What's new

Rooney Woes

I also have a Rooney that sheds at least ten hairs a day when used.

However my vendor The executive shaving company has only an e mail address and they have not responded to any I have sent them.

Does anyone no how to contact Rooney Direct and be careful how you deal with The Executive Shaving Company in the UK

Valuer

I have the same issue, although I have not contacted them. My Rooney 3/1 worked well for around a year, and then started shedding around ten hairs each shave. Incidentally I have the same problem with my Omega 31064, which is really annoying. In contrast, my Semogue 1520 has only ever lost one or two hairs, despite my giving it some severe punishment.

Right now, shedding from my "quality" brushes is the main obstacle to a really enjoyable shave.

Alex

My vendor is Vintage Blades. Jim is replacing it after I send it back. I pray my replacement is a winner. But he has been helpful from the begging and I give complete kudos to his effort!

I've had a 1/1 in Super for several months now, and it's lost 5 hairs or less in that time. There are always going to be some brushes from any manufacturer that will be shedders. It's unfortunate, but it will happen. I don't see any reason for anyone to be turned off of a certain brand because a few people have had some shedding issues.

I've had a 1/1 in Super for several months now, and it's lost 5 hairs or less in that time. There are always going to be some brushes from any manufacturer that will be shedders. It's unfortunate, but it will happen. I don't see any reason for anyone to be turned off of a certain brand because a few people have had some shedding issues.

+1. I've been using my 1/1 Super for 10 months or so, and it's been great. I don't think it's shed even 1 hair.

Sorry to hear that guys, Vintage Blades is great to deal with, btw.

+1. That's where I bought my 1/1.

-Andy

Doc4

Stumpy in cold weather
Staff member

That last one ... is the hair coming out in clumps? That's what it looks like in the photo!! :blink: Maybe it's just the way the hair is piled up for the photo, but it looks like tiny glued-together bunches of hair are falling out. :blink::thumbdown

I read your recent post that the brush is already returned to Vintageblades & Jim is :thumbup1: ... but I'm wnodering about Rooney ... :huh:

As concerning as this is from my potential buyers' view, don't forget, a lot of Rooney customers are gathered here in one place. Any issues whatsoever will get onto the board, and perhaps skew the perspective of their QA/quality (good and bad).

Most of these 'high end' brushes are hand assembled, and as with anything that requires that, there will be failure rates.

Having a trusted vendor is the best back up you can have.

No you are exactly right it comes out in singles and in clumps! Its like watching a loved one slowly fall apart....:c7:

That last one ... is the hair coming out in clumps? That's what it looks like in the photo!! :blink: Maybe it's just the way the hair is piled up for the photo, but it looks like tiny glued-together bunches of hair are falling out. :blink::thumbdown

I read your recent post that the brush is already returned to Vintageblades & Jim is :thumbup1: ... but I'm wnodering about Rooney ... :huh:

As concerning as this is from my potential buyers' view, don't forget, a lot of Rooney customers are gathered here in one place. Any issues whatsoever will get onto the board, and perhaps skew the perspective of their QA/quality (good and bad).

Most of these 'high end' brushes are hand assembled, and as with anything that requires that, there will be failure rates.

Having a trusted vendor is the best back up you can have.

Exactly, for every person who has posted about a bad Rooney experience on this thread, there are hundreds (if not thousands) who have a great Rooney brush.

My 3/1 Super isn't as drastic but still sheds about 3-5 hairs per shave. On one occasion it lost about 13-14 hairs. That was the point I began to wonder if I should be bummed or not. I got it here on the forums so returning it isn't an option. So I figure I'll shave it bald.

Funny thing is, for the first 2 months or so it was totally fine losing only about 1-2 hairs a week. I'm going to try conditioning it sometime when I can get around to buying conditioner.

Raymond D.

Wow!! :001_07: That sucks...

I was dreaming of a black 1/1 in Finest (well, or maybe just super...) until I read this and saw that!!:c3:

I think of all my brushes as females and none of has shed. So, here's to hoping the black 3/1 in Finest that's making it's way to me via USPS is also a "girl brush" and won't suffer from male pattern baldness.

Karl

My Rooney 1/1 Super has been shedding off about 2 to 5 per week. I have had it since mid September. I attribute this to learning how to use it on my part and that I have been jumping around using different brushes trying to find something I like. I kept the hairs in a small baggie.

The 3/1 Finest I recently received has been great. I had a couple come out of it, but haven't had it long enough to see a pattern. I have used it for a week now and other than the couple after pulling it out of the box, no shedding. And it has felt great... I kinda giggle everytime I use it. I know, kinda kiddish of me, but man it lathers up well and feels great on my face. eEEEEE!!!

The only Rooney I have had 0 issues with, oddly enough, is my Heritage Stubby in Pure. Great soap brush.

Just thought I'd weigh in on the nonshedding side for perspective. I bought a 3/1 super and heritage beehive in the last 6 months and both have shed very few hairs.

I have had the same problem of shedding with a recently purchased Rooney 1/1 in Super. I did the same as others by saving the hairs in a little baggy. I sent them back with the brush to the vendor (Vintage Blades) for an exchange.

I should get my replacement in the next day or so. I am keeping my fingers crossed that I don't get another dud, else I may have to rule out any future Rooneys... but, I do love that brush.

