What's new

Rough spot on Merkur 39c Head

I picked up a second-hand Merkur 39c and noticed before trying it out that I could feel a rough spot or a snag on the top piece with my finger. I tried my best to take a picture of it with my phone, but all I could get was the white spot where it caught the light in the second scallop from the end of the razor head.

Any advice for fixing this without damaging the finish? I thought about trying my Dremel with some rubbing compound, but I'm worried about ruining the razor. I'm looking for advice on how to fix this, I'm not interested in returning the razor.

Thanks.

$IMAG0011-1.jpg

I would not think you could smooth "a rough spot" without grinding and replating. A new razor may be cheaper.

Or you could just say you invented a single edge slant. Shave with the smooth side then next day flip the blade and use the smooth side of the razor again.

This would be my advice too - The heads of Merkur razors are made from a cast zinc-based alloy which is plated with copper then nickel then chrome - any grinding will wear through the plating and once the zinc alloy is exposed the plating will begin to lift off the rest of the head and the alloy will pit causing many more rough spots etc.

If it doesn't cause discomfort when shaving, just leave well alone. To be honest many heads have some level of roughness. I have a vintage Hoffritz Slant that I replated, but it did have some pitting to the head - it shaves absolutely fine though.

If it does not snag your face, I would just leave it.

If it does not snag your face, I would just leave it.

This would be my advice too - The heads of Merkur razors are made from a cast zinc-based alloy which is plated with copper then nickel then chrome - any grinding will wear through the plating and once the zinc alloy is exposed the plating will begin to lift off the rest of the head and the alloy will pit causing many more rough spots etc.

If it doesn't cause discomfort when shaving, just leave well alone. To be honest many heads have some level of roughness. I have a vintage Hoffritz Slant that I replated, but it did have some pitting to the head - it shaves absolutely fine though.

Try it and see, it may be a case of much to do about nothing. Seems a lot of that around here!

I think you have discovered why people say the Mule, and EJ have a better finish. I don't think they have that great of quality control, but try it. If it bothers your face, even though you said not to suggest it perhaps you should return it. You said you got it second hand so they previous owner must have known of the defect, unless it just did not bother him. Seems if it is rough on the face they sold it knowing about the issue. Of course if it was fully disclosed prior to the sale, then it is another story.

Unfortunatelyin our disposable world it is likely cheaper to replace than to re-plate.

Thanks for the advice, I'll give this razor a try and see if I notice it while shaving. It was just a real surprise while running my finger across the razor (without a blade) to feel a rough spot. I guess I was hoping it was something like metal flash that could be rubbed off, but I did try with a leather belt and that did not work.

Thanks for the advice, I did give the razor a try this morning and I did not notice the rough spot in the finish. I did get a very close, long-lasting shave plus a few weepers. I think, once I get the angle and technique down on this one, I'm going to like this razor.

Top Bottom