What's new

Rubberset 400

Picked up my first Rubberset 400 today of the bay. It should arrive mid next week. The seller claims there's no number stamped on the handle, is this possible? Next, I've seen other forumites restore these and polish the handles bright and shiney. How is that done? Lastly, if I what to replace the knot, any suggestions to what to replace it with?

Thanks in advance.

Mike

If you face lather, then a TGN Finest fan.

proxy.php

I know, no pics it didn't happen. As soon as it gets here I'll post "before" pics.

I dig that mirror finish. Looks like lots of work or at least it sounds like it but worth it.

Mike

I know, no pics it didn't happen. As soon as it gets here I'll post "before" pics.

I dig that mirror finish. Looks like lots of work or at least it sounds like it but worth it.

Mike

I left mine with a satin finish. I stopped at 800 wet sand. I guess I just got lazy.:001_smile

I found this 400-4 today.
I don't know where to begin the restoration... Any advice for a restoration noob?
$ImageUploadedByTapatalk1405201949.135202.jpg
$ImageUploadedByTapatalk1405201961.686206.jpg

Picked up my first Rubberset 400 today of the bay. It should arrive mid next week. The seller claims there's no number stamped on the handle, is this possible? Next, I've seen other forumites restore these and polish the handles bright and shiney. How is that done? Lastly, if I what to replace the knot, any suggestions to what to replace it with?

Thanks in advance.

Mike

ah so you beat me on that one :( ya i asked seller same thing, i think they just dont know about it.

Absolutely everything you guys need to know about how to refinish one of these start to finish, with pictures and advice on where to get what you need, is in this thread:

http://badgerandblade.com/vb/showthread.php/355627-The-Rubberset-400-Club

Information included: how to take off the collar, drill out the knot, sand the brush, various sanding grits needed, metal polish, selecting a knot, knot size, how to set the knot, what to do and what not to do, etc.

Also, ezmike there were some brushes that came without numbers though they are less common. Also it might have been a light stamp that someone sanded off during a refinish. Congrats on the find.

Good luck and make sure to share pics of your progress and ask for advice in the thread I posted above.

Thank you,
David

Last edited:
Thanks guys. It should arrive Tuesday. I'll gets before pics up as soon as possible. Thanks for the link.

Mike

I have one without a number on it also. Looks just like my other with the number 4 stamped in it. Just picked this one up and haven't started any restoration yet. I've seen a few that don't have stamped numbers on the collar but don't know what that might mean.

Attachments

• $P7141670.jpg
    $P7141670.jpg
    91 KB · Views: 217
She arrived today. Just a quick clean up with Eagle One Nevr-Dull wadding. Here's a couple of pics. Just need to pick up the sandpaper and or steel wool.

Mike

Attachments

• $image.jpg
    $image.jpg
    52.5 KB · Views: 210
  • $image.jpg
    $image.jpg
    60.8 KB · Views: 210
  • $image.jpg
    $image.jpg
    61.6 KB · Views: 209
  • $image.jpg
    $image.jpg
    47.3 KB · Views: 210
Last edited:
She arrived today. Here she I with a quick clean up with Eagle One Nevr-Dull wadding. Here's a couple of pics. Just need to pick up the sandpaper and or steel wool.

Mike

Congratulations! I can honestly say, with no exaggeration, my first 400 changed my life. It started me on a path that was wonderful. I hope the same happens for you. Enjoy!

The first thing I always do when I get a new 400 is to unscrew the ferrule. Some go easy, some go hard, some need to be convinced using hot water. Have you tried taking yours off?

Yes, I took it apart before I cut off the knot. Afterwards I cleaned out the plug. I started sanding it while watching the All-Star game, 320 grit, followed by 400 grit then, 000 steel wool and finished with 0000 steel wool. I couldn't find sand paper above 600 grit at Home Depot. I don't have Maas, only Noxon, Maguire's and Turtle Wax Polishing Compound. I don't know if any of these will give it the luster of the others posted here. There are some imperfections I couldn't get out and I didn't wet sand with the sandpaper or steel wool. Suggestions welcomed. Here's a pic or two.

By the way, I've been bitten by the Rubberset 400 bug. I have a 400-3 on the way. I'll wait until it arrives to order knots. I've used 2-band Finest and Silver Hairs on other restores set at about 50mm. What do you think about them in these handles?

Mike

Attachments

• $image.jpg
    $image.jpg
    47.3 KB · Views: 173
  • $image.jpg
    $image.jpg
    53.4 KB · Views: 174
Check auto parts stores and the automotive section at Walmart for higher grit sandpaper. The really high grit stuff above 2500 or so is at auto body suppliers.

Check auto parts stores and the automotive section at Walmart for higher grit sandpaper. The really high grit stuff above 2500 or so is at auto body suppliers.

Okay I'll do that. So it's the higher grit stuff that produces the luster? Please excuse my ignorance but what benefit is the wet sanding? And, is the 000 and 0000 steel wool not effective?

Thanks in advance.

Mike

Top Bottom