What's new

RR GC IS IT SPECIAL ??

In my case it doesn’t matter as a daily driver. Both guards put the blade at nearly exactly the same angle of attack, so the shave is identical for me. If I were inclined to ride the bar I’d be happier with the .68 for daily use.

But since I ride the cap, I like the versatility of the larger gap as well as ease of rinsing. The razor behaves pretty much the same with both, plus added capacity and rinsing room with the .84.

But the .68 is still a peach.

First shave with the .84 today. Used a Weber bulldog handle, fresh Astra SP and Arko soap. Odd, I didn't notice any appreciable difference. The .84 felt just as smooth as the .68. I did my typical 3 pass Sunday shave and followed up with Nivea shave balm. BBS for sure with no issues. I will try the .84 daily to see if I notice any building irratation over subsequent days. That is often a problem for me. It is definitely a keeper.

One thing I have noticed, both the .68 and the .84 are superior ATG tools. No chatter, no skips just dead solid and smooth. Seriously great razors. If they release a stainless OC I will get one of those too!

One thing I have noticed, both the .68 and the .84 are superior ATG tools. No chatter, no skips just dead solid and smooth. Seriously great razors. If they release a stainless OC I will get one of those too!

I agree with you whole heartedly about the GC being great atg. It shines in that respect. I like the 84 best myself but still enjoy the 68 now and again. The GC is a wonderful shaver for me and in my opinion one of the best values in all of wet shaving. I have found out over time I like lighter handles and razors in general. So I put a Storke titanium aristocrat handle on my GC head and love it, it seems more balanced and nimble to me.
Happy shaves
SMURF

I agree with you whole heartedly about the GC being great atg. It shines in that respect. I like the 84 best myself but still enjoy the 68 now and again. The GC is a wonderful shaver for me and in my opinion one of the best values in all of wet shaving. I have found out over time I like lighter handles and razors in general. So I put a Storke titanium aristocrat handle on my GC head and love it, it seems more balanced and nimble to me.
Happy shaves
SMURF

I bet that looks fantastic.

I don't have a picture and Frank has my GC right now for the Smoothest Shave Offs. When I get it back I'll try to remember to post a picture.
Happy shaves
SMURF

I promise I won't post a daily review. This will be it until I have used the .84 for a week or more. I did a 1 pass shave today to see how the .84 would fair. Ended up dfs, no issues. I still don't notice any difference in the feel of the .84 over the .68. If all goes well I will use the .84 for a month then try the .68 again. Tomorrow I will change to a Maggard MR11 handle I just recieved.

I promise I won't post a daily review. This will be it until I have used the .84 for a week or more. I did a 1 pass shave today to see how the .84 would fair. Ended up dfs, no issues. I still don't notice any difference in the feel of the .84 over the .68. If all goes well I will use the .84 for a month then try the .68 again. Tomorrow I will change to a Maggard MR11 handle I just recieved.

Since most of my vintage Gillettes go best with Kai, I keep them around as my main blade and used them with the .68. When I tried a Kai with the .84, was a great shave but found it was too harsh for my skin to use the Kai and .84 daily together. The best blade I found to use daily with the .84 are my Lab Blues. Yellows work but the Lab Blues are best. Are you using the same blade with both baseplates? In my experience with them, they feel almost like different razors to me.

Since most of my vintage Gillettes go best with Kai, I keep them around as my main blade and used them with the .68. When I tried a Kai with the .84, was a great shave but found it was too harsh for my skin to use the Kai and .84 daily together. The best blade I found to use daily with the .84 are my Lab Blues. Yellows work but the Lab Blues are best. Are you using the same blade with both baseplates? In my experience with them, they feel almost like different razors to me.

I am using my usual Astra SP same as I did with the .68. Next week will probably try a Voskhod or Lord.

Bear in mind that the Kai blade is 0.2mm wider than your average blade. So by using them you're adding 0.1mm (a blade thickness) to the normal blade exposure.

One question, the tag on the leather pouch says "echt leder" German for "real leather". Why? The razor is made in Canada. Is the pouch German?

One question, the tag on the leather pouch says "echt leder" German for "real leather". Why? The razor is made in Canada. Is the pouch German?
I don't think it is real leather. irrespective of what chain tag claims, if you turn the pouch inside out, you can see the underside structure of 'real leather' is not leather but like leatherette. It doesn't smell like leather. It doesn't feel like leather. Mine arrived rough textured, toughened and hard as nail, it just didn't felt like leather and it prompted little sleuthing.
Give it a good moisturize rub of machine oil+coconut oil. It turned soft and pliable but real leather..... no way.

Top Bottom