scratchy, bastage! :mad3:

It's a beautiful piggy knot! She'll be just fine!

Raven Koenes

My precious!
Do you think it will ease up a bit? It has no splay whatsoever, it just scrubs. I do intend to keep using it to see what happens, but I need all the encouragement I can get!
Absolutely it will. It will go from bed knobs and broomsticks to cloud nine in a manner of time. I'm not one who has ever expedited the breaking in process on a boar brush. I just like how it gradually creeps up and before you know it splays wonderfully. Soft and with back bone...I see it just like an Omega.

Absolutely it will. It will go from bed knobs and broomsticks to cloud nine in a manner of time. I'm not one who has ever expedited the breaking in process on a boar brush. I just like how it gradually creeps up and before you know it splays wonderfully. Soft and with back bone...I see it just like an Omega.

Man thank you!!! :thumbup: I've got a used boar that I won in a pif, and it's a nice brush, this is my first new one. I'll just use it and let it break in naturally. :thumbsup:

:jump: :jump: :jump: :jump:

I've been thinking about making a brush to clean out my handplanes. Now I know what to use!

It would be excellent for handplanes! :a14: :laugh: Norris? Sweetheart Stanley?

She's starting to soften up a bit now, gonna be a great shaving brush! :thumbsup:

strop

Now half as wise
A few Sweethearts, and some earlier ones. A LN or two and some woodies. Just like razors, my bride doesn't understand why I need more than one!

Wow Toby, sorry the knot is so stiff/scritchy. The TGN boar I got was a pleasure to use from day 1, far nicer than I ever expected a boar to be. Methinks the boar knots that come in a ferrule aren't the same as the regular boar knots. Your description is the complete opposite of how mine started out. I've read they use different manufacturers for their finest knots, so it's no stretch to think the boars are from different manufacturers too. Anyhow good luck breaking it in and I hope it comes around to suit your tastes. If not, you could always remove it and set another. With pics please!

A few Sweethearts, and some earlier ones. A LN or two and some woodies. Just like razors, my bride doesn't understand why I need more than one!

Very cool! :thumbup:
As far as handtools and razors go, there are way more similarities than differences. Truly superlative vintage stuff, and supposedly superior new stuff. Preserve? Restore? Modify? Collectors versus users, you know the deal! :thumbsup:

Wow Toby, sorry the knot is so stiff/scritchy. The TGN boar I got was a pleasure to use from day 1, far nicer than I ever expected a boar to be. Methinks the boar knots that come in a ferrule aren't the same as the regular boar knots. Your description is the complete opposite of how mine started out. I've read they use different manufacturers for their finest knots, so it's no stretch to think the boars are from different manufacturers too. Anyhow good luck breaking it in and I hope it comes around to suit your tastes. If not, you could always remove it and set another. With pics please!

It's all good my friend, I think it's gonna be great, I just gotta use it! One strange thing though, it never had any animal smell, no smell at all.

@TobyC - Mine did, but it wasn't horrible. It sounds like TGN has more than one source for their boar knots. Not a bad thing, I still think they offer great knots for the price, but it would be nice to know you're getting the same knot throughout the different sizes.

Top Bottom