What's new

ROTD Run Of The Day : post yours

As long as we're on breathing, if you can work a rhythm, your exhales should be quicker maybe explosive is a good word, and shorter than your inhales. I would inhale for two strides then a deep, short exhale on the third. This way my exhale would be on a right stride then left, right left etc. It didn't take long for the rythm to be almost instinctive. One or two runs. I was told it helped get more oxygen in. I worked that pattern out for me but my running buddy had a different one.

Explosive, yes! I experienced that very thing on yesterday's run. I noticed because every out breath was accompanied by a cloud of vapour. In any case everything felt smooth and relaxed.

0.87 miles

Dry but very cold again. Needed an extra pair of socks and gloves. Lengthened my inbreath and shortened my outbreath today. Felt good!

0.87ml.png

You're doing what counts the most. Consistency. You got to have easy days, a day off once a week, maybe two, but nothing takes the place of running , and running often.

I'll be back up to six days a week for next week, all being well. Then I'll start gradually increasing distance while I fight the urge to bang out a 2 miler. I hate rest days. If they didn't have a positive effect I wouldn't take any at all.

I’d like to get back to a couple runs a week, including the Friday 5K, but trails are still a bit moist with a wet start to the dry season in SWFL. This is Galt Preserve at the south end of Pine Island in St. James City, FL. The weather has been stellar lately!
9DFDA0F0-7CEC-41C8-BAF9-A2A04A6815DD.jpegBDECC255-35BB-480E-9793-0FADBA5E672C.jpeg59CF4573-E4A8-4FFB-B032-DC165CC33101.jpegAFB9166A-0E44-46F7-8EAB-8C2AFEB23B57.jpegC4FEE2ED-EB4A-4420-800F-92994B25985A.jpegF32B4CAA-2D6D-4806-947E-EBA201414996.jpeg

[/QUOTE]
I’d like to get back to a couple runs a week, including the Friday 5K, but trails are still a bit moist with a wet start to the dry season in SWFL. This is Galt Preserve at the south end of Pine Island in St. James City, FL. The weather has been stellar lately!
View attachment 1193937View attachment 1193938View attachment 1193939View attachment 1193940View attachment 1193941View attachment 1193942
Nice! I'm in central Florida and used to run a 4 miler at wekiva springs park. Beautiful run, I wish I had pictures

I'll be back up to six days a week for next week, all being well. Then I'll start gradually increasing distance while I fight the urge to bang out a 2 miler. I hate rest days. If they didn't have a positive effect I wouldn't take any at all.
Speaking of upping your distance, I know it seems too small and it requires discipline to not do more but a good rule of thumb for increasing distance is up it by 10% . Every two weeks or so until you're up to 3 or 4 miles then slow down the increase to maybe every 4 weeks. Injuries are more connected to doing something too fast, either running as fast as you can too often or increasing your distance too fast. Or so I've found.

Speaking of upping your distance, I know it seems too small and it requires discipline to not do more but a good rule of thumb for increasing distance is up it by 10% .

Yep, that's the general plan, although it might be a bit more than 10% under 2 miles but that's ok by me. After all, you have to start somewhere and the first run will always be more than that, since 10% of nothing is nothing. But from 2 miles upwards, definitely. I think that's how I got injured a couple of months back, going from 2 miles a day to 5 in about 4 or 5 weeks.

Today's 0.87 miles

Wet and windy but a nice, easy run!

0.87ml.png

Yep, that's the general plan, although it might be a bit more than 10% under 2 miles but that's ok by me. After all, you have to start somewhere and the first run will always be more than that, since 10% of nothing is nothing. But from 2 miles upwards, definitely. I think that's how I got injured a couple of months back, going from 2 miles a day to 5 in about 4 or 5 weeks.

Today's 0.87 miles

Wet and windy but a nice, easy run!

View attachment 1194665
You're right, 10% more or less. For instance, 10% up for you puts it at around .95 but you could round up to an even mile no sweat.

You're right, 10% more or less. For instance, 10% up for you puts it at around .95 but you could round up to an even mile no sweat.

I'm actually planning on doing a little more than that until I get to 12 miles a week. After that I'll be increasing my weekly mileage by around 10%, every 2 or 3 weeks. My daily mileage will go up considerably more, on certain days.

I'm actually planning on doing a little more than that until I get to 12 miles a week. After that I'll be increasing my weekly mileage by around 10%, every 2 or 3 weeks. My daily mileage will go up considerably more, on certain days.
Ok, good. Did you say six days a week earlier? 2 miles a day? That's solid.

Top Bottom