What's new

“Rotations” ? Totally Unnecessary.

It wasn’t just what he said, but how he said it as well. It came off as deriding people for having shaving gear, on a shaving forum. My take could be wrong, but that’s the vibe I got. I don’t think anybody cares if people have one razor, brush and soap or hundreds. Enjoy the hobby however you like, as long as you’re enjoying it.
Maybe the OP just isn't very chatty.

I think it says a LOT about the mindset of some members on this forum that somebody saying "one good razor, blade and cream/soap is enough, you don't need 20 razors and a huge selection of blades and a closet full of goops" is taken as highly offensive trolling.

If that's offensive to you maybe you should take a good look at yourself rather than at the poster.

I agree with others who essentially say that a simple setup is absolutely good enough. But I love variety in life and have no regrets with my purchases. At the same time, I’ve slowly worked down my supply and will likely stick with 5 soaps and a couple of my razors for the majority of my shaves.

Of course it is possible to use a single razor, a single blade, a single brush, a single shaving soap or cream and a single aftershave. In the early 60s, that was typically the way things were done. Perhaps it was a Gillette Superspeed razor, a Gillette Super Blue carbon steel blade, a boar brush, a mug with Williams or Old Spice soap, and a bottle of Old Spice, English Leather, British Stirling, or Mennen Skin Bracer. There were not many options back then when you had to purchase at the local pharmacy or department store. Most men considered shaving a chore that had to be done to be socially acceptable. People did not shave because it was an enjoyable experience.

At the same time choices in media were also limited. In the USA, there were three TV networks available over the air with an antenna. There were no cable TV channels and no on-demand streaming. News was only available at specific times during the day. Your only choices were what the networks offered, when they chose to broadcast them. Newspapers and magazines flourished as a way for people to explore their personal interests.

Today, we had hundreds of choices in shaving products and hundreds of choice in media. Yes, you can chose to use the same shaving products for every shave; but that would be like watching the same episode of Seinfield every day for the rest of your life. No matter how good that particular episode might be, sooner or later it will get boring.

Variety keeps things interesting. That is why PT Barnum et al invented the three-ring circus. However, it is the multiplicity of entertainment choices that rendered the circus obsolete, even those with three acts going simultaneously. Alas, the circus, which had provided family entertainment for over 200 years is no more.

JCarr

More Deep Thoughts than Jack Handy
Maybe the OP just isn't very chatty.

I think it says a LOT about the mindset of some members on this forum that somebody saying "one good razor, blade and cream/soap is enough, you don't need 20 razors and a huge selection of blades and a closet full of goops" is taken as highly offensive trolling.

If that's offensive to you maybe you should take a good look at yourself rather than at the poster.

Live and let die.

That's not the part of the post that bothers me personally. Minimalists have been posting on the forum for a long time. It's this part that casts aspersions on members' characters:

"...if you want to feel pampered, I suggest a spa day with your wife and daughter. I cannot tell you what my dad (b.1921) or my grandfather (b.1901) might say if they read through some parts of B&B, but I am sure that at the least there would be amused smiles and some head-shaking.

If you want to have a connection to a manly past, then keep it simple. It’s all you need, and you’ll have a fatter wallet"

One razor and one soap and one blade...no problem there...go for it. But to feel the need to attack someone's masculinity and cast some kind of shamefulness on something that's...well...collecting shaving gear in a shaving forum...uhmmm...hold on there tough guy!

Connection to a manly past...too much. No one makes an old fashioned like dear old dad...Chip, Chip, Charlie, Robby.

I'm firmly in the minimalist camp (it's in my signature, after all), but I have no issues with people who aren't. Even I still try new things every once in a while, usually when my wife or a friend gets me something new that they think I might like. I usually find that I prefer what I had, but that's OK. Bottom line: If you view shaving as a hobby, do what makes you happy just so long as you can afford it and you don't frighten the horses.

I’m with @JCarr on this one. I don’t mind the minimalist or aspiring to it, if it’s what you like.
I do however think the OP could have left off the condescending BS about Spa days and scorn from previous generations.

Now that I think about it…hey @ibuzzard Thanks for giving this Dad/multiple razor owner/too many soaps/combat Vet a great idea…I’m booking a Daddy/Daughter Spa day! She will love that AND so will I.

As a fairly new wetshaver of nearly a year, I'm trying to walk the line between minimalism and extravagance.

I started with a Muhle R89 but quickly decided I wanted a 'forever' stainless razor so upgraded to the ASD2. Now it's the only razor I ever use and ever intend to use. I look forward to aging gracefully with it until it's an antique itself.

I've allowed myself three brushes for variety - one badger, one synthetic and one boar. All with metal handles to match the aesthetic of my razor and stand.

I'm allowing myself to rotate one cream and one soap at a time (currently some MWF and TOBS). Not allowed to replace them until they've finished, with the trade off that I'm planning on never buying the same one twice. Same deal with one splash and one balm at a time, trying a new variety each time they run out.

And I'm patiently working my way through my massive collection of sample blades while buying a bulk 100/200 set each time one jumps out at me as being particularly good (so far Feathers and GSBs).

While I totally agree that one razor, brush, soap/cream and aftershave is all everyone really needs, it's also boring and not fun at all no matter how good the razor is. Pretty much all of my razors shave great (otherwise I woudn't keep them) and the end result is almost the same, but the way they deliver it it's different and unique. Either my RR Lupo DC or my Schick adjustable type M3 are more than enough for me for the rest of my life without using any other razor, but that would be boring and I just can't do it :D.

I am happy for the OP and anybody who, like him, is satisfied with only one razor, one brush and (up to) two soaps.

You see, it all depends on one’s circumstances and preferences.
If I were thrown into a North Korean prison camp, I’d even be thankful to have one razor, one brush and (only) one shaving soap (plus one new Astra SS blade per week and some warm water in the morning please…:a18:).*

But until then, I would rather keep enjoying a more luxurious, less frugal lifestyle. :straight:

To each his own…
…and nobody should tell others what they need to do and what is (or isn’t) totally unnecessary.

My two bits…

B.

P.S.
* I do realize that in that (Astra SS and warm water) case I might be better off than the majority of North Korean shavers. :cool:

1632235481333.jpeg

Last edited:
"We all have our own McDonald's" ~Jim Gaffigan

I won't post a link to the video, you can google it, but it's so true. For some here, it's a lot of razors, others brushes and soaps, and something else for the OP (he isn't sharing); the goal is to just respect one another's "McDonald's," besides, you can good naturedly jab someone in the ribs without impugning their manliness--there's enough of that going around already.

I suggest a spa day with your wife and daughter. I cannot tell you what my dad (b.1921) or my grandfather (b.1901) might say if they read through some parts of B&B, but I am sure that at the least there would be amused smiles and some head-shaking.

"A spa day? What are you a homosexual son? Βack in my day yada yada yada..." That's what your dad and grandfather would probably say to you. There would have been no smiles or head-shaking. I assure you. It's easy to be a condescending ******* towards others. So don't ;) Times move on and so should we. We no longer use carriages to get around, we no long bathe in urine (that was a thing in the Middle Ages for some reason). Our women no longer use makeup filled with arsenic and ammonia. Μaybe If your father and grandfather had these seemingly endless option that we have now in shaving supplies they wouldn't be shaking their heads.

Top Bottom