What's new

RR GC .84 OH MY LORD HAVE MERCY

GC is amazingly tolerant of blade variety. No other DE seems as flexible for blades. Disappointed that I couldn’t get a SS Lupo despite logging on shortly after several announcements of availability. The frustration with that tarnished my support of and good feelings towards the company, but probably not forever.

The GC sure is one of the new ones I would consider trying. These types of threads make me almost add one to my cart!

Just had my first shave with my GC .84 with the Radio Knob Handle and it was like heaven. I have been shaving with my Rex Ambassador for the past several months since I purchased it. Compared to the Rex, the GC is smoother, and just as efficient imo. I normally do my first pass with the Rex on a 4, then 3 for xgrain then 2 for the final against the grain and touch ups. This is not to say the Rex isn't a smooth razor, I just think the GC is noticeably smoother. I struggled with the Rex at first because I wasn't used to such an efficient razor with that much blade feel. I get little to no blade feel with the GC and its smoother. I am actually kind of sad that after only one shave, I think I prefer the GC over the Rex... and the dang thing cost $57 dollars. Top notch product for the price. I just ordered a second one with the super knurl handle before they sell out again. Two GC's purchased and I still haven't spent half of what I spent on the Rex. I will keep using the Rex because I have mastered it over the past few months and get incredible shaves with it. I can honestly say the GC is so smooth I could probably shave with it blindfolded without worry of cutting myself. So happy I picked this one up.

Just had my first shave with my GC .84 with the Radio Knob Handle and it was like heaven. I have been shaving with my Rex Ambassador for the past several months since I purchased it. Compared to the Rex, the GC is smoother, and just as efficient imo. I normally do my first pass with the Rex on a 4, then 3 for xgrain then 2 for the final against the grain and touch ups. This is not to say the Rex isn't a smooth razor, I just think the GC is noticeably smoother. I struggled with the Rex at first because I wasn't used to such an efficient razor with that much blade feel. I get little to no blade feel with the GC and its smoother. I am actually kind of sad that after only one shave, I think I prefer the GC over the Rex... and the dang thing cost $57 dollars. Top notch product for the price. I just ordered a second one with the super knurl handle before they sell out again. Two GC's purchased and I still haven't spent half of what I spent on the Rex. I will keep using the Rex because I have mastered it over the past few months and get incredible shaves with it. I can honestly say the GC is so smooth I could probably shave with it blindfolded without worry of cutting myself. So happy I picked this one up.
The GC .84 does it again!! You're the second person who has said that it outperforms razors which cost way more.

I really like my .84 SB, had it since launch. Finally decided to try the OC and have one on the way. Too many people say they love it.

My friend, that refrain has been voiced by FAR more than two people on this Forum!
Absolutely correct! I meant that on this specific thread 2 people have confirmed they have had both the GC and the higher end premium razors(Like Rex Ambassador and Timeless). But that should come as no surprise with a name like GAME CHANGER.

The OC .84 arrived today. Can’t shave until tonight, but man is this handle hefty. Looks great and can’t wait to compare it to my well loved .84.
6354DF7E-F2AA-4476-80A4-0A49E3FA54B9.jpeg
8CB2F3FB-86EA-42CF-9B0B-6E17B000CEBB.jpeg
ACCEE792-BAEE-463F-A332-6C86F46F7954.jpeg

First shave with the OC GC.84:

I have been a fan of the SB for over a year now. Love both the .68 and .84 GC. Well the OC was a tad more efficient and provided perfect BBS results. Still very smooth and I personably think open combs in general work better ATG, the OC .84 shines ATG.

What a great shave! Right up there with Rockwell 6s on 5 and Rex Ambassador on 3.

Easily top 3 shavers in my Den. Outshaves the Karve and ATT too in my opinion.
66A689E4-0FF7-4BA9-867B-5E70E52AA35C.jpeg

Now I just need someone to compare it to a Charcoal Goods level and Timeless .68 for me. Those are on my list to try.

Which plate(s) in the Karve are you comparing with?

C and D SB brass the .85 and .98 plates on the Karve. I also had a C open comb in brass. Didn't find it as efficient IMO, passed it on. Right now I just have a Rex, 6s, GC.84 and .84 OC, and several vintage Gillette’s. After being on the forums several years, I’m picky about what I keep.

C and D SB brass the .85 and .98 plates on the Karve. I also had a C open comb in brass. Didn't find it as efficient IMO, passed it on. Right now I just have a Rex, 6s, GC.84 and .84 OC, and several vintage Gillette’s. After being on the forums several years, I’m picky about what I keep.

Thanks. Just curious because I’m using the GC OC .84 daily now, but I have a brass Karve with the OC - E plate on order. I have no complaints at all with the CG, it’s a great razor, and if the Karve doesn’t surpass it I’ll be happy shaving with either or both of them.

The GC .84 does it again!! You're the second person who has said that it outperforms razors which cost way more.

Don't get me wrong, I still love the Rex. If anything, I learned how to properly shave thanks to the aggressiveness and blade exposure. But I cannot deny the quality and price of the GC .84. I basically feel like for the price this razor is an absolute steal for how well it shaves, plus being stainless steel it will last a lifetime. It's now my new number 1, but the Rex certainly isn't going anywhere. I just have a thing for adjustable's I guess.

Great post Sir Charles. I really enjoy my Rex Ambassador but am curious to try the GC 0.84 SB. In your experience, what setting on the Ambassador would be closest in terms of efficiency and aggression? For me, my favorite setting is 2 with a moderate blade such as Gillette Silver Blue. Thanks!

Top Bottom