What's new

Ross Seyfried Articles

Esox

I didnt know
Staff member
The setup was okay, but that scope way out there bugged me. I prefer traditional optics.

They do take some getting use too. Iits pretty easy shooting with both eyes open, and I'm even cross dominant.

I never really warmed up to the concept of the "scout rifle". I tried a poor man's version (Nikon pistol scope mounted on a mosin nagant) and couldn't get comfortable with that scope way out there.

Getting somewhat older, and developing cataracts, I find the scout scope nice. The lower power, 2.5x of my Leupold scout scopes allow for shooting with both eyes open and the crosshairs appear nice and sharp. I tried a red dot, and if I turn it up bright enough to see it well in daylight, it is so bright as to flare, so not the greatest. It's fine for low light but I prefer the scout scope on the heavy recoiling rifles, on rifles with mild to moderate recoil I still prefer a standard scope, or good aperture sights.

Wow, memories of the articles written by those guys. I never hunted in Africa or the plains of the mid West, and reading their stuff was great.

Esox

I didnt know
Staff member
Wow, memories of the articles written by those guys. I never hunted in Africa or the plains of the mid West, and reading their stuff was great.

I've hunted the prairies but never Africa. Reading about Seyfried, Elmer Keith and Robert Ruark too, hunting there sure made me want too.

Ruarks book Horn of the Hunter, about his first trip to Africa hunting with Harry Selby is an excellent, and very funny, read.

Horn of the Hunter

Top Bottom