What's new

“Rotations” ? Totally Unnecessary.

You need but one good razor, brush, maybe a couple different pucks of soap just to mix it up. I switch off Tabac and Mitchells Wool Fat, and need nothing else. I bought a Merkur razor , and a set which includes a brush, a stand, and a soap dish. They are all going strong and are all 13 years old, and no expiration date is on the horizon for any of them. I do not fret or lay awake at night at the thought of losing another badger bristle from a 200.00 custom brush. My gear has done yeoman’s duty, and has accompanied me to Iraq and Afghanistan and back home. I feel no need to spend recurring sums of money for things which won’t perform better than what my current gear does. I’ll wager you that my morning shave is as close, comfortable, and satisfying as yours. I buy a different bottle of Penhaligons each 8-10 months, I simply tell my wife what she got me for my birthday or Christmas.

Better is the enemy of good enough, I cannot remember who said that, but it is often true. A pack of 100 blades lasts me two years. Look, if you want to feel pampered, I suggest a spa day with your wife and daughter. I cannot tell you what my dad (b.1921) or my grandfather (b.1901) might say if they read through some parts of B&B, but I am sure that at the least there would be amused smiles and some head-shaking.

If you want to have a connection to a manly past, then keep it simple. It’s all you need, and you’ll have a fatter wallet

You need but one good razor, brush, maybe a couple different pucks of soap just to mix it up. I switch off Tabac and Mitchells Wool Fat, and need nothing else. I bought a Merkur razor , and a set which includes a brush, a stand, and a soap dish. They are all going strong and are all 13 years old, and no expiration date is on the horizon for any of them. I do not fret or lay awake at night at the thought of losing another badger bristle from a 200.00 custom brush. My gear has done yeoman’s duty, and has accompanied me to Iraq and Afghanistan and back home. I feel no need to spend recurring sums of money for things which won’t perform better than what my current gear does. I’ll wager you that my morning shave is as close, comfortable, and satisfying as yours. I buy a different bottle of Penhaligons each 8-10 months, I simply tell my wife what she got me for my birthday or Christmas.

Better is the enemy of good enough, I cannot remember who said that, but it is often true. A pack of 100 blades lasts me two years. Look, if you want to feel pampered, I suggest a spa day with your wife and daughter. I cannot tell you what my dad (b.1921) or my grandfather (b.1901) might say if they read through some parts of B&B, but I am sure that at the least there would be amused smiles and some head-shaking.

If you want to have a connection to a manly past, then keep it simple. It’s all you need, and you’ll have a fatter wallet
First of all you are right. No need for more. Shaved for years like that too. But it is BORING 🥱. Rotations are a way to keep a chore interesting, and no one ever said 200 dollar custom brushes are required or better, we just enjoy to have stuff custom made to our likings for our shaving rituals.

But of course you know all if this, so why your post ??????? See if we bite because you suggest some ancestor of yours might thinks we are not manly? Come on……..

Better is the enemy of good enough, I cannot remember who said that, but it is often true. A pack of 100 blades lasts me two years. Look, if you want to feel pampered, I suggest a spa day with your wife and daughter. I cannot tell you what my dad (b.1921) or my grandfather (b.1901) might say if they read through some parts of B&B, but I am sure that at the least there would be amused smiles and some head-shaking....
Voltaire supposedly wrote "The perfect is the enemy of the good."

I believe "Better is the enemy of good enough" is an old Italian proverb attributed to Giuseppe di Nulla.

More power to you for being content with your setup! I understand what you are saying about your dad and grandfather - but don’t have to agree. I hope you’re just sharing this perspective and not trying to preach or make people feel inferior. I have had periods of years using just one brush and razor and soap by a deliberate choice. And periods when I’m using 10+ razors and brushes and soaps each. It’s all good.

Hannah's Dad

I Can See Better Than Bigfoot.
Yeh but we're all a bit not right in the head.🤪
1631749112520.gif

True. But that's not the point of the OP.

Fair enough. OK. I'll engage with the main point. Most, but not all, people have some outlet for aesthetic enjoyment. For some, it is art. For some, it is food or wine. And so on. One of mine is enjoyment of the feel of different razors, different brushes, different soaps. So I have multiples. I don't need them, if the only goal is to accomplish a shave. But that's not my only goal.

I’m with @ibuzzard in having one razor, one brush and using one soap start to finish. Have been doing this for 10+ years. That’s the chore of shaving.

B&B is that and also the hobby of shaving and the hobby of collecting shaving gear and consumables. And the community.

If you want stamps only to mail bills and birthday cards, perhaps it would not be surprising to find that the members of online stamp societies have deeper interests in and collections of all things mail-related.

Top Bottom