What's new

Rough Rider - Masons razor

I would appreciate some info on this razor, it’s a brand I am not familiar and the masons etch and wording is very interesting.

C65B8626-CAD8-461C-BC0A-0891E970D014.png

I think I saw those for sale in Smokey Mountain Knife catalog. RSO? I will go see if I have one (catalog) still for a pic

Here you go. Have not held one but my guess was RSO

Quote:

The Rough Ryder "A Tribute to Free Masonry" Razor features Blue Smooth Bone Handle and 440A Stainless Steel Blades. Makes a great everyday carry knife. Be sure to grab yours today or get one for a friend.

My first thought was it's the same Rough Rider who make cheap but decent pocket knives in China. If Smokey Mountain sells it that pretty much confirms it. They certainly know how to heat treat the 440A used on their knives.

Last edited:

Steve56

Ask me about shaving naked!
Henckels stainless is reportedly ice-hardened/cryo 440 series, which one of the 440 series is argued quite extensively on knife forums.

BUT.... The kicker here is that it’s described and sold as a knife, so the bevel angle is probably way off for a razor if you lay it flat on a hone. So yes, RSO it seems.

Why 440a and not 440c?
I mean 440c can be tempered harder than 440a.
Any thought behind it?

Why 440a and not 440c?
I mean 440c can be tempered harder than 440a.
Any thought behind it?
Cheap. And since there are no intentions to make something that would actually shave...
After all, we are talking here about a place that cut infant formula with melanin to cut on cost.

The shape is not the typical RSO though, I could have been fooled.

rbscebu

Girls call me Makaluod
The most obvious reason would be it’s cheaper.
Not quite. There are some reasonable SRs that are cheap (like under USD 20), provided that you can set a bevel and do a progression. E.G. Some Gold Dollars.

From the pic, the blade is at least a 5/8. The listing gives a thickness of only 1/8" (3.2mm). That gives a bevel angle of only about 10deg. That in particular would indicate to me an RSO.

Mind you, my first was a similar 5/8 RSO. I trimmed it down to a 3/8 and it made a good eyebrow stripper for one of my girlfriends.

Top Bottom