What's new

Rotary vs Foil for beard swirls

Hello everyone.

I am looking to try something new after getting tired of years of razor burn and ingrown hairs (using manual razors, cartridge and safety). My beard grows in spirals on either side of my neck, and I have found it very difficult to shave in a way that doesn’t lead to razor burn or ingrown hair.

I assume the rotary razors (norelco being the only option I’ve really found recommended) would be the best option, but I am very open to suggestions. I know the Braun 7 gets a lot of love but I feel the vertical/horizontal strokes required by a foil would leave me in the same situation I’m already in. Thanks I’m advance! Budget is 200-250

Correct on the rotary - foils aren't noted for their ability to cut longer hair or multi-directional growth. And (my opinion) Philips is the premier manufacturer of rotary shavers. Any of the 7000-9000 Series shavers should work for you, and be in your budget range, or even under a bit. Electrics (particularly rotaries) do take some time for your skin, beard and technique to adapt, but you should be able to get great shaves from any modern high-end rotary. You need to also adjust your expectations from getting a BBS shave as well. Not going to happen with an electric. Close enough, and in my experience more uniform than with a blade, but not as close. For me, more comfortable though, and less chance of razor burn or ingrowns- your goal. You'll also need to decide whether wet shaving or dry shaving suits you better. I shave with an electric exclusively wet - same prep I use with a blade - and that provides the most comfortable shave for me. Many prefer dry, and that's a personal choice. Give it a chance either way to see what you prefer, and you maybe surprised how good a shave you can get. Good luck!

I actually just picked up a Norelco 3500 to add to my collection. It’s my only rotary and it does seem to do a good job on my multi-directional growth. Honestly it’s been getting closer than a blade here lately. So close in fact that I had to do a two-pass shave with my regular straight razor the other day just to let my face recover a bit. I wet-shave with my electrics and I really know how to stretch so I can actually get BBS with it. I got a little redness with it so I may have using a little too much pressure here and there.
Using an electric effectively is definitely not an “add water and stir” event. It takes some dedication like anything else.

Razor burn: Make sure you purchase a wet/dry model and use something like Shave Secret shaving oil. Rub 5 dots of oil on your face and splash water on it. Then shave. No more razor burn. You will find that the razor doesn't even get warm gliding over your face. That's what I've found with my Panasonic ARC5 over the last two weeks. I noticed the difference using oil or not using it when I went to touch up an area along side my beard and I tried that dry. The foil head immediately warmed up while dry shaving.

Although I shave wet, I don't recommend "desert" dry with any electric (works great for some, but to me similar to shaving dry with a DE)). If I do shave without any wet prep, I use a pre-shave like Williams (been around for decades), Freelette (actually the best I've found for travel - need a minimal amount, smells great and serves as a pre-shave, lubricant and aftershave all in one with just a single application), Afta or any of the shave oils like Shave Secret (also great, but not if you have an issue with cloves).

Correct on the rotary - foils aren't noted for their ability to cut longer hair or multi-directional growth. And (my opinion) Philips is the premier manufacturer of rotary shavers. Any of the 7000-9000 Series shavers should work for you, and be in your budget range, or even under a bit. Electrics (particularly rotaries) do take some time for your skin, beard and technique to adapt, but you should be able to get great shaves from any modern high-end rotary. You need to also adjust your expectations from getting a BBS shave as well. Not going to happen with an electric. Close enough, and in my experience more uniform than with a blade, but not as close. For me, more comfortable though, and less chance of razor burn or ingrowns- your goal. You'll also need to decide whether wet shaving or dry shaving suits you better. I shave with an electric exclusively wet - same prep I use with a blade - and that provides the most comfortable shave for me. Many prefer dry, and that's a personal choice. Give it a chance either way to see what you prefer, and you maybe surprised how good a shave you can get. Good luck!
I definitely appreciate the reply. I really had no idea that wet shaving with an electric was a thing, I’ll look into it. Sounds like I’m going to pull the trigger on the Phillips 9000 I’m thinking. Follow up question...cleaning system worth it or just a way for Phillips to make monthly money off of me? My skeptical mind tells me the latter.

Razor burn: Make sure you purchase a wet/dry model and use something like Shave Secret shaving oil. Rub 5 dots of oil on your face and splash water on it. Then shave. No more razor burn. You will find that the razor doesn't even get warm gliding over your face. That's what I've found with my Panasonic ARC5 over the last two weeks. I noticed the difference using oil or not using it when I went to touch up an area along side my beard and I tried that dry. The foil head immediately warmed up while dry shaving.
Thanks for the recommendation! I’ll check out shave secret for sure.

