What's new

rotating soaps

I have been a soap junkie, though I am finally on the wagon. I had amassed well over 100 soaps (I lost count, but may have had over 150 at one time) and loved looking at and using my vast collection. I held onto soaps that either didn't perform as well as I liked, or didn't have scents that I really liked because I wanted to keep them all.

I finally realized I could not use them all up in my entire lifetime, so why bother keeping ones I don't like? I have pared my soaps and aftershaves WAY down, and while I plan on getting a couple of Fall releases, I am completely happy and satisfied with what I have now.

For me it's about having a variety of scents to choose from. I've got too many right now though and am in the process of working through what my favorites are and unloading everything else. Ultimately I'd like to be in the 10-15 range.

I am a failing minimalist, my goal was to have one razor, one soap and one AS.
In the last months i figured this would not happen so i told myself, three soaps and three AS.
Problem is i found Stirling and i found already 3 soaps from Stirling alone i always want to use
and there is no way i will let go of my beloved Cella. I hope to keep it under 6 soaps in the "end".

Ravenonrock

I shaved the pig
Compared to others I think I have a modest amount of soaps and creams. They are all really great quality, most being recommended in these forums....thanks. That being said, I have more than I could possibly use for several years. Still, I know I would pick up a few more like Williams or Palmolive, if I could find them around where I live. I just want to test drive them! A cautionary tale....doing my best to keep it under 20.

I'm a one soap/cream/blade guy. If I buy a new soap/cream/blade and l like it better than what I'm currently using, I stop using the current one. If I don't like it, the new one goes on BST immediately.

So, you guys who rotate -- how do you convince yourself to keep the lesser ones around and use them? Don't you want the best shave every single time?

That's easy. Variety is the spice of life. I tend to get good quality soaps and creams because I do some research before getting them. I also will try a sample before getting a full tub so I know that what I'm getting is going to be decent.

I only get full size tubs of soaps that have excellent reviews and / or are in-expensive (ie. RazoRock pucks for 4.99USD, Arko .. etc), all others require a sample first. The end result is I have a large collection of excellent soaps that I rotate.

When I start a new soap, I use it for 2 weeks so I can get a feel for how it performs. Once I have that feel, it goes into the rotation. If the soap doesn't perform very well, it gets PIF'd. So far I have only had to do that on about 4 samples and 1 regular size stick (no not Arko, Nivea Body Shave Stick - too slippery and the blade never gets down to the skin).

My rotations are 1 week for a soap and 2 weeks for a razor and I change them out on Sundays. This allows for variety and a match for the season. Currently I'm rotating citrus soaps because its summer - in the fall I'll move to woodsy types scents; I like variety :biggrin1:.

Same with razors, I like the variety of how each shaves and since I only use vintage Gillette, its kind of cool to start with my 1918 Old Type and move to the newer ones (pre-war Fat Handle Tech, 48 Superspeed, 52 BlackTip ...).

Top Bottom