What's new

Rosacea Sufferers

Hello, just thought I would share something that has helped my rosacea. It's not a secret and I may be the last to try it but it's working for me. It's Selsun Blue with Aloe.

I read a while back about some washing their face with it and their rosacea disappearing. My (pushing 90) great aunt has it and cannot afford medicine so has said she is willing to trying anything. I told my mother in the US about it and she told her aunt (my great aunt). She got the shampoo and started washing her face with it and in a week she said her son asked her what she was doing different that her face looked so much better. She says it no longer flares up and she looks much better. It's been a couple of months.

I could not find it here in mexico so my mother stuck a couple of bottles in with some stuff and I received them a couple of weeks ago. I wash my face with it, a small dab is all it takes, immediately after shaving. I use alum and rose water/witch hazel after that as it works for me well with the rosacea. The wife got me some Yves Rocher sensitive skin after shave cream for christmas that I will try. The first time the shampoo stung, the whole face not just the shaving area, as it was "reacting" with the rosacea. Each time after it stung less until no more. I am 2 weeks in and can tell a difference.

I think it's worth a try. No guarantees, but I thought I would share it in case someone else is interested in trying it that may not know about it..

Google results of others:
https://www.google.com.mx/search?q=...1&sourceid=chrome&espv=210&es_sm=122&ie=UTF-8

Interesting. I get rosacea on my cheeks brought about by cold weather, spicy food, red wine & tiredness/stress.
It's a shame the stuff costs £20 here in the UK. I may try it though.

Slash McCoy

I freehand dog rockets
Regular Head and Shoulders works, too. Also for psoriasis and exzema if not extreme. Even kills most skin funguses like ringworm. Make a heavy lather, let it sit a few minutes, rub it off with the heel of the hand in the shower and dead nasty stuff just rolls right off. Do it two or three times. The generic stuff works too. Don't bother with the "dual purpose" stuff with hair conditioner built in. Doesn't do the job.

From what I have read using it regularly keeps it from flaring up (at least for some). My great aunt has gone 2 months which is pretty much never before, her's is visible most of the time. I will probably use it every day for a month and then go to every other day.

If I could find it here in mexico it would be expensive also, most stuff is more expensive here than the US.

YMMV on head and shoulders because I use head and shoulders on my head and it does not work at all for me on the rosacea. It does nothing and does not sting like the selsun. I tried it before I got the selsun, no change or help whatsoever.

They also say the only selsun that works is the blue with aloe.

My 18 yo niece has psoriasis and head and shoulders does not help her, she is supposed to try the selsun just to see but I have not heard from her on it. She's in the US.

Regular Head and Shoulders works, too. Also for psoriasis and exzema if not extreme. Even kills most skin funguses like ringworm. Make a heavy lather, let it sit a few minutes, rub it off with the heel of the hand in the shower and dead nasty stuff just rolls right off. Do it two or three times. The generic stuff works too. Don't bother with the "dual purpose" stuff with hair conditioner built in. Doesn't do the job.

That's the one I have. I hope it works for you, I hope it works for everyone. Rosacea sucks.

If people that try it will post back their results it might help others. It really stung the first time I used it, but the oil type stuff I normally use that is intended for scalp and not face stings also. It no longer stings since the rosacea went into remission but I will keep using it.

Thanks for the tip. I added a $6 bottle on the Amazon store to my shopping cart for a later check out.
Hopefully this is the right one (it says "with aloe" on it): http://www.amazon.com/Selsun-Blue-M...d=1388017764&sr=1-5&keywords=selsun+blue+aloe

Btw, I'm also using Stirling's A/S splash that is in essence Witch Hazel and Aloe. No alcohol at all in it.

I am very interested in how many it helps, if just a small percentage or most. A small bottle will last a long time as it takes very little. Mine is still in regression and no hint of the rosacea "sting" either light or otherwise. I'm loving it because this time of year (cold here) is particularly bad. Pretty much a constant battle.

This seems to work really well for me. It stings going on, but leaves my face feeling great.
I really like Shea Moisture's whole line - they have a mild scrub, too.

Attachments

• $ImageUploadedByTapatalkHD1388167104.859251.jpg
    $ImageUploadedByTapatalkHD1388167104.859251.jpg
    37.7 KB · Views: 136
I don't know or care as long as it works. Perhaps Selenium Sulfide or it and a combination with the inactive ingredients? I have not tried any of the other versions, but the claim is that only thew blue with aloe works. It works well enough for me not to try the others.

