What's new

rose rocks

I've been using rosewater the past few days as aftershave, experimenting with sensitive skin alternatives.

Well, today I had a rough shave with my GEM Featherweight and a dud blade. Lots of tugging and chatter. And I did one pass, called it quits, and actually got a decent shave despite all that. But I had some irritation on my jawline, under my lower lip, and the side of my face. So I used some rosewater on my face... and a few hours later my face felt smooth, hydrated, and the irritation was practically gone. I've never experienced that effect with any other aftershave- to go from raw face to calm skin that quickly is astonishing.

I also have a tube of Biofresh rose oil aftershave. Amazon stocked it so I decided to purchase some a few days ago. Biofresh appears to be a Bulgarian label for rose and yoghurt-based toiletries. I tried some of the balm on my face as a test this evening, but tomorrow will be the real shave test. The scent of this balm is unusual for a man's fragrance or toiletry sold here in the US, as it is very perfumy and seems to have some silage, unlike rosewater. The scent is a slightly sweet, dark, musty/musky rose with some vaguely indolic (like jasmine) or animalic overtones - despite it being so atypical for a man's fragrance, I find myself enjoying it and it's also very calming. (edit: the fragrance I would rate at typical aftershave splash strength and longevity: even though it's unusual character is bracing, it only last an hour or two before evolving into a very faint, non-descript fragrance drydown). This is a real, complex rose, not a synthetic perfume fragrance impression.

The balm also has alot of skin foods in it, like hyarulonic acid, bisabolol, and creatine. It's not a heavyweight or greasy balm like Nivea, and seems to be absorbed quickly. Despite the blurb about it being a "gel", it's really more of a cream, with a consistency slightly thinner than Afta or similar balms (but without the alcohol burn- this balm is ethanol free).

Last edited:
Top Bottom