What's new

Royal Red DE Blades

Has anybody tried Royal Red DE Blades i saw them on AMAZON . i just returned to using a safety razor after 20 years looking at some sample variety blades at AMAZON any suggestions heavy beard sensitive skin thank you STONEYCLAW USN DISABLED VET.

Last edited:

nemo

Lunatic Fringe
Staff member
Looks like a DE blade cut in half for a shavette. Not what you want, you probably should order a sampler pack from someone like West Coast Shaving with a popular variety.

Looks like a DE blade cut in half for a shavette. Not what you want, you probably should order a sampler pack from someone like West Coast Shaving with a popular variety.

I'm guessing he means the DE blades here: http://www.amazon.com/Royal-Red-Pre...ef=sr_1_2?s=hpc&ie=UTF8&qid=1385696296&sr=1-2 not the shavette blades.

I have never heard of these blades. The description says "Precision German Technology". That could mean they come from the plant in Solingen, Germany. But it might not mean "made in Germany". Since you have just returned to DE shaving, I'd suggest you steer clear of taking a flyer with seemingly no reviews out there. As nemo says, a sampler pack (from WCS, Bullgoose, Italian Barber--hell, even Amazon if you want) might offer you a better value until you know what you really like.

But those Royal Reds are decently priced (you can get Voskhod, Personna Lab blades and many others at that price). So if you try them and don't like them, you won't be out much money. Just have something else on hand in case you don't like them. And please, report back if you try them.

I too have the heavy beard/sensitive skin combo. It took me a while to find the right blade for my face. Derby's are popular because they are inexpensive and easy on the skin. Unfortunately, for me anyway, they could not stand up to my heavy beard. Even a new blade pulled. After that I went to the opposite extreme, the highly regarded Feathers. It is samurai sharp, but made mincemeat of my skin.

I have settled on the Gillette Silver Blues(often referred to as GSB on this forum) and the Polsilver Super Iridium as my favorite blades. They are both sufficiently sharp, but smooth and forgiving. I am certain that other people can recommend blades that would suit your needs.

Perhaps you can give one of the good retailers a call(Westcoast or Bullgoose come to mind) and they can make a custom sample pack to suite your needs. I don't know if it is possible, but it is certainly worth a try.

Has anybody tried Royal Red DE Blades i saw them on AMAZON . i just returned to using a safety razor after 20 years looking at some sample variety blades at AMAZON any suggestions heavy beard sensitive skin thank you STONEYCLAW USN DISABLED VET.
I contacted MD Barber Supply and they told me one with an average beard should expect 2 to 4 good shaves from each blade. I have yet to try them; that's just what they said. I have used for some time now the Personna Blue lables found on ebay for about 13 bucks/100. Made in the US and I get about 10 shaves out of each blade with little or no irritation. I have a tough beard with not that sensitive of skin. They work for me plus it supports American workers too. I use a 1939 fat handle tech from Gillette to shave with.

Last edited:
Top Bottom