What's new

Rubber washers and O-rings

Interesting topic. I have been searching for an o-ring to put on a Alpha T-400 shave brush but have not been successful in finding somewhere that sells them for that size. Part of my problem is that I don't know the size. Even though someone gave me the size number I can't seem to find an exact match for that number and have no idea what the numbers even mean.

About ten years ago I lived near Boise, Idaho. There was a place that specialized “O” rings. The church where I was pastor had a duplicator machine that used what looked like “O” rings on feed rollers. Those from the factory no longer fed paper. I took an old one and they matched it, and supplied the quantity we needed. I had to install them, but the cost was a lot less than anything a factory authorized repairman could do. There might be a similar supplier a reasonable distance from you.

Chan Eil Whiskers

Fumbling about.
Interesting topic. I have been searching for an o-ring to put on a Alpha T-400 shave brush but have not been successful in finding somewhere that sells them for that size. Part of my problem is that I don't know the size. Even though someone gave me the size number I can't seem to find an exact match for that number and have no idea what the numbers even mean.

The big box stores (Lowe's, Home Depot) sell a variety box of O-Rings as well as small packages of the various individual sizes.

1575681836401.png

Pictured is a similar item on Amazon, but it lacks the #13 O-Rings I used on my brush. Plus, these are silicon and red.

1575681929545.png

This variety pack has rubber rings. Black. Amazon. Looks like the one I bought, maybe.

Happy shaves,

Jim

The big box stores (Lowe's, Home Depot) sell a variety box of O-Rings as well as small packages of the various individual sizes.

View attachment 1041369

Pictured is a similar item on Amazon, but it lacks the #13 O-Rings I used on my brush. Plus, these are silicon and red.

View attachment 1041370

This variety pack has rubber rings. Black. Amazon. Looks like the one I bought, maybe.

Happy shaves,

Jim

Thanks Jim. I may go this route. Who knows. There may be some other uses I can find for the other sizes.

Chan Eil Whiskers

Fumbling about.
Thanks Jim. I may go this route. Who knows. There may be some other uses I can find for the other sizes.

That was my view, too. However, the real reason I got the variety pack was I had no other way to determine exactly was size I needed other than trial and error.

Happy shaves,

Jim

Rhody

I'm a Lumberjack.
But Karve also states that leaving the washer on reduces the number of engaged threads, which can lead to damage. Lesser thread engagement means more stress on the engaged threads, which can lead to earlier failure. Theoretically anyway. If the parts were machined properly there shouldn't be any scratch marks. I can buy into using a washer for a plated razor to keep from wearing the plating off and exposing the pot metal but not on a solid stainless or brass razor. To each his own I guess. Been using my Karve as recommended and it looks fine.
Thanks this does seem like good info

you're welcome. Not trying to flame anyone; just my common sense engineering telling me what to do.

I seem to get a good fit on my head but you do have a good point. Although I don’t use much force against the razor.....?
My Merkur head has less threads to attach to than the others but all are sturdy. Hum?
I’m gonna keep the nylon washer.
I really dislike that Merkur.

Top Bottom