What's new

RR sloc 2.0

Can you put the Slot 2.0 top cap on a RR LUPO?? Wonder if it works and how that shave might be......
i can't answer that, but I checked and the 2.0 slotted top cap fits into the slot of my vintage brass new-short-comb baseplate !!!

It looks totally insane, a little menacing, and maybe even a bit unsafe,... lots of blade exposure because the top is so curved and narrow compared to the normal flatter wider cap/base of the Gillette,... can't wait to try it !!! MwaaaHahaha....

proxy.php

Last edited:
Two quick things...

Has anyone tried to slightly loosen the head and make it adjustable like the PAA DOC?? I have another one of these sitting in my cart to purchase [emoji848].

I use the Yaqi equivalent quite often but have been slightly nervous to splurge on this guy because of the possible harshness as the teeth appear sharper in comparison. Thoughts?? Thanks!

Josh

Sent from my LYA-L29 using Tapatalk

Two quick things...

Has anyone tried to slightly loosen the head and make it adjustable like the PAA DOC?? I have another one of these sitting in my cart to purchase [emoji848].

I use the Yaqi equivalent quite often but have been slightly nervous to splurge on this guy because of the possible harshness as the teeth appear sharper in comparison. Thoughts?? Thanks!

Josh

In my opinion the shave is very different than the Yaqi Melon or original RR SLOC. Its apples and oranges.

The teeth feel very sharp. Some will like it. for me it is a rough shave. For what it is worth I have been wet shaving for over 40 years. I know how. It is not smooth. I am now waiting for SLOC 3.0!

The teeth feel very sharp. Some will like it. for me it is a rough shave. For what it is worth I have been wet shaving for over 40 years. I know how. It is not smooth. I am now waiting for SLOC 3.0!
Hmm fair enough. I had a PAA DOC Evolution razor and I had to trade it because I felt the teeth were too abrasive for me to use regularly [emoji21]. So sadly, this one will probably be the same for my sensitive skin but difficult beard. I guess I can wait on a PAA DOC Ascension at a good price instead. [emoji2369]

Got my RR SLOC 2.0 yesterday; today I did a side-by-side shave against my aluminum PAA Ascension DOC.

Before shaving, I checked the head curvature by swapping caps. The two heads appear to have identical curvature and the cap swap was visually perfect. The tighter curvature is the most significant design difference between these razors and the original RR SLOC/Yaqi Mellon, also the PAA nickel Original DOC. I own all five of these razors, except the RR SLOC which I sold.

Here are SLOC 2.0/PAA Ascension design comparisons:

Milled Alu head - 6066 alloy bead blasted and silver anodized / 7075 alloy clear and contrast color anodized
Head curvature is identical - both will probably ‘twist adjust’
Blade tabs covered on both
Base plate teeth - sharp / blunted
Cap blade alignment posts - identical linear posts
Base plate alignment holes - blind hole / holes penetrate through plate
Head material and weight - Alu 13g / Alu 9g
Handle material and weight - SS 65g / Alu 24g
Overall length - 93mm / 95mm
Handle style - partial halo and angular ‘ball’ tip / full knurl and angular ‘ball’ tip

My bottom line - SLOC 2.0 is a very close younger sibling of the Aluminum Ascension, but with an SS handle. The Ascension also comes in SS and Cu/Ag alloy (when in stock).

I like the RazoRock Haloed UFO handle better than any RR handle other than the Halo Ti. The all aluminum Ascension is, to me, better balanced in the hand and more graceful and attractive to the eye. I would have preferred RR to have produced an SS head and priced it in line with their Gamechanger lineup. Perhaps that will come along in time.

The side-by-side shaves (same blade moved between razors) were close in feel. The RR base teeth are a little sharper, but not an issue for me. If I could only have one, I would stick with the PAA DOC. As it is, one more razor for OCtober, and a lighter/shorter RR SS handle that will find a place in my rotation.

BAE1794A-2D41-4A43-BB47-614C6654A23B.jpeg

My favorite razors are the GC .68/.84 & the original RR SLOC. Been using my SLOC for the last week every day. Got to admit this razor looks interesting. But I own an aluminum Lupo & I'm not a fan of the light weight or the smoothness of the aluminum head on my face. For me it drags too much. I'm going to pass on this razor. But if they make a stainless version for around $60 I'm in.

As @akh223 wrote earlier in this thread (#51), he found the blade forward feel of the SLOC 2.0 uncomfortable, and he moved it along to me. I hooked it up to an aluminum handle and it is light! (29g with blade) I think if I dropped it into a sink full of water, it would float!
On to the important stuff - shaved last night with a day and a half of stubble. Hot shower, ToBS Sandalwood, Mr. Fine's Stout synthetic brush, and an IP Red with five shaves already on its clock. Great, smooth shave without blood - a little pink patch on one side of the throat due to driver error, or old blade, or both. Otherwise, easy to use and very maneuverable.
View attachment 1060255
What handle is that?

Took this thing out this month for another 2 week test drive. Still don’t like it. It’s at the bottom of the drawer now till I find someone I don’t like to give it too.

On the other hand I used my original SLOC this morning and loved it.

Top Bottom