What's new

Rubberset 200-5 Restore

$FullSizeRender 6.jpg $IMG_4554.jpg

It had been over five years since I did my last restoration. This one has been sitting around ever since then, just waiting for it's turn. I do not have any "before" pictures, but the "after" picture is still enjoyable.

Finest Badger Hair knot FAN 24mm from The Golden Nib.

Marine epoxy up to the top edges of the cork inserted into the handle, just covering the top. Knot is set in about 1/2" below the top. Various grits of sandpaper and Flitz to clean it up. Enamel paint in the lettering.

I hope that this one takes over the default position as my daily brush for another five years.

Last edited:
Came out very nice. It's nice when the lettering is deep enough to accept the paint. Looks like a winner and I like the two band finest.

That turned out awesome! TGN Finest 24mm fan & bulbs are my favorite knots so far for making brushes with. I'm particularly fond of a longer handle, they're great when using a scuttle. I even refer to mine as a "scuttle brush". Well done & enjoy your new masterpiece! 👍🏻

That turned out awesome! TGN Finest 24mm fan & bulbs are my favorite knots so far for making brushes with. I'm particularly fond of a longer handle, they're great when using a scuttle. I even refer to mine as a "scuttle brush". Well done & enjoy your new masterpiece! 

+1

I agree the TGN 24mm finest are some truly fine knots. They are my favorite for badger with just the right amount of backbone. Its always hard to get use to badger after using boar for so long. This is the perfect compromise.

It was too late to edit my post, but I should say the 20mm is my fave for the slightly softer tips, but I prefer a larger knot, and 24mm is perfect for me.

Thank you everyone for the kind words. I am enjoying this one. I think that it is going to be my default for a while.... until I find a more interesting one to restore next.

That looks great, nice work! I wonder why that handle shape isn't more popular, it seems so much more ergonomic than the stubbier handles... I suppose it depends on how you use it.

Top Bottom