Votes: 63 65.6%
  • Dedication to one product until its gone

Votes: 18 18.8%
  • Tracked

Votes: 8 8.3%
  • Not tracked

Votes: 17 17.7%

• Total voters
I started the Shave of the Week Society in the Clubs and Brotherhood forum. You pick one kit (razor, blade, brush, soap, AS) and use it for the week. I find this works best for me. Changing everything daily didn't allow me to get to know any one product well enough. And using only one soap until it was gone was boring.

I tend to use up one thing until it's gone, because believe it or not a lot of these have a "use by"

View attachment 1041075

That means recommended to use within 12 months. I usually don't make it in time, but I can see when it starts to dry out.

Many products have a use by date. However, those dates are designed to limit the liability that the manufacturer may have should the product go bad. Most products are usable well beyond their "use by" date. However, some properties like scent may change over time.

I have several shave soaps and creams in my den that are 4 years old and still going strong. Some of these products are firmer now than they were when new, but that does not prevent me from using them. I have enough soaps to last me for a couple of decades, so I hope at least some of them survive.

Traditional hard tallow soaps should last for years. Creams and soft soaps having preservatives should last several years. Softer artisan soaps that do not contain preservatives are the most vulnerable to spoilage. I am careful to let soaps dry out after I use them before replacing the cap to minimize the potential for spoilage, but I know it does not eliminate the potential.

There are just too many products that I’m interested I trying to limit myself to one until it’s done. I’ll be getting several more products for Christmas and then I’ll probably be sated for a while. ...Maybe 😬

There are just too many products that I’m interested I trying to limit myself to one until it’s done. I’ll be getting several more products for Christmas and then I’ll probably be sated for a while. ...Maybe 😬

‘..Maybe.‘ :001_tt2: :001_tt2: :001_tt2:

I have an orderly rotation - I use a single razor weekly and then rotate to the next one. I will go through all my shave creams, then shave sticks, then shaver soaps. I use a home-made witch hazel AS almost exclusively, but mix-up balms and lotions to match up fragrances where possible.

With that said, I found this at TJ Maxx for $9.99 and decided to use it for the remainder of December:

1575651186209.png

I'm exactly the same way as you. I write copious notes for even minor tasks. If I don't document everything, I get stressed out. That's why I voted "Orderly Rotation" and "Tracked" in this poll.

Something tells me that if you and I went for an impromptu motorcycle ride, we'd probably end up sitting in the garage for hours, paralyzed by all of the possibilities. :laugh:
Probably so :a21:

I use a modified orderly rotation at home and have two somewhat dedicated kits for away, one for travel and one at a friend’s house.

I shave every day.

At home, I generally use my Timeless Titanium 0.68 SB as it is ideal for me. On occasions I will use other razors (Canadian Goodwill #164 on my late mother’s birthday, Ball end Old Type on my father’s birthday, E4 Fatboy on my brother’s birthday and C4 Superspeed on my birthday).

I use a variety of blades through their normal life for me of 4 shaves with a preference for PPI and Feather and Personna blades.

I use 5 shaving brushes (4 badger and 1 boar) rotating every day in a set order (Rudy Vey/Shavemac 2 band, Omega 011842, Simpson Classic 2, Simpson Duke 3 best, and Simpson Chubby 1 super).

Soaps vary but are used continuously through my 5 brush rotation. I have between 4 and 5 soaps in use at any given time.

Aftershaves are used much more randomly. Floid Vigoroso gets the most use but Epsilon and various Fine products also get used.

When my Janus razor arrives next month, modifications to the razor rotation may need to be made, but this is my home rotation for now.

Dedication is better if you want to build competency.

I tend to use a product or razor at least a few days in a row.

I plan to pair down my collection in the near future. There is no point in having much of a rotation beyond aftershaves.

@DocPapi i’m exactly the same as you. I use one soap till it’s gone (same with blade brands) and use aftershaves randomly. I voted “use one product till it’s gone” since that’s what i do with everything except the aftershaves. The reason? Like you i guess i don’t really have a good one. I think mostly because i like to really use anything i purchase and if i started rotating i feel like things would get out of hand and i’d end up with 50 soaps and only use a handful of them. Good thread idea!

@DocPapi i’m exactly the same as you. I use one soap till it’s gone (same with blade brands) and use aftershaves randomly. I voted “use one product till it’s gone” since that’s what i do with everything except the aftershaves. The reason? Like you i guess i don’t really have a good one. I think mostly because i like to really use anything i purchase and if i started rotating i feel like things would get out of hand and i’d end up with 50 soaps and only use a handful of them. Good thread idea!
Glad to hear it...I was starting to feel a little lonely...

Top Bottom