What's new

RR GC IS IT SPECIAL ??

Rosseforp

I think this fits, Gents
To the ones who could use the .68 everyday what other razors could or do you use everyday?

To the ones that use the .84 everyday what other razors do you or could use everyday?
I could use my GC .68 everyday, or my RR SLOC, or my RR DE1, for that matter. I usually grab either my GC .68 or my SE Piccolo, with my Merkur 15c getting used at least once a week.

I have tried a Piccolo Mk1 and really like it, so I will probably get a GC .84 baseplate, and now the OC .84 is in stock.........

I have a hard time not using my R41 as a daily shaver but will admit I am intrigued by the Game Changer. Admittedly I haven't read through all 83 pages of reviews, any comparison between the R41 and GC?

Thanks!

I have both. The GC 84 is certainly less aggressive than the R41 for me. I could use it as a daily razor. Both are very efficient for me as well. The GC is in my top 5 daily rotation with and without the open comb. It's an excellent stainless razor for a great price.

I had the .84 GC and I didn't like it too much. I found it a bit mild and had to work very hard to get a BBS shave. I'm sure it's due to it's negative/neutral blade exposure. I haven't looked at the specifications for the GC, but that's what it felt like to me.

IMO the GC in its various configurations is the best razor option offered by Razorock. It is definitely smooth and mid-aggressive/efficiency and not “draggy” like the Lupos. The Jaws is more efficient than the OC and SB with the reverse for smoothness. They compare very favorably with the similarly priced Brass Karve using C or D plates in either SB or OC configurations.

The R41 is a harsher feeling shave but more efficient. Either GC or Karve are easily daily shavers with more options (ie plate gaps) for your Karve to customize it to your preferences.

I had the .84 GC and I didn't like it too much. I found it a bit mild and had to work very hard to get a BBS shave. I'm sure it's due to it's negative/neutral blade exposure. I haven't looked at the specifications for the GC, but that's what it felt like to me.
The GC has a positive blade exposure. Perhaps you had a dud blade in it.

The GC has a positive blade exposure. Perhaps you had a dud blade in it.
I didn't believe Italian Barber's "positive blade exposure" so I checked my GC84 (with a standard 22mm wide blade) and found it to have ±0 blade exposure.
GC84-Profile+RedLine_2018-10-22.jpg

Being a bit of an aggressive razor fiend, I also found it hard work to get a BBS shave with. But... I love its simple looks. So I decided the problem wasn't the razor, it was the operator. I went into some serious training and eventually started getting great shaves from it. It's currently my ONLY razor (since my recent move into minimalism) and I love it to bits.

SOTD-Y3_2020-02-19.jpg
:001_wub:

Good report. What is it that you are doing differently now that you are trained?
Thanks. :biggrin1:

On the left is my first love, Fatip OC. On the right GC84 SB.
Angles-Piccolo-Mk1.jpg
GC84-Profile-5_2018-11-27.jpg

Both are shown with the cap and guard touching an imaginary vertical line (e.g. the side of one's face). It doesn't look like it, but the blade in the Fatip OC has good exposure whereas the blade in the GC84 SB has ±0 exposure. (Put a transparent ruler edge on the furthest out bumps of the cap and guard to check the blade exposure.) The Fatip has no blade gap, the cap clamps the blade straight onto the OC teeth/guard.

I'm a predominantly Steep Angle shaver (guard rider).
(On the Fatip) picture the guard and blade gently running down the face. The skin is lightly pressed between the teeth before the blade touches — the cap, although very close, doesn't touch the skin. The whiskers are instantly wiped off.

Picture the exact same motion with the GC. The solid (guard) bar pushes the skin away from the blade AND the skin isn't touching the cap. Blade contact is minimal.
SOLUTION: Hold the handle parallel to the skin, push the (SB) guard into the skin (yes, pressure, but also skin stretching) allowing the blade to catch the whiskers at skin level (hardly any pressure). (This time you can see the gap between the cap and the skin.) So at last, the whiskers are instantly wiped off.

That's a big difference in technique from one razor to the other (both using Steep Angle) to get the same result. Looking at what I've written it seems quite simple... but it wasn't while I was training myself (note, must do better). Getting the angles, along with the varying guard and blade pressures (at the same time) wasn't easy... and of course I'm still working on improvement.