Ingredients:

Active Ingredients: Per container: Selenium Sulfide Lotion (1%) (Antidandruff) Inactive Ingredients: Aloe Vera (Aloe Barbadensis) Leaf Juice, Ammonium Lauryl Sulfate, Amino Methyl Propanol, Citric Acid, Cocamide DEA, Ditallow Phthalic Acid Amide (hydrogenated), Dimethicone, DMDM Hydantoin, FD&C Blue 1 (CI 42090), Fragrance, Hydroxypropylmethylcellulose, Water (Purified), Sodium Citrate, Sodium Isostearoyl Lactylate, Titanium Dioxide

Last edited:
This seems to work really well for me. It stings going on, but leaves my face feeling great.
I really like Shea Moisture's whole line - they have a mild scrub, too.

Just to clarify are you saying it keeps rosacea in remission?

The Selsun Blue arrived today.
After my shave, I applied a small amount (about the size of a sweetcorn kernel) to my cheek area, gently rubbing the shampoo in using a small circular motion. The Selsun does tingle a bit. I did not rinse it off after. Fortunately it smells fairly faint & quite pleasant after application.
Having read some reports, I think I will apply it once every other day for 2 weeks.
We shall see what happens...

Just to clarify are you saying it keeps rosacea in remission?
I think it does, but my rosacea is not severe. My skin is much more pink than red, and I don't get the flakiness that I used to. I don't know how well it would work for more severe cases, but I'm hopeful.

I believe the usual active ingredient in the "blue" shampoos is selenium sulfide. It has antifungal properties. A dermatologist I know used to recommend it all the time for dandruff, with the huge caveat that you lather it up and then let it sit without rinsing for twenty minutes. He always said that rinsing right after lathering was extremely counterproductive and simply sold more shampoo.

He didn't differentiate between any of the blue shampoos (Head & Shoulders, Selsun Blue, . . . ) so I wonder if any selenium shampoo would work.

Slash McCoy

I freehand dog rockets
Yeah my experience with the H&S is you got to actually make a lather, and let it stand on the affected area for a while. I go about 10 minutes I guess. I make the lather on my head and transfer it in the palm of my hand to where it is needed. Rubbing with the heel of the hand under running water helps to shed the buildup and makes the skin more normal.

Woke up this morning with fairly dry, red & slightly itchy cheeks where I had applied the Selsun yesterday.
I never get rosacea in the morning when waking up, so clearly something is wrong.
I will try applying as little neat shampoo as possible to the area tomorrow, leaving it for 10 minutes & then rinse my face well. Should I get the same issues again, I will probably have to stop using my recent acquisition for anything other than washing my hair!

That's about what I do and I use lotion (lubriderm) after witch hazel/rose water.

Woke up this morning with fairly dry, red & slightly itchy cheeks where I had applied the Selsun yesterday.
I never get rosacea in the morning when waking up, so clearly something is wrong.
I will try applying as little neat shampoo as possible to the area tomorrow, leaving it for 10 minutes & then rinse my face well. Should I get the same issues again, I will probably have to stop using my recent acquisition for anything other than washing my hair!

Last edited:
Yeah my experience with the H&S is you got to actually make a lather, and let it stand on the affected area for a while. I go about 10 minutes I guess. I make the lather on my head and transfer it in the palm of my hand to where it is needed. Rubbing with the heel of the hand under running water helps to shed the buildup and makes the skin more normal.

That's exactly what I do with my heads and shoulders. I lather my head and transfer some to my face and let it stand. I figure it can't hurt as I am shampooing my head anyway. I continue to do it since it takes slightly longer than just my head. It doesn't seem to affect the redness or flare ups, but I figure it doesn't hurt. I have a pretty bad case, that's why I got such a strong sting when I first used the selsun. So far it's not coming back though and it's usually always red this time of year. I normally have to apply the perscription stuff daily or at least every other day. If the selsun keeps it down I much prefer it. I truly wish it worked for me as I can get it easily here and it's much cheaper. I did notice the head and shoulders clinical strength has the same active ingredient and that's not what I am using. If I see it here i will try it.

http://www.ebay.com/usr/rbecker13

I think it does, but my rosacea is not severe. My skin is much more pink than red, and I don't get the flakiness that I used to. I don't know how well it would work for more severe cases, but I'm hopeful.

Thanks, mine is normally pretty severe and horrible this time of year in cold/dry weather.

Last edited:
Top Bottom