What's new

Rotbart Open Comb Razor

No pics because I got it at lunch, it looks like a Gillette New with the bar that fits into the baseplate but opens like a single ring tye with the baseplate attached to the handle and the top plate having a long threaded bar that goes through the handle.

Anyone have any info on this? Appears to be silver.

Looks like this (from the GNU thread)

$rotbart.jpg

When you take those apart there's a couple of acronyms, these refer to licensing (I looked it up), sort of the third Reich's version of a copyright symbol.
Does look like a short comb, did Rotbart design that only to have Gillette acquire it?

Here are the before and after cleanup shots. I am really unclear on the metals. The top plate plating is a little orange peeled and there is some brassing on the handle tube, but overall its not bad.

$SANY0021.jpg$SANY0022.jpg$SANY0023.jpg$SANY0024.jpg

When you take those apart there's a couple of acronyms, these refer to licensing (I looked it up), sort of the third Reich's version of a copyright symbol.
Does look like a short comb, did Rotbart design that only to have Gillette acquire it?

It looks like they copied Gillette with some things (it goes together just like the early Gillettes) and then Gillette returned the favor--I guess that's assuming this pre-dates the new with the bar guide.

Thanks Alex! Now to figure out how to date mine. I guess its possible it is a Gillette with the Rotbart trade name.

By the time this razor was made, Gillette had acquired Rotbart. OP's razor has an identical UK cousin: a 7 O'Clock (an English company also acquired by Gillette).
The lower razor in this pic is a 7 O'Clock (the upper one is a # 77).

attachment.php

Interesting. I used it this morning (with a fresh Astra blade) and it has potential. I think if you shaved with it every day you would get great shaves. It is not as intuitive as a New for me (correct angle is very steep because the blade is nearly flat) and it lacks some weight. But it's a cool piece of history.

Top Bottom