What's new

Rotating your creams

Hi!
Wetshavers!
I wonder if you guys rotate your shaving creams every day or so? I use one one morning and another the next. Or is it just a matter of preference? Just wondering ?

/Peter

I never use the same cream/soap two days in a row. I use whatever I feel like when I get into the bathroom as I don't have a strict rotation plan. I sometimes stand and can't make up my mind which one I want to use and I don't have anything like the amount of choice as some people on this forum, if I had much more I'd be there, deciding, for ages!

I don't typically try to use the same shave cream/soap from one day to the next, but sometimes I do. When I get a wild hair, I try something different, but usually it's a rotation of my Truefitt and Hill 1805, Taylors Lavender, Shave Shop, Sandalwood or C & E Sandalwood.

Yeah I usually mix it up a fair bit but sunday is proraso day.
I definately have my best shaves on the weekend.:smile:
Doug.

Most days, like John, it is simply a matter of what sounds/smells good right then. If, however, there are other factors involved like a dry or irritated face, they can certainly narrow down the choices for me. Additionally, if I am trying to really research the +/- of a specific product, I may use it for several days in a row.

Like Kyle, I am fairly random in my choices, *unless* I'm trying to figure something out.

For example, a few weeks back I decided to figure out the difference in lathering technique between Nancy Boy and the English creams, so used only NB products--from soap to shampoo to shave cream to after shave to cologne!--all week long. I learned a lot, but couldn't wait for the weekend to use a different cream.

Variety really is the spice of life.

Peter:

I not only alternate scents but form as well. I use cream one day, and soap the next. I now have so many shaving products that I created a calendar of what products I'll use in which order to make sure they all get into the rotation. No, I'm still not a shavegeek!! Although I am the only one in my family that still sees it that way!:blush:

ouch

Stjynnkii membörd dummpsjterd
Ah, the great conundrum of shaving. I want to use everything every day, but that would not be a good idea. As is, I only get to use a favorite cream (and they're practically all favorites) about twice a month. If I get something new that's really good, I may use it once a week. Right now, Arran vetiver and Trumper coconut fall into that category.

Rotating creams is not unique, as I tend to rotate razors, blades, and aftershaves, as well. This is so much friggin' fun.

I use whatever I am in the mood for. I tend to almost never use my "cologne" scented creams/soaps. Most of the time it is either an almond, lavender or rose scented cream/soap. I probably should sell/trade some of my creams, as I have some I haven't used in over 6 months.

joel said:
I use whatever I am in the mood for. I tend to almost never use my "cologne" scented creams/soaps. Most of the time it is either an almond, lavender or rose scented cream/soap. I probably should sell/trade some of my creams, as I have some I haven't used in over 6 months.

I too have shied away from cologne scented creams. I gave away all my T&H shave creams. I usually use floral or citrus scented shave creams.

I go through phases, lately I'm using a whole bunch of different creams and soaps that I never had before in my life, a different one every day. But everyone here knows what my favorite stuff is! :wink:

Jeff

I used to rotate my creams, but now I swirl my brush!:biggrin: I get a better lather that way. I can't imagine using the same thing two days in a row.

Randy

Peter,

You'll find that many of us rotate creams, soaps, ASB, and colognes daily. Just take a look at our SOTD board to see the variety of products we all slather over our mugs every day

ouch

Austin said:
I too have shied away from cologne scented creams. I gave away all my T&H shave creams. I usually use floral or citrus scented shave creams.

Try as I might, the cologne scented creams just don't do it for me. Taylor makes some great stuff, but I have yet to try a cologne based cream of theirs that didn't leave me flat. The only member of this category that I will always have on hand is Harris's Arlington.

By the way, do you categorize sandalwood creams as cologne scented?:confused:

ouch said:
Try as I might, the cologne scented creams just don't do it for me. Taylor makes some great stuff, but I have yet to try a cologne based cream of theirs that didn't leave me flat. The only member of this category that I will always have on hand is Harris's Arlington.

By the way, do you categorize sandalwood creams as cologne scented?:confused:

It seems that you two have fragrance preferences similar to mine as I have found virtually no cologne scented creams I really like. However, I really have seriously wondered about the DR Harris Arlington when I have sniffed it at the shaving store. I just might have to add it to my "want" list!

ouch

PottyDoctor said:
It seems that you two have fragrance preferences similar to mine as I have found virtually no cologne scented creams I really like. However, I really have seriously wondered about the DR Harris Arlington when I have sniffed it at the shaving store. I just might have to add it to my "want" list!

The fragrance of the Arlington is nice, but nothing thrilling. It makes the cut via performance. I won't make a blanket statement that it's the best performing cream I've tried, but I haven't encountered anything that's materially better.

P

PortsmouthDavid

I tend to go for a week or so with one soap or cream. If things are going great, sometimes it's hard to switch! But if I'm on a bad shave run, I tend to switch creams (and razors and blades) PDQ in an effort to achieve shaving nirvana. Sometimes I THINK I've arrived . . . but I guess it's more of a journey!

David

I use a different cream each day, usually in the same order of rotation. But I've also jumped the order if I find myself suddenly in the mood for a particular scent.

Top Bottom