Votes: 63 65.6%
  • Dedication to one product until its gone

Votes: 18 18.8%
  • Tracked

Votes: 8 8.3%
  • Not tracked

Votes: 17 17.7%

• Total voters
I rotate soaps daily so I have seven soaps, one for each day. When I use one up I can buy something else. On the vintage razors I do a double rotation, one Schick injector and one DE per weekend. The Rex and the Supply are split between the weekdays, but sometimes I keep the vintage razors going. These were my only two modern razors until my recent purchase of a Gillette Heritage. I was rotating the brushes, but I am now at a point where I am pairing them with the soaps. I have seven brushes that I use regularly. Aftershaves are part rotation and some are paired with specific soaps. Now that I see it in print it sounds nutz.

Go to the search function and enter:

Templates for Daily Shave Log and Shave Hardware & Software Directory
I'm getting a "404 Not Found" error when I click the link in @Canadian Mountain Man's template thread: https://drive.google.com/drive/folders/1xjwZaS-KMXprvvBsWEdSg335TxC_2xC7

Anywhere else to find them?

As for writing a journal... apparently, everybody has way more discipline than me. I have an extremely rudimentary tracking system that involves scribbling little notes on scraps of paper (like razor blade wrappers) and leaving them next to or under my shaving gear. For example, with blades, I'll write the date that I began using it and which side/number I started with. That seems obsessive enough!

musicman1951

three-tu-tu, three-tu-tu
There are no wrong answers. Some people have more soap than a store, some have one. Back in the day I would rather randomly rotate 8 creams/soaps.

Lately I'm down to just two at home. I mostly use MdC and occasionally use WK Pasha's Pride.

Currently, I use three razors, two brushes and four soaps. I use one razor for a month, alternate brushes daily and alternate soaps weekly. I am dedicated to GEM PTFE, Schick Proline and PPI favorites depending on the razor. Slowly I work through all the combinations on a three month cycle, giving each set a fair go weekly. No journal needed.

I have collection of soaps, brushes, razors (straight and DE) and blades. I never shave with the same setup two days in a row. Typically, I select a soap based on my mood that day. Then I select a brush based on the soap I picked. Finally, I will decide which razor or razors to use; sometimes I use a different razor for each pass; sometimes I will use one razor for the initial passes and then use another for cleanup.

I doubt if I will ever see the bottom of a soap container.

Not tracking it but I rotate wares randomly. I’m on a quest to find the best combination possible for me. It’ll take a few years I suppose.

Interesting that random rotation was by far the most common choice amongst an admittedly limited set of possibilities. I often wonder if things like this are partially driven by personality preferences. For example, I tend to prefer being orderly about most things, and I am sometimes borderline obsessive, like having 42 pages of outlined notes for a one-week vacation. It seems to me to make some sense that, without making a conscious choice, I drifted into a "dedication" sort of arrangement.

My wife, on the other hand, is one of those people who would think nothing of getting into the car to start driving for a vacation, and sometime during the day wonder where we are going to stay that night. Many of my motorcycling buddies were the same way...we'd agree to go for a long ride, and when I asked where, they would say "let's just get on the bikes and see where the road takes us!" I usually went along, but it always made my gut twist ever so slightly. I would imagine that many of them would be the "random rotation" types. Humanity in it's infinite variety!

Interesting that random rotation was by far the most common choice amongst an admittedly limited set of possibilities. I often wonder if things like this are partially driven by personality preferences. For example, I tend to prefer being orderly about most things, and I am sometimes borderline obsessive, like having 42 pages of outlined notes for a one-week vacation. It seems to me to make some sense that, without making a conscious choice, I drifted into a "dedication" sort of arrangement.

My wife, on the other hand, is one of those people who would think nothing of getting into the car to start driving for a vacation, and sometime during the day wonder where we are going to stay that night. Many of my motorcycling buddies were the same way...we'd agree to go for a long ride, and when I asked where, they would say "let's just get on the bikes and see where the road takes us!" I usually went along, but it always made my gut twist ever so slightly. I would imagine that many of them would be the "random rotation" types. Humanity in it's infinite variety!

I'm that type of person who is happy going wherever the wind takes me.

However when it comes to shaving, I think that as much as I like the idea of variety (and do own more razors/blades/brushes than I should), I like the concept of sticking with one soap and one razor for a good long while. The main reason I even switch my hardware is because I see my brushes/razors sit there on the shelf, and begin feeling guilty about some inanimate object not being used lol.

I'm exactly the same way as you. I write copious notes for even minor tasks. If I don't document everything, I get stressed out. That's why I voted "Orderly Rotation" and "Tracked" in this poll.

Something tells me that if you and I went for an impromptu motorcycle ride, we'd probably end up sitting in the garage for hours, paralyzed by all of the possibilities. :laugh:

I'm that type of person who is happy going wherever the wind takes me.

However when it comes to shaving, I think that as much as I like the idea of variety (and do own more razors/blades/brushes than I should), I like the concept of sticking with one soap and one razor for a good long while. The main reason I even switch my hardware is because I see my brushes/razors sit there on the shelf, and begin feeling guilty about some inanimate object not being used lol.

I never should have bought a second razor. It talks to me in my sleep when I don't use it often enough. Except for the razor, there is nothing to rotate.

semi rotation

only one razor for me right now 41c OC.

the soaps I can switch at will.......I've just been using drh marlborough a lot lately because I really like it.

in my mind I have a lot of excellent soaps in my stable if I choose.......b&m chypre, vespers, pdp 63, etc.

camo

Before joining B&B I always was for over 50 years a 1 razor 1 brush 1 soap shaver but since joining B&B nearly 5 years ago, I have become a collector or made shaving more of a hobby. I've always enjoyed my morning shaves and made my shaves a ritual but now I have expanded to using more different soaps, razors and A.S. Technique and method are the same but the number of razors, soaps have changed, 4 soaps and 19 brushes are rotated in order but, razors are rotated on whatever I feel like that morning. As far as blades, I'm using up the blades that are good but not my first choice and just to use 1 blade in all my razors, the Astra SP.

Dedicated. I like to think of my rotation as a GM running a sports team. If a player isn't contributing regularly and consistently.....

I tend to use up one thing until it's gone, because believe it or not a lot of these have a "use by"

1575594414660.png

That means recommended to use within 12 months. I usually don't make it in time, but I can see when it starts to dry out.

Top Bottom