What's new

ROTD Run Of The Day : post yours

JWCowboy

Probably not Al Bundy
Been a while since I've posted in this thread, but here's an update. Ran my usual 1.6 mile route in my 'hood this morning pre dawn. My daily streak has been going since Feb 28th, 2020. If my maths is correct (channeling @Owen Bawn here) that is 426 straight days. So if I'm gunning for a Cal Ripken Jr like streak only 2206 more days to go I think? This was inspired by @GaryTha

So 2020 I logged well over 600 miles. At the end of this month I'll have 250 logged for this year so I think I should be on pace to get 750 in 2021. Right now I'm getting about 14.5 per week, (1.6 Monday-Friday then 3-3.5 each on Saturday & Sunday) I'm thinking of trying to go for 1000 in 2022. It's only like 2.75 per day so very doable. I'm getting close to 50 and think it would be neat to log 1000 miles a year every year of my 50s.

FWIW my daily shaving streak matches my daily running streak. So these have now essentially become habits. Now I've just got to get back on the wagon with my daily reading. Goal is to read 45 minutes a day every day. Running, Shaving, Reading. That's the 3 daily habits I'm looking to invest in.

I'm in Florida too, used to run a 4 miler in Wekiva State Park, where is that shot taken? if I may ask.
Sure! That’s in North Ft. Myers at a series of equine and hiking trails at Prairie Pines. Cool spot that is ideal for trail running in dry season, but too wet when the rains start in June.

I took that photo as I was cooling down on the elevated, crushed shell path that stays dry all year. The trail is to the right or dead ahead, as it also parallels the shell path then curves left at the start.

Last edited:
Sure! That’s in North Ft. Myers at a series of equine and hiking trails at Prairie Pines. Cool spot that is ideal for trail running in dry season, but too wet when the rains start in June.

I took that photo as I was cooling down on the elevated, crushed shell path that stays dry all year. The trail is to the right or dead ahead, as it also parallels the shell path then curves left at the start.
It looks like a great route. Thanks for sharing.

Commander Quan

Commander Yellow Pantyhose
First 1/2 marathon is in the books. It was harder than I expected it to be a week ago, but easier than I expected it to be 6 months ago. I ran the entire race with a friend and we had a great time. The goal was never to finish in a certain time, but to do the training and get comfortable at longer distances. :thumbup1:

I managed to get about 30KMs in over Fri, Sat Sunday. I'm trying to get back to my regular half-marathon long run on the weekend, I just needs some more base fitness and flexibility in posterior chain.
This year has been very challenging trying to fit running around juggling the kids and trying to recover from colds/sinus infections.
I'd like to get under 4 hours for the Marathon, there is an event in October which is doable with focus and consistent training.

3.2 miles. Interrupted twice: first for a nature break (made it back home!), then by a pursuing Yorkie. Normally I would have let him run with me and let the owner chase him down, but Buddy was kinda cute. His owner said, “He never does that,” twice. I’m guessing I looked old, slow, and vulnerable to that yappy little furball.

Started training for a half marathon to be run in November. I've done a few 10ks and ran that length last Friday. I'm now using a three-runs-a-week training schedule I found online (short, quick runs on Tuesdays, mid-lengths on Thursdays and then the long runs on Sundays). If there's any other tips folks can give for getting in gear for halfs, would love to hear them.

If there's any other tips folks can give for getting in gear for halfs, would love to hear them.

Just try to be as fit as possible.

Running changed for me when I started thinking in weekly mileage, rather than daily. A half marathon is 13 miles so I'd recommend no less than 13 miles a week, but more would be better.

I run around 20 miles a week, six days a week, so if I was looking at a half marathon I'd start loading my mileage towards one long run a week, gradually. So instead of my normal 3 miles a day, I'd make Saturday my long day and increase it by one mile every week or two, taking miles and half miles off the other days, spread out as evenly as possible, aiming for 8 miles on the Saturday to start with. I'd take it no further than 10 or 11 miles, right before the half marathon day and have 2 days rest before the race, all the time keeping my weekly mileage at 21 miles a week. Then I know I'd be able to make the half marathon comfortably without getting hurt.

I'd use a similar approach for a full marathon, making sure my weekly mileage was above 26. And I like to run on different surfaces, avoiding pavement/sidewalk where possible. Asphalt is my favourite, but variety is important.

I ran for twenty five years, a little more, before my situation caught up with me. The first 10 years without a watch, no races, the purpose of my running was to improve the other sports I played. For me I found my point of diminishing returns as far as that was concerned was about six miles a day, 35 or 40 miles a week. More than that and it hurt rather than helped my tennis, basketball, baseball etc. Then I ran my first road race and I was hooked.
Sorry, I've turned a short bit of advice into a ramble. Once I started racing I found , up to a half marathon, a slow easy run of twice the race distance your training for once a week worked best for me. A 6 miler on Sundays when I was training for a 5k, 12 or so for a 10k. Speed work once or twice and the other days a medium pace run.

Ran my first 50K today!! 🙌🏼
02FAAB61-C719-47EB-974A-129B34373EE8.jpeg

Bogus 50/50 🏃🏽‍♂️😁

Wow…it’s been awhile. Heading out for a 5K with my daughter in a little bit. Looks like we’re not getting an afternoon Florida shower to cool things off. About 84 with FL humidity? Goal is simply to survive!

Turned out to be 85 with 64% humidity with a SW wind coming off the GOMEX. Feels like of 90°. Nice spot to run 5K around the lake, though. Felt brutal as I haven’t run in awhile, but a great vibe on Global Run Day!!
IMG_4539.jpeg

Last edited:
Top Bottom