What's new

RR GC .84 OH MY LORD HAVE MERCY

GC .68 ordered. See, a love-fest like this thread is why I need to stay away from forums - makes it too easy to spend money. :biggrin1:

I'm new to DE shaving, at this point I only have one of the Gillette Heritage jobbers that came out recently (I liked the case and intended to use it while traveling). It's been a positive experience so I've been scoping out SS options. I was prepared to spend more, but I stumbled across this thread (and have since read others like it) - the almost universal praise of the GCs and their value proposition got me. Since I am new, I opted for the more mild 68, but will keep the 84 plate in mind in the future if all goes well.

Anyway, looking forward to receiving my GC soon!

Back in January I said I’d compare my GC OC .84 with the Karve OC-E when I received it. Since then a few things changed:
  • I got tired of waiting, cancelled my Karve order, and bought a used Karve brass with E and F Sb plates
  • had my shoulder replacement before I got a chance to shave with the Karve
  • started shaving left handed
So, I’ve now had 12 left handed shaves, 2 with a 34HD, 6 with the GC OC .84, and 4 with the Karve (one with the F, three with the E). Now I know shaving left handed may not be a totally fair comparison, but to my surprise it didn’t seem to make a difference with the GC, other than taking twice as long. Since I’ll be left handed shaving for at least another month, I thought I’d do a comparison now.

In a nutshell, I did not find the Karve more comfortable than the GC, as many others seem to have. The F plate was too much for me, the shave was uncomfortable and did produce some irritation. The E plate, over three shaves, ga e really good results, but with less comfort than the GC. I also found it less intuitive to find the optimum angle, unlike the GC.

So, I’ll reserve final judgement until I can shave with my right hand again, but I’m becoming pretty convinced I may have found my grail razor in the OC .84. I’ve used it with Astra, Nacet, polsilver, and feather; all good for 12 - 16 hour shaves with comfort and no irritation. What more can one ask?

My JAWS plate was waiting for me when i got home from work yesterday-along w/ the unnamed soap from RR (love the glass jar!). Fortunately, I had not shaved since Sunday, so this was the 1st test for the JAWS.

I removed the Feather blade from the .84 SB (7 shaves in) and loaded it onto the JAWS andf then lathered up with RR NoName SS. Great lather!

I completed 3 passes ( W, X, A); on the 2nd, I nicked 2 spots in my chin area-however, by the end of the shave , they weren't evident. Splashed on some enhanced AV(mucho menthol crystals added), relished/felt the sting, and began faceturbating.

This was the best shave I have had this year so far-even better than the shaves I was getting w/ the .84 SB. I will see how many more shaves I can get out of the blade (up to 24 w/ the SB) and see how it performs once it's loaded w/ a new Feather eventually.

No stubble returned until 16 hours later! Normally, I only do 2 passes w/ the .84 SB which results in a DFS/CCS every time. I wonder how this will be w/ only 2 passes, but with this plate and the original, I truly may not need another razor ( not sure if I should be happy or sad???) since the only other razors I would use are the Tribute R41+ or the Muhle R41 (2011 & 2013).

marty

My JAWS plate was waiting for me when i got home from work yesterday-along w/ the unnamed soap from RR (love the glass jar!). Fortunately, I had not shaved since Sunday, so this was the 1st test for the JAWS.

I removed the Feather blade from the .84 SB (7 shaves in) and loaded it onto the JAWS andf then lathered up with RR NoName SS. Great lather!

I completed 3 passes ( W, X, A); on the 2nd, I nicked 2 spots in my chin area-however, by the end of the shave , they weren't evident. Splashed on some enhanced AV(mucho menthol crystals added), relished/felt the sting, and began faceturbating.

This was the best shave I have had this year so far-even better than the shaves I was getting w/ the .84 SB. I will see how many more shaves I can get out of the blade (up to 24 w/ the SB) and see how it performs once it's loaded w/ a new Feather eventually.

No stubble returned until 16 hours later! Normally, I only do 2 passes w/ the .84 SB which results in a DFS/CCS every time. I wonder how this will be w/ only 2 passes, but with this plate and the original, I truly may not need another razor ( not sure if I should be happy or sad???) since the only other razors I would use are the Tribute R41+ or the Muhle R41 (2011 & 2013).

marty
They recently released .68 in OC and JAWS as well. Very interested in how that holds up to the .84 OC/JAWS

Happy new year everybody.

I just received a brand new Razorock Gamechanger .84 straight bar as a gift from my brother. I must say this is unlike any other razor I have ever used. The SMOOOTHEST razor with amazing efficiency(Shaved a 5 day growth with a Personna Lab blue) and this is coming from someone who's owned a de89,muhle r41,39c,Fatip OC and Testina Gentile.

If I had to rank all my razors this is how it would go:

1) GC .84
2) GC .84
3) GC .84
100) GC .84
101)Testina Gentile
102)39c
103)Fatip OC
104)de89
105) Muhle r41

PHENOMENAL way of starting the year and decade. First experience with the higher premium end razors and now this leaves me wondering how much better can it get?
Ok. I am in. Trying it on your recommendation.

Top Bottom