What's new

Rooney Woes

I recently returned a Rooney 1/1 in Super to the vendor I bought it from because it was shedding pretty badly. I was --very graciously--given a replacement and began using it a couple weeks ago. So far until today it had only shed a couple of hairs and I was happy.

Well, today the brush lost nine hairs. I was face lathering with a soap. :mad3:

Fluke?

Did I get another shedder?

I started using the brush on the 11th and this was my tenth shave with it according to my notes.

I've yet to have any shedding issues like this with my Nib-knotted restored brushes.

What do you guys with a lot of experience with different brushes think? Am I just unlucky with Rooneys? None of my other brushes seem to have shedding issues like this.

Last edited:
I'm in the same boat with my 1/1, well at an earlier stage at least... I have one that shed about 15 hairs in the first week and then another 12 after I shampooed and combed it. I have emailed the vendor and they said they would send me a new one if the problem persisted.

That sucks you got another shedder... begs the question if there are some QC issues going on or if there was a bad lot of them?

I haven't had any shedding issues with my other brushes, so it stinks that its now happening with a brush I like so much :thumbdown

I'm going to go out on a limb here and say that it's really bad luck...not positive though. I bought a 3/1 Rooney in super 4-5 weeks ago and have had a total of 3 hairs come out. I hope you get this resolved to your satisfaction.

You may have gotten another lemon, unfortunately... I've had three Rooney brushes and they all shed maybe 5 or so hairs in the first few shaves. After that, nothing.

Rudy Vey

Shaving baby skin and turkey necks
I finally broke down and bought the T+H version of the 1/1. Must say I like it and it has not lost one hair since I got it. It has about 6 or 7 shaves under the belt right now, but I will look carefully in my scuttle and lather when ever I use it.

Out of the five Rooney brushes I have they have shed maybe 5 hairs total over the course of almost 1-2 years.

I am about 1 month into my Rooney 3/1 in FINEST. 200 dollar plus brush. I am now about into my 100th hair that I have saved. Plus probally 20 or more before i started saving. I am sick to my stomach and am now taking pictures to send to the vendor. I know there might not be any to replace it. Very sad. On the good note is it is still denser that just about anybrush I have ever seen. I am hoping it calms down.

I am about 1 month into my Rooney 3/1 in FINEST. 200 dollar plus brush. I am now about into my 100th hair that I have saved. Plus probally 20 or more before i started saving. I am sick to my stomach and am now taking pictures to send to the vendor. I know there might not be any to replace it. Very sad. On the good note is it is still denser that just about anybrush I have ever seen. I am hoping it calms down.
I'm no expert, but that seems too many losses for it to calm down. I'd be getting a replacement on that instead.

I'm hoping to get a 3/1 Super when they come back in at CS (VB won't ship o/s) and this talk of shedders is making me nervous.

I'm no expert, but that seems too many losses for it to calm down. I'd be getting a replacement on that instead.
:thumbdown
that makes me sad lol Though I know it to be true in my heart.

P.S. I spent 21 days in Perth/Freemantle....my god do I miss the ladies. And the Belgium Beer Cafe on the corner of King...and wow I cant remember.... anyway what a great town...I will be back someday.....I could have a kid or two running around lol...

I have a 2/1 in super and have no shedding problems. It seems to me that most shedding complaints are coming from the 1/1's but that just maybe a perception. Rooney's are fine brushes and should not have these quality issues. I hope you get it resolved. Good luck.

Tony

Well, yesterday was better but it still shed at least two hairs. I am going to shampoo and comb it, watch it closely and if the problem persists contact the vendor.

I love the brush, just don't want to settle for a "Monday" brush at the price of the Rooney 1/1.

Last edited:
Well, yesterday was better but it still shed at least two hairs. I am going to shampoo and comb it, watch it closely and if the problem persists contact the vendor.

I love the brush, just don't want to settle for a "Monday" brush at the price of the Rooney 1/1.

I think you've been terribly patient. The vendor should supply you with another brush, store credit, or a refund.

This is disturbing. It's the first I've heard of QC problems with Rooney brushes. Were they acquired by another firm within the last year or two?

No.

I'm having problems with a rooney 3/1 super I bought from another member here about 18 months ago. It would always shed the occasional hair, and I hoped it would stop, but now it has gone up to 3 or 4 hairs per shave. Not being quite sure where I stood what with not being the original purchaser made me loathe to pursue until it got so bad. Not sure where the other member bought it, waiting to hear back via pm. Have had no luck with the phone numbers I found for rooney.

Saving them for evidence is a good idea, I wish i had thought of it 100 hairs ago! :blush:

Well I know that the Finest brushes are from the 2007 production year. I wonder if the environment they were stored in is affecting the glue. My pictures go out to the vendor in the morning.

Same here for me.
I finally broke down and bought the T+H version of the 1/1. Must say I like it and it has not lost one hair since I got it. It has about 6 or 7 shaves under the belt right now, but I will look carefully in my scuttle and lather when ever I use it.

Wow!! :001_07: That sucks...

I was dreaming of a black 1/1 in Finest (well, or maybe just super...) until I read this and saw that!!:c3:

Would you care to tell which vendor you got yours from, gentlemen?
I think it would be in everyone's interest to know which ones replace the brushes with QC issues and which don't...
Or even, those who may have stored the 2007 Finest in a poor/harmful environment.

Damn.:bored:
C_J

I also have a Rooney that sheds at least ten hairs a day when used.

However my vendor The executive shaving company has only an e mail address and they have not responded to any I have sent them.

Does anyone no how to contact Rooney Direct and be careful how you deal with The Executive Shaving Company in the UK

Valuer

Top Bottom