What's new

“Rotations” ? Totally Unnecessary.

I don't need them, if the only goal is to accomplish a shave. But that's not my only goal.

I totally agree, and my rotations bring me a great amount of pleasure (while bringing my wife a great degree of consternation). So I'm with you in that it fulfills some basic desires for me and adds to my quality of life.

But, I do not need it to survive and therefore it is technically not a "need", IMHO.

Tirvine

ancient grey sweatophile
I get how the vast majority of us enjoy the variety offered by many razors, blades, soaps, aftershaves, and beyond, but the OP resonates with me. I use one razor, two blades, two brushes, and two after shaves. I might like only one blade and one soap, but I think i'd like one more aftershave.

...If you want to have a connection to a manly past, then keep it simple. It’s all you need, and you’ll have a fatter wallet

There's a "Minimalists" group under the Clubs and Brotherhoods section of the forum. You might feel at home there.

For awhile, those guys argued they didn't really need a group. Then, they couldn't decide what to call themselves (some people wanted to just call the group "M" so they could get rid of unneeded letters).

:huh:

But, I do not need it to survive and therefore it is technically not a "need", IMHO.

True, but a point that has never resonated with me. I'm not even sure I understand it. If we're going to get down to basic needs, a van down by the river, a bag of beans, and some way to cook them will do it. Shaving is out -- who NEEDS to be clean-shaven? Really, you don't need the van, if you can walk to the bean store.

Well yeah technically you don't even need a razor. You could just let the beard flow and trim it once a year with scissors or something. But using the gear is fun, acquiring new stuff is fun from time to time, and hanging out on here to show it all off and talk about it is really nice. Like most hobbies, it was never about "need", but it's all very therapeutic.

Messygoon

Abandoned By Gypsies.
Thank you @ibuzzard for your service, and for teeing up a thread full of replies that have me laughing out loud. I genuinely appreciate your contentment with the essentials, and strive to be more that way myself.

Granddad and dad were both issued Gillette razors during their service in the world wars. Much later, dad let me “shave” as a tyke with his empty Slim. That same razor was recently restored and now in daily use by my son (below, left). Dad appreciated good tools and a job well done. If he were still with us, I believe he’d nod in approval over his offsprings’ shave dens. But then he would rightly shake his head and kick my butt over bad choices.

Great thread, and thanks for bringing back fond memories.
EEDDFD4A-AE93-4B3B-847A-FDF33080AC76.jpeg

Top Bottom