I feel your pain. It sucks. :blushing:

Fingers crossed that my Rooney is a keeper. Of course I won't be trying it until the second half of the month since I am having it sent to my house in Indiana rather than my college apartment in SC, but I really hope it's a keeper. I love the look of the style 1 handles.

I have had the same problem of shedding with a recently purchased Rooney 1/1 in Super. I did the same as others by saving the hairs in a little baggy. I sent them back with the brush to the vendor (Vintage Blades) for an exchange.

I should get my replacement in the next day or so. I am keeping my fingers crossed that I don't get another dud, else I may have to rule out any future Rooneys... but, I do love that brush.

I feel your pain. It sucks. :blushing:

+1000

My story exactly...same vendor except my brush is the 3/1 FINEST. The new one is one the way..though my brush must have a feeling its going back...it only shed 8 hairs today instead of 15+!

By they way on a good note Jim at vintage blades is amazing and I look forward to future transactions with Vintage Blades.
This is a copy of his emails concerning the replacement. Just so everyone knows what a great business man Jim is.

Nick, all I can say is that I am sorry that it is turning out this way. Obviously, you should return the brush. It’s up to you whether or not you want a replacement. Let me know what you want to do.

Nick,

Here is what we will do. We will send you a replacement brush via UPS with a pre-paid UPS return label. We have 3 of the 3/1 Finest in faux Horn left in stock. I will pick the best of these for you. I cannot guarantee that the head will be perfect. Nor can I be sure that the replacement brush is not from the same lot as the one you already have. All I can do is the best I can to take care of you and resolve this to your satisfaction with what I have available. The replacement brush will go out to you today.

Jim
~Vintage Blades LLC~
www.vintagebladesllc.com
(410) 357-8055

Last edited:
Hello guys. I am just catching up on this thread. Since this topic seems to be getting a lot of attention, I'd like to put a couple of things into perspective.

First of all, I want you to know that we store all our inventory in a temperature and humidity controlled environment. The storeroom is actually carpeted and has central heat and air. Ha! We particularly wouldn't want those pesky wild badgers getting antsy and running loose. We might have the badger police after us. :eek:)

Secondly, as you know, we sell several lines of shaving brushes, and in the past have sold one or two other brands. We have had the occasional "shedder" in each and every one of those lines. This, unfortunately, is one of the things that happens in the making of shaving brushes. As to why you are seeing "so many reports" of shedding Rooneys. All I can say is that perhaps it is due to the fact that proportionately we are selling 20 times more Rooney brushes than any other brand.

Candidly, from my perspective, considering the number of Rooney brushes that we ship on a weekly basis, we do not have to replace that many brushes due to shedding. In fact, it is a very, very small percentage. Unfortunately, when we do get a "shedder" I can almost always count on seeing a post on one of the forums about it. But unlike with Nick here, we rarely see mention about how easily the process was handled with either Erin or myself to facilitate the exchange for a replacement brush.

Yes, it is very unfortunate if a person would get 2 brushes from a vendor in a row that were shedders. However, we receive our inventory in small lots of 20 to 40 to 80 brushes at a time, depending of the particular brush. So, it is quite possible that the replacement brush that would be sent would have been received at the same time as the defective brush and therefore is from the same lot of brushes. That is hard to avoid.

Only once since I have been in business have I had to declare an entire lot of brushes as defective due to a number of brushes being returned as shedders. This happened 2 years ago. Those brushes were not made by Rooney.

I have purchased 3 different Rooneys from Jim and not had any issues with any of my brushes. I have, in the past, bought some items that have need some added attention by Jim and the crew and they were always there for me. That is why I have bought 3 from him.............AND THAT IS IT JIM, I WILL NOT BUY MORE, I WILL NOT BUY MORE!!!! :lol: for sure, probably, mabey!!! Unless there is a sale on some of the...... OH never mind!

My latest Rooney 3/2 in finest amazed me.... not one hair shed, not one in 2 weeks and I am a bit hard on brushes. I work them baby!

Take Care,
Richard

We have had the occasional "shedder" in each and every one of those lines. This, unfortunately, is one of the things that happens in the making of shaving brushes. As to why you are seeing "so many reports" of shedding Rooneys. All I can say is that perhaps it is due to the fact that proportionately we are selling 20 times more Rooney brushes than any other brand.

Candidly, from my perspective, considering the number of Rooney brushes that we ship on a weekly basis, we do not have to replace that many brushes due to shedding. In fact, it is a very, very small percentage. Unfortunately, when we do get a "shedder" I can almost always count on seeing a post on one of the forums about it. But unlike with Nick here, we rarely see mention about how easily the process was handled with either Erin or myself to facilitate the exchange for a replacement brush.
Thanks for the vendor perspective, Jim. As I posted earlier or elsewhere, there are two main vendors for Rooneys AFAIK, and a lot of your customers are here, so it makes sense that any shedders get 'airplay', and if they're focussed in the one place, it starts to appear to be a problem, but it isn't - beyond the normal tolerances of such products.

I think most would agree that it's more important how the vendor rectifies any problems, and it's clear from any posts on the topic, that you guys do that.

Now, if you only shipped to Australia... :biggrin1:

Last edited:
Top Bottom