What's new

RR GC IS IT SPECIAL ??

This however seems a bit of a stretch - a blade gently wiping away whiskers!

Maybe I’m just still sensitive to the cuts from my morning shave with an AC bladed CJB razor 😀
Well let's face it mr_houston, you need a lot more motor control when there's NO GUARD. If you presented your toddler with his/her first bike, fitted with training wheels, on Saturday... would you remove them on Sunday? :facep:

“I looked at pics of the GC OCs when they came out and straight away decided NO WAY. I'm sure they'll lock the blade in accurately every time with no thought but design wise they don't hold a candle to Fatips (IMO). I prefer the "no gap" Fatip where the cap clamps the blade straight onto the guard/teeth. Also, the Fatip's teeth are slim but rounded and deep, and stretch way back into the baseplate; so not only is it very comfortable on the face but brilliant for waste (whiskers and lather) drainage. Much less rinsing required.”
The GC.68OC has given me my very best face and head shave. Looking forward to getting the Grande for comparison. The custom handles certainly take the Fatips to a different level.

I like the SB Game Changers. My all time favorite DE, 2-pass BBS is the Feather Stainless.

It was a drawer queen for yearswhile I explored aggressive razors with lots of blade exposure. Learned to shave to bbs with a Merkur Futur. Lots of proud blade exposure there. Then I tried out the Game changer with my new razor skills, and got a good daily shave with it. Surprise. So I pulled out my neglected Feather stainless, threw a new Feather in it, and used it for my pickup pass. It was great.

The GC.68OC has given me my very best face and head shave.
Thats's great JoWolf. :001_cool: ... And of course it's a good thing that we (and our tastes) are all different.
Looking forward to getting the Grande for comparison.
I look forward to hearing how you get on with that. I'd also be interested to know what the cap width is. Mk1s were all ~18mm; Mk2s started ~19mm but now they seem to vary between 19.0mm and 19.6mm.

I got the Piccolo Special Edition but its cap was 19.6mm, definitely too wide for my taste so it ended up getting PIFed.
The custom handles certainly take the Fatips to a different level.
Thank you. :001_smile

Thats's great JoWolf. :001_cool: ... And of course it's a good thing that we (and our tastes) are all different.

I look forward to hearing how you get on with that. I'd also be interested to know what the cap width is. Mk1s were all ~18mm; Mk2s started ~19mm but now they seem to vary between 19.0mm and 19.6mm.

I got the Piccolo Special Edition but its cap was 19.6mm, definitely too wide for my taste so it ended up getting PIFed.

Thank you. :001_smile
Hi Cal the Grande Gold from Connaught is in the mail. Do you know what the width would be? By what you’ve said it could range unless they go with the thinner ones to save on gold😀 Regardless I kinda think whatever the width, I will adjust to since it will be my only Fatip. Do you have an opinion on #10 washers being used between base plate and handle? ( otherwise the gold will be scratched )
Although I shave face and head it’s only twice a week. It will take me a little while to get through enough shaves to give an adequate review of either razor. I will not be able to hold back from giving a first impression though. Thank you for your Information and comments.

Last edited:
Hi Cal the Grande Gold from Connaught is in the mail. Do you know what the width would be? By what you’ve said it could range unless they go with the thinner ones to save on gold😀 Regardless I kinda think whatever the width, I will adjust to since it will be my only Fatip.
Being aware of the "artisan" QC at Fatip, I'd say the width will be anywhere in the range from 19.0mm to 19.6mm. :wink2:
Do you have an opinion on #10 washers being used between base plate and handle? ( otherwise the gold will be scratched )
Being a dedicated experimenter, I say "try it." Being a dedicated minimalist, I say "why make life more difficult?" (Surely, if that were needed they'd be supplied with the razor.)
Also, it shouldn't get scratched unless unless you're fitting your handles to the same torque as your car lug nuts. :001_unsur
Although I shave face and head it’s only twice a week. It will take me a little while to get through enough shaves to give an adequate review of either razor. I will not be able to hold back from giving a first impression though. Thank you for your Information and comments.
:001_cool:

Being aware of the "artisan" QC at Fatip, I'd say the width will be anywhere in the range from 19.0mm to 19.6mm. :wink2:

Being a dedicated experimenter, I say "try it." Being a dedicated minimalist, I say "why make life more difficult?" (Surely, if that were needed they'd be supplied with the razor.)
Also, it shouldn't get scratched unless unless you're fitting your handles to the same torque as your car lug nuts. :001_unsur

Ok Cal I guess I’ll order some calipers. I’ll need to use them on handles and knots which are also in the mail. Any caliper suggestions?

Ok Cal I guess I’ll order some calipers. I’ll need to use them on handles and knots which are also in the mail. Any caliper suggestions?
A ruler with "mm" markings is sufficient for that job JoWolf. I have expensive calipers which are definitely NOT required for shaving gear (unless maybe you're making the stuff).