I definitely appreciate the reply. I really had no idea that wet shaving with an electric was a thing, I’ll look into it. Sounds like I’m going to pull the trigger on the Phillips 9000 I’m thinking. Follow up question...cleaning system worth it or just a way for Phillips to make monthly money off of me? My skeptical mind tells me the latter.

I actually have a number of electrics and use them regularly, and most of them have cleaning systems. The disadvantage is they take up space and use consumables. The advantages - for me - are convenience (after shaving I just rinse briefly and pop in the cleaner - which also function as chargers in all of mine - and the shaver is cleaned, sanitized and charging up waiting for my next shave without any other fiddling on my part), they also lubricate the shaver (which benefits every electric shaver - any rapidly moving metal parts in contact last longer and run better if they are lubricated), and are more effective at thoroughly cleaning heads like Braun's completely enclosed cartridge heads or Philips complicated and delicate rotaries. A follow-on advantage is that the cleaning solutions generally have fragrance added, so your razor is ready to go and smelling fresh after cleaning. So yes, worth it - to me.

Last edited:
I’ve got some neck swirls, too. I’ve used both foil and rotary. Foil either left me with a poor shave or razor burn if I tried multiple angles to get close—rotary is less of an issue. I’ll never own another foil

I actually have a number of electrics and use them regularly, and most of them have cleaning systems. The disadvantage is they take up space and use consumables. The advantages - for me - are convenience (after shaving I just rinse briefly and pop in the cleaner - which also function as chargers in all of mine - and the shaver is cleaned, sanitized and charging up waiting for my next shave without any other fiddling on my part), they also lubricate the shaver (which benefits every electric shaver - any rapidly moving metal parts in contact last longer and run better if they are lubricated), and are more effective at thoroughly cleaning heads like Braun's completely enclosed cartridge heads or Philips complicated and delicate rotaries. A follow-on advantage is that the cleaning solutions generally have fragrance added, so your razor is ready to go and smelling fresh after cleaning. So yes, worth it - to me.
Thank you that is very helpful. I was looking at the Norelco rotaries just now and I saw that they have an updated 7000 series. Not sure what is new, might just be cosmetic. That being said, do you see the 9000 to be worth the extra money? The 7000 can be had with the cleaner for 150 which seems like a solid deal but I don't want to skimp too much on quality.

I’ve got some neck swirls, too. I’ve used both foil and rotary. Foil either left me with a poor shave or razor burn if I tried multiple angles to get close—rotary is less of an issue. I’ll never own another foil
Much obliged. Rotary seems like the way to go. Which do you use?

Thank you that is very helpful. I was looking at the Norelco rotaries just now and I saw that they have an updated 7000 series. Not sure what is new, might just be cosmetic. That being said, do you see the 9000 to be worth the extra money? The 7000 can be had with the cleaner for 150 which seems like a solid deal but I don't want to skimp too much on quality.

I actually use several Norelco rotaries - the Series 9000 are excellent shavers (including the Prestige) and all will give you a fairly close shave (the 9700 probably the closest with dual cutters). The Series 7000 rotaries come in two different flavors - the "traditional" Series 7000 with or without the SmartClean stations, and the "Gen 2" Series 7700 with or without the Quick Clean Pod system and flip-top, angular heads with integral trimmers (the Series 9000 all have detachable trimmers, which I actually like). The (relatively) new Series 7700 also are Bluetooth enabled, which connects to Philips' GroomTribe app and gives you information about your shave, which I've found useful (although any of the shavers can be used without any connectivity as standalones). All are quality shavers (made in the Netherlands), and all will provide quality shaves. The Series 9000 shaver could be considered Philips' flagship shavers, but might be overkill if you're just starting with rotaries. They do have an advantage (the 9700 and 9300) if you use the SmartClean station because the SmartClean system charges the shaver in addition to cleaning, and the "newer" Quick Clean Pod system just cleans using the shaver's battery, but none of them really need a station. If you like the idea of connectivity (seems strange in a shaver) the 7700 range is the only choice, and the Series 7000 in general probably provide the most comfortable shave in a rotary.

Esox

I didnt know
Staff member
I have swirl growth patterns on each side of my Adam's apple. My first electric was a foil and it gave me razor burn. I then started with Philips rotaries and they worked a lot better. The problems came with dull blades. I used them for 20 years alternating with a Mach 3 and as I got older, my whiskers got harder to cut. I've even stalled a rotary with a dull blade. After that I started sharpening them myself on a whetstone. That worked pretty well and I could have a pretty good shave with it but I didnt like constantly needing to resharpen the blades.

If you want to try sharpening the blades, work each blade on a fine whetstone in a figure 8 pattern. You can feel it and see it when they're finished.

Top Bottom