I hope that makes sense (and wasn't TMI). :001_rolle

Thanks. :biggrin1:

On the left is my first love, Fatip OC. On the right GC84 SB.
View attachment 1065768 View attachment 1065770
Both are shown with the cap and guard touching an imaginary vertical line (e.g. the side of one's face). It doesn't look like it, but the blade in the Fatip OC has good exposure whereas the blade in the GC84 SB has ±0 exposure. (Put a transparent ruler edge on the furthest out bumps of the cap and guard to check the blade exposure.) The Fatip has no blade gap, the cap clamps the blade straight onto the OC teeth/guard.

I'm a predominantly Steep Angle shaver (guard rider).
(On the Fatip) picture the guard and blade gently running down the face. The skin is lightly pressed between the teeth before the blade touches — the cap, although very close, doesn't touch the skin. The whiskers are instantly wiped off.

Picture the exact same motion with the GC. The solid (guard) bar pushes the skin away from the blade AND the skin isn't touching the cap. Blade contact is minimal.
SOLUTION: Hold the handle parallel to the skin, push the (SB) guard into the skin (yes, pressure, but also skin stretching) allowing the blade to catch the whiskers at skin level (hardly any pressure). (This time you can see the gap between the cap and the skin.) So at last, the whiskers are instantly wiped off.

That's a big difference in technique from one razor to the other (both using Steep Angle) to get the same result. Looking at what I've written it seems quite simple... but it wasn't while I was training myself (note, must do better). Getting the angles, along with the varying guard and blade pressures (at the same time) wasn't easy... and of course I'm still working on improvement.

I hope that makes sense (and wasn't TMI). :001_rolle
Thanks for the pics and description. What is your favourite Fatip? Do you use the same blade in both razors? I’m thinking of maybe getting the Grande, I just got the GC .68OC my first open comb. I enjoy the blade feedback I get. I had to purchase the .84SB to get the top plate. I will try the .84 in a week or two keeping your post in mind. The red handles really pop. Very nice.

I had the GC Jaws and did not care for it. I have tried several SS razors and they are all too heavy for me. I had about a half dozen shaves with it resulting in cuts and weepers every time. Went back to my R41 and got closer more comfortable shaves with no issues.

Thanks for the pics and description.
My pleasure. :biggrin1:
What is your favourite Fatip?
Here's my favorite:
B+FatipOC_2018-09-21.jpg

It's a Fatip Mk2 OC on another custom handle (same spec as the red one). The Mk2 cap is 19mm wide. This was made after the Fatip factory retooled.
My first love was a Fatip Mk1 Piccolo (18mm wide cap). I liked the Piccolo handle for its 75mm length, but after much experimenting I got to prefer light handles... ending up with custom jobs to my own spec (and of course a thread suitable for the one-off Fatips).
Do you use the same blade in both razors?
I either like blades or don't like blades. The ones I like (many) I will use in all my razors. Currently, as I'm on a minimalist trip, I'm only using ONE of everything — That's brush, soap, razor, blade, and ASL. My blades are Polsilver Super Iridium.
I’m thinking of maybe getting the Grande, I just got the GC .68OC my first open comb. I enjoy the blade feedback I get. I had to purchase the .84SB to get the top plate. I will try the .84 in a week or two keeping your post in mind.
I looked at pics of the GC OCs when they came out and straight away decided NO WAY. I'm sure they'll lock the blade in accurately every time with no thought but design wise they don't hold a candle to Fatips (IMO). I prefer the "no gap" Fatip where the cap clamps the blade straight onto the guard/teeth. Also, the Fatip's teeth are slim but rounded and deep, and stretch way back into the baseplate; so not only is it very comfortable on the face but brilliant for waste (whiskers and lather) drainage. Much less rinsing required.

So, sorry to be of no help there. :blushing:
The red handles really pop. Very nice.
Thanks. :thumbsup:

Last edited:
I get it. In my mind, I think in terms of shaving with an angle that is less steep with the GC 84.

(On the Fatip) picture the guard and blade gently running down the face. ... The whiskers are instantly wiped off.

I hope that makes sense

This however seems a bit of a stretch - a blade gently wiping away whiskers!

Maybe I’m just still sensitive to the cuts from my morning shave with an AC bladed CJB razor 😀

Top Bottom