I seem to remember Jim @Chan Eil Whiskers having good inexpensive calipers... beaming you up Jim.

A ruler with "mm" markings is sufficient for that job JoWolf. I have expensive calipers which are definitely NOT required for shaving gear (unless maybe you're making the stuff).

I seem to remember Jim @Chan Eil Whiskers having good inexpensive calipers... beaming you up Jim.
I found one $20.00 on Amazon which will probably be good for the little projects I have coming. The last time I used calipers there was no digital. I think in the early going it will get used more than the stud finder.

Personally, I'm considering purchasing a cheap vernier caliper. I use my digital caliper so little these days that I need to replace the battery nearly every time I use it. :001_rolle
Yes your right Cal hard to beat old school. Seeing that I was feeling so saucy I pulled the plug and the high quality plastic manual ones are in the mail. What a load off.

So I got my Game Changer 84 Open Comb today.
Beautiful razor, and I got the Super Knurl handle. Although it's the heavyist handle Italian Barber sells with the GC, it's was very well balanced. My Blackbird l, while a great shaver (as long as I ride the bar), it's noticeably much heavier.
I put in a Lord Platinum with 3 shaves on it. Nice and smooth shave, close, I had one weeper on my neck, but I take the blame for it, not the razor or blade. After shave burn was very minimal.
Overall, after one shave, I'm impressed with it.

Thanks. :biggrin1:

On the left is my first love, Fatip OC. On the right GC84 SB.
View attachment 1065768 View attachment 1065770
Both are shown with the cap and guard touching an imaginary vertical line (e.g. the side of one's face). It doesn't look like it, but the blade in the Fatip OC has good exposure whereas the blade in the GC84 SB has ±0 exposure. (Put a transparent ruler edge on the furthest out bumps of the cap and guard to check the blade exposure.) The Fatip has no blade gap, the cap clamps the blade straight onto the OC teeth/guard.

I'm a predominantly Steep Angle shaver (guard rider).
(On the Fatip) picture the guard and blade gently running down the face. The skin is lightly pressed between the teeth before the blade touches — the cap, although very close, doesn't touch the skin. The whiskers are instantly wiped off.

Picture the exact same motion with the GC. The solid (guard) bar pushes the skin away from the blade AND the skin isn't touching the cap. Blade contact is minimal.
SOLUTION: Hold the handle parallel to the skin, push the (SB) guard into the skin (yes, pressure, but also skin stretching) allowing the blade to catch the whiskers at skin level (hardly any pressure). (This time you can see the gap between the cap and the skin.) So at last, the whiskers are instantly wiped off.

That's a big difference in technique from one razor to the other (both using Steep Angle) to get the same result. Looking at what I've written it seems quite simple... but it wasn't while I was training myself (note, must do better). Getting the angles, along with the varying guard and blade pressures (at the same time) wasn't easy... and of course I'm still working on improvement.

I hope that makes sense (and wasn't TMI). :001_rolle
Need to try this out and see why so many here are fans of steep angle shaving. Thanks for the detailed understanding!

Reactions: Cal

Rosseforp

I think this fits, Gents
Need to try this out and see why so many here are fans of steep angle shaving. Thanks for the detailed understanding!
Figure.6..png

Do you follow "The minimlalists" Joshua and Ryan ?

I saw their introduction video where everything including old photos and memories had to go. That was a big one to fathom.

To me minimalism sounds to be one of the pillars of stoicism. Need to be in good command of your materialistic cravings to start both.

You could start a minimalism journal here to jot down how you've embarked on the journey and how long you've traveled. Could be good education to know why it matters and how it helped you.

Ancient Indian / Hindu writings call all materialistic attachments as "Maya" or illusion and encourages getting read of "Maya" to evolve the soul. Yoga and breath control through meditation is supposed to help here as a tool.

So far nothing on steep angle shaving there :)

Last edited:
Do you follow "The minimalists" Joshua and Ryan?
Sorry luv2shave, I've never heard of them.

As shaving has become more and more of a hobby, I'm buying more and more shaving "stuff." So currently I have too much shaving stuff, and too many books, but as these things are related to "hobbies" I enjoy, I don't mind the additional stuff. Other than "hobbies" I'm definitely a minimalist.

I do like Marie Kondo's outlook on things, but I wouldn't call her a minimalist (as in, the common sense value of throwing stuff you don't love or use out [or PIFing it]).

Sorry luv2shave, I've never heard of them.

As shaving has become more and more of a hobby, I'm buying more and more shaving "stuff." So currently I have too much shaving stuff, and too many books, but as these things are related to "hobbies" I enjoy, I don't mind the additional stuff. Other than "hobbies" I'm definitely a minimalist.

I do like Marie Kondo's outlook on things, but I wouldn't call her a minimalist (as in, the common sense value of throwing stuff you don't love or use out [or PIFing it]).

I've been listening to their podcast for some time. I guess he was lucky to discover minimalism before he discovered wet shaving:p

Top Bottom