What's new

ROTBART MOND-EXTRA D.R.P angem D.R.G.M

I found this razor from a abandoned house (in the sauna) I took it as possibly for personal use since I've seen some in the stores and they are ecological. After I washed it and got some rust/dirt off I found some text so I Googled it and apparently it might be guite old. I just would like some information about this razor if someone has any to offer.
(there was 0 forced in entry!!!) the doors were open and the place was near a school.
I clearly wasn't the first one to visit there.
Anyways thanks if anyone can tell me something about this!
Ps. It has IMG_20201005_191311.jpg something carved on it in finnish but I'm not sure what.

Thank you
IMG_20201005_191311.jpg
IMG_20201005_191155.jpg
IMG_20201005_191132.jpg

Attachments

• IMG_20201005_191053.jpg
    IMG_20201005_191053.jpg
    4.3 MB · Views: 12

nemo

Lunatic Fringe
Staff member
Pre-war German Rotbart raised flat bottom razor, originally silver plated that came out of a Gillette/Roth-Büchner collaboration during the early Thirties. Shows German patent pending, Deutsches Reichspatent (DRP angem) they are generally dated from around 1932 through the mid-1930s to about 1937.

Search "rotbart raised flat bottom razor" here or on Google

@romsitsa will help us along soon

Some guy scratched his name on it, maybe a soldier.

P.S. What was "ecological"?

FarmerTan

"Self appointed king of Arkoland"
@nemo : I assumed that the OP was using ecological in the sense that you only have to dispose of the DE blade, vs. a cart razor.

R

romsitsa

Hello, it’s actually two Rotbarts. The handle and comb is a 1932-37 model (all brass) the cap a 1937-53 one (pot metal). The corners of the cap were removed so it can fit the earlier comb.
The 1932-37 model was a simple redesign of the original open comb head to accept the long slot blade of Gillette.
DRP. angem. stands for Gillettes patent for the New blade.

The 1937-53 model had a scalloped bar, do a search for Rotbart Nr 15 (although it wasn’t actually called Nr 15).

Hey VV that is an aggressive razor to start with. But that said it is also one of the best ever made. Start slowly. Very slowly.

Start reading up on the shave clinic and newbie check in sub forum to learn some more detail about how to use it effectively. Read up, pay attention, and most of all be very patient, and it will reward you with many fantastic shaves.

Best wishes, JM

Hey VV that is an aggressive razor to start with. But that said it is also one of the best ever made. Start slowly. Very slowly.

Start reading up on the shave clinic and newbie check in sub forum to learn some more detail about how to use it effectively. Read up, pay attention, and most of all be very patient, and it will reward you with many fantastic shaves.

Best wishes, JM

Ok i'll try. Thank yoy

This "old fashioned" technology is still the best way to shave. Closer, less irritation and cheaper than any cartridges or electrics I've tried.

Or.. maybe the 2nd best after straight razors ;)

You might nick yourself at first. Concentrate on finding the right angle. And don't press down hard! Just a very light pressure.

A good shaving soap helps to lubricate the skin. Arko, for example, is cheap as chips but a great performer.

Here is a great thread with a bunch of great links to lots of great starter information. +1 on Arko, slick and cheap.

Keep posting to this thread any questions you have, and good luck, JM

Top Bottom