What's new

Royal Warrant branding outside of the UK

Most UK posters will be aware of Royal Warrants, companies that supply goods and services to the British Royal Household (either to the Queen, the Duke of Edinburgh and/or the Prince of Wales (you can have a different Royal Warrant awarded by each one)). This enables companies like Kent Brushes, D.R. Harris, Floris London, Molton Brown, Truefitt & Hill, Aston Martin, Johnny Walker and a host of others to market themselves as warrant holders and can display the applicable warrant symbol on their products/website/shop signs.

However, I was wondering if they market themselves like this overseas? Is it seen as a "selling point" overseas (possibly in the Commonwealth)?

Doc4

Stumpy in cold weather
Staff member
However, I was wondering if they market themselves like this overseas? Is it seen as a "selling point" overseas (possibly in the Commonwealth)?

I've seen them on products here in Canada. I'm not familiar enough with which company holds warrants in the UK to say which, if any, don't use them abroad in Canada. Generally, I don't think people here put too much stock in them. Probably a few do, and a few take a negative view, and most don't really care.

It's kind of like the alcohol labels with gold medals from a hundred years ago ...
1588262958125.png

Ridpath

FIGHTER!
In certain countries, I think it is a selling point. I know, for example, Yardley’s prominently displays its royal warrant on its soap packaging in Malaysia, a commonwealth country, and Truefitt & Hill also displays the warrant in their store, maybe not as prominently.

I do not ever recall seeing advertisements revolving around the royal warrant, though; they’re more of a “silent” marketing feature.

This . . . /\/\/\ kind of like how Rolls Royce does not bother posting performance specs for their vehicles. They figure an educated consumer either already knows (or has a good idea) or simply does not care.

In certain countries, I think it is a selling point. I know, for example, Yardley’s prominently displays its royal warrant on its soap packaging in Malaysia, a commonwealth country, and Truefitt & Hill also displays the warrant in their store, maybe not as prominently.

I do not ever recall seeing advertisements revolving around the royal warrant, though; they’re more of a “silent” marketing feature.

Interesting that it is still used in Commonwealth countries, which I guess makes sense with the Queen being "head of the commenwealth".

Yes, it is generally a "silent" marketing feature in the UK as well, the seal on packaging or storefronts but not something they shout about.

I've seen them on products here in Canada. I'm not familiar enough with which company holds warrants in the UK to say which, if any, don't use them abroad in Canada. Generally, I don't think people here put too much stock in them. Probably a few do, and a few take a negative view, and most don't really care.

It's kind of like the alcohol labels with gold medals from a hundred years ago ...
View attachment 1094087

Probably similar in the UK, some people see it as a nice/cool/upmarket selling point, some probably avoid them as they are anti-royalist and most don't care.

Yes, I don't think I have ever paid attention to the ancient gold/silver/bronze medal spirits!

So far it sounds like its mainly Commonwealth countries that keep the branding. Would be interesting to see if its the same in non-Commonwealth?

There are actually some legal ramifications, as well. I know golf courses love to append "Royal" onto their names. I think that, so long as their is no implied reference to the Crown in their marketing, the Monarchy lets it slide.

If I remember correctly, Royal Montreal Golf Club in Quebec is the only course in Canada legally allowed to use the regal imprimatur, having acquired a warrant at their founding.

There are actually some legal ramifications, as well. I know golf courses love to append "Royal" onto their names. I think that, so long as their is no implied reference to the Crown in their marketing, the Monarchy lets it slide.

If I remember correctly, Royal Montreal Golf Club in Quebec is the only course in Canada legally allowed to use the regal imprimatur, having acquired a warrant at their founding.

Yes, definite legal ramifications for claiming a Royal Warrant or using their coat of arms without permission.

Had never thought about golf clubs, but just looked into and you need to apply for and be granted "Royal" status and its confined to the Commonwealth.

British Open 2017: How does a golf club get to call itself "Royal"? - Golf Digest - https://www.golfdigest.com/story/british-open-2017-how-does-a-golf-club-get-to-call-itself-royal-a-primer

It looks like there are a few Canadian ones.

That of course would only be for the British Royals. I assume its the same for other Royal Families.