What's new

“Rotations” ? Totally Unnecessary.

JCarr

More Deep Thoughts than Jack Handy
Jumping in on this one last time. Please note the OP only posted the original thread and hasn't chimed in on anybody's responses at all since posting it...even though there are now four pages of responses. As another member already noted, the OP's user ID shows: Joined B&B on January 7th, 2008...and yet...only has 35 messages posted with 12 reactions total. So...in thirteen years, 35 posts and 12 reactions. Remember, B&B is a data engine that can be used to look back on any user ID's posts. Please feel free to do so. I'd like to recommend that this thread be closed...anyone who posts this kind of thing on a shaving enthusiast/hobby website has to realize that they'll be "stirring the pot" at best. Memory serves that this happened about a year and a half ago: "We should be ashamed of ourselves, what would our parents think of us...etc., etc. ..." It's going to happen from time to time...let's be honest...a troll is a troll is a troll is a troll is a troll. Let's get this thread closed and let this go.

Jumping in on this one last time. Please note the OP only posted the original thread and hasn't chimed in on anybody's responses at all since posting it...even though there are now four pages of responses. As another member already noted, the OP's user ID shows: Joined B&B on January 7th, 2008...and yet...only has 35 messages posted with 12 reactions total. So...in thirteen years, 35 posts and 12 reactions. Remember, B&B is a data engine that can be used to look back on any user ID's posts. Please feel free to do so. I'd like to recommend that this thread be closed...anyone who posts this kind of thing on a shaving enthusiast/hobby website has to realize that they'll be "stirring the pot" at best. Memory serves that this happened about a year and a half ago: "We should be ashamed of ourselves, what would our parents think of us...etc., etc. ..." It's going to happen from time to time...let's be honest...a troll is a troll is a troll is a troll is a troll. Let's get this thread closed and let this go.
Well done Dr Watson you cracked the case.Just looked yep it's an idiot.Gave us all a laugh though some of the comments on here were hysterical.I agree sir now we know there's a lonely person out there we should close the thread.And they call me nuts 🤣

luvmysuper

My elbows leak
Staff member

His post in this thread was provocative, but not strictly against the TOU.
Folks can and will respond if they want to, despite any warning given.

My brother is a die hard fisherman. He says you don't need a fancy carbon fiber pole and an expensive reel.
He says all you really need to pull in the fish is some well placed bait.

How can one determine the "ONE GOOD" brush, razor, soap etc etc without having tried more than one of each category?
Before trying many a soaps and razors I thought that Proraso and the Rockwell 6S were the best. Alas I was wrong.
You find "the best" through trial and error. No matter how many reviews you read of people praising a certain product, you can't be sure that it's actually "the best" until you try it.

I guess my great grandfather would be disappointed in my woodshop too because I don't have one saw, one chisel, one plane.......

Attachments

• IMG_20210524_171148598.jpg
    IMG_20210524_171148598.jpg
    7.4 MB · Views: 27

steveclarkus

Goose Poop Connoisseur
What a fuss! Why so defensive? The OP simply stated his minimalist position regarding shaving. He obviously doesn’t regard shaving as a hobby and if if it isn’t a hobby for him, he is right. I got along with one razor for many years as did most and as do most still. I do have several straight razors but I have one brush I use, one aftershave and a box of Arko. After I learned to use a straight razor I gave my DE’s away. Like the OP, shaving, for me, is a necessity not a hobby. My hobbies are trout fishing and tying flies. I’ve always enjoyed shaving but it consumes only ten minutes of my day.

What a fuss! Why so defensive? The OP simply stated his minimalist position regarding shaving. He obviously doesn’t regard shaving as a hobby and if if it isn’t a hobby for him, he is right. I got along with one razor for many years as did most and as do most still. I do have several straight razors but I have one brush I use, one aftershave and a box of Arko. After I learned to use a straight razor I gave my DE’s away. Like the OP, shaving, for me, is a necessity not a hobby. My hobbies are trout fishing and tying flies. I’ve always enjoyed shaving but it consumes only ten minutes of my day.

Isn't being a connoisseur of goose poop a hobby too?

for me I have to try to know if its better :)
I do agree a point when things are close BUT I have found way bigger variances in comfort over many models and of course we all know this is personal one mans perfection is sandpaper to the other

I used to tell those who served above and below me that we in the military were in the "intolerance business;" if people respected and tolerated one another, we'd be out of a job. B&B like any group contains a spectrum of people and opinions and there are always those who like to reinforce/redefine the limits by being more restrictive or open, putting a stake in the sand and proclaiming "who's with me?" Recognize, respect and tolerate the spectrum, and participate in the group to broaden your appreciation for it -- it's a big tent. But then again, there is always an anarchist or two in the crowd who revel in the simple act of pulling the pin on a grenade, tossing it in the tent and walking away.

Jumping in late to this one... but based on OP's preference of a simple setup as well the title being "rotations totally unnecessary".

I think that's what makes wet shaving (and B&B) so great is that it brings lots of people come together, whether they are a minimalist or someone with 4-5 lifetimes of gear. It produces great shaves for folks that just want a good shave, or shavers that want to feed the big ole rabbit hole.

A minimalist that uses one soap for an entire puck may know how to use that soap better than others with a large rotations, while shavers with a large rotation may better assess and compare its performance to other soaps on the market. Both opinions and view points are totally valid but through slightly difference lenses, but remember the intended a common outcome from both is a good shave.

As someone with a pretty decent stash of stuff, I envy shavers with a small rotation. I think that I'm getting to having too large of a rotation that I forget some of the great stuff that I have for months before I try it again. I'd love to reduce a bit and just shave with what I love. But if I just want to use what I love, I should probably try some new soaps and razors to make sure I have the best :confused1

I keep it to three razors which I rotate weekly. Could I use one? Of course I could.

I also have six or seven soaps and three brushes. It's what works for me.

In a given week all of the brushes get used and most if not all of the soaps. A couple of go to blades.

Sent from my SM-G991U using Tapatalk

When it comes to brush, blades and razor I rarely change the basic routine of a Gillette contract tech, Gillette silver blue blade and a Simpson Trafalgar T2 brush. However when it comes to soaps and aftershave I do rotate what I use based on what I’m in the mood to use

Maybe the OP just isn't very chatty.

I think it says a LOT about the mindset of some members on this forum that somebody saying "one good razor, blade and cream/soap is enough, you don't need 20 razors and a huge selection of blades and a closet full of goops" is taken as highly offensive trolling.

If that's offensive to you maybe you should take a good look at yourself rather than at the poster.

Live and let die.

Last edited:
Top Bottom