What's new

RR GC .84 OH MY LORD HAVE MERCY

Great post Sir Charles. I really enjoy my Rex Ambassador but am curious to try the GC 0.84 SB. In your experience, what setting on the Ambassador would be closest in terms of efficiency and aggression? For me, my favorite setting is 2 with a moderate blade such as Gillette Silver Blue. Thanks!

I would say its around a 3 or 3.5. I cant really tell much of a difference in the amount of stubble that is left over after the first pass with the Rex on a 4 vs the first pass with the GC. Maybe a slight edge in efficiency to the Rex on a 4. But as I said before, the GC is smoother, and the blade angle is easy to find and maintain, you shouldn't have any problems with the GC if you use the Rex on a 2 most of the time. Kudos on the Gillette Silver Blue, that blade and the Nacet are my two favorites. Hope this helps.

I would say its around a 3 or 3.5. I cant really tell much of a difference in the amount of stubble that is left over after the first pass with the Rex on a 4 vs the first pass with the GC. Maybe a slight edge in efficiency to the Rex on a 4. But as I said before, the GC is smoother, and the blade angle is easy to find and maintain, you shouldn't have any problems with the GC if you use the Rex on a 2 most of the time. Kudos on the Gillette Silver Blue, that blade and the Nacet are my two favorites. Hope this helps.
Helps indeed. Thanks again!

I have GC .84-P SB since christmas and no matter how much I want to love it, it's too harsh for my sensitive skin. I'm goiong to sell it and buy Rockwell 6S (anyone interested in selling one can PM me, but I'm from Europe).

That was my experience. Too efficient for me to use it daily.

After few shaves with Rockwell 6S, I don't understand how can someone prefer Gamechanger. Of course it's a YMMV thing but I can get so much closer and smoother shave with zero irritation with Rockwell. It's like whole different league of shaving experience for me.

^^There are horses for different courses, as they say.

Until I got my H&SCo. N075, the 6S was my "smooth but still efficient-enough" daily razor champ. I used the 6S pretty much exclusively for 20 months. Awesome performer for me. There are just a lot of shavers who want/need blade exposure, and the 6S does not provide that for those guys.

After few shaves with Rockwell 6S, I don't understand how can someone prefer Gamechanger. Of course it's a YMMV thing but I can get so much closer and smoother shave with zero irritation with Rockwell. It's like whole different league of shaving experience for me.

For me, the answer is easy. The GC84 is miles more efficient than the 6S, yet just as smooth.

For me, the answer is easy. The GC84 is miles more efficient than the 6S, yet just as smooth.
My exact same sentiments. I had the 6S and was blown away by the good shaves I had with it, but for me, anything below the 4 plate was just not efficient and downright frustrating. I had the GC 68 at the same time and found it to be plenty mild yet gave a great shave. I have since stepped up to the 84 and find that is a real sweet spot. 84 really is a great razor. At first I thought it might be a bit aggressive for a daily shaver, but I think I was able to advance my technique a bit further and found the 84 was much more gentle if I allowed it to just do its thing.

My GC 84 SB just arrived. This is my first machined SS razor and I'm pretty tickled with the look and feel of it. Bought it used at a great price. Handle a bit long and heavy maybe but that can be fixed. RR UFO handle $25 shipped to UK. I'm guessing that's US Dollars no???

I'll have to wait a few days to shave with the GC as I've just shaved with a EJ 3ONE6. Nice deep shave but rough as a badgers testaculars ATG.

the 84p Game changer with HD handle arrived 4 days ago, my first shave with it was 2 days ago. I did not know what to expect from the razor (other than reading reviews) so I threw in a new Wilkinson sword blade (Germany) to be safe. my preshave routine is great and gets the beard hairs upright. On my first stroke I immediately felt a difference in terms of efficiency. I would rate this razor a 4 on a Gillette slim with the wilk razor I put in. This razor is just as smooth as my 68 gc w/barber pole handle. One pass with the 84, was like a 2 pass with the 68. The area around my chin and side of lips is an area where I get irritation after a day or 2 where I usually get a few small tiny whiteheads when going against the grain with the 68. with the 84 amazingly I have no irritation, less passes to get a bbs, the beard got cut incredibly smooth and with great ease. Very impressed with the performance, comfort,efficiency, I don't see this getting more aggressive than a 5 on a Gillette slim when I put in a gsb or G-nacet blade.

Shaved with my .84 SB for the first time last night. Great. I'm very happy with it, especially ATG. No fuss pick it up and shave type of razor. No drama and no special education needed to get it to work. Just as a good razor should be.
I'll try the 3ONE6 one more time then sell it. No point faffing around with a razor when The Game Changer is such an easy shave. :thumbup1:

I get my best shaves now with my .84-P. I like pairing it off with my lightest handle, an ATT aluminum bamboo - 20g. The other best shave razor is my ATT H1.

Been using the GC 84 OC for 10 shaves this month. Hands down the thing that blows me away the most is how easy it is to get under my nose. It took me a bit to get the best shaves out of it, but I am really enjoying how easy it is.

I have GC .84-P SB since christmas and no matter how much I want to love it, it's too harsh for my sensitive skin. I'm goiong to sell it and buy Rockwell 6S (anyone interested in selling one can PM me, but I'm from Europe).
Are you a daily shaver? I'm strictly a 6S guy for daily use, but the GC is great for when I let the stubble grow a few days. You don't want to shave repeatedly over the same spot with the GC, but you can get away with that and almost anything else short of throwing the razor at your face with the 6S.

Are you a daily shaver? I'm strictly a 6S guy for daily use, but the GC is great for when I let the stubble grow a few days. You don't want to shave repeatedly over the same spot with the GC, but you can get away with that and almost anything else short of throwing the razor at your face with the 6S.
I shave daily with 6S but I was not able to with GC due to irritation. GC just didn't click with me for some reason. There was a pretty significant blade feel but the closeness of the shave was not there. After 2 weeks with 6S i don't see myself buying anything else. I have no need to rotate razors or brushes. Minimalism and simplicity is my thing :)

I shave daily with 6S but I was not able to with GC due to irritation. GC just didn't click with me for some reason. There was a pretty significant blade feel but the closeness of the shave was not there. After 2 weeks with 6S i don't see myself buying anything else. I have no need to rotate razors or brushes. Minimalism and simplicity is my thing :)
Amen. But as I have what technically might be called the losies, the dropsies, and the forgetsies, and several other razors, I'm not going to travel with my 6S. In fact, I like to travel with my 1962 Gillette Slim, even though it is nowhere near as good in any way as the 6S. It makes me feel like I'm Frank Sinatra in his prime or James Bond. And yes, I know James Bond is a fictional character. Leave me alone. :001_smile

Top Bottom