What's new

Rooney Silvertip Pics/Review.....

Gents,
A member sent me 3 Rooney brushes (all new, and all prototypes) to test and review. It is important to note - two of them are older prototypes (the faux ivory handled one - and the one I am testing in the pics) The last one - which has a shavemac/plisson shaped head is VERY recent brush - and should be most similar to what is to be seen on the market. Regardless - the silvertip is the identical silvertip to be offered - so for purpose of reviewing the brush and its performance - these are identical. My comments on the handles should be taken lightly - as it is not certain the exact handles will be offered. (BTW - the logo will be different to the public)

Pics of the brushes (with the shavemac there for comparo)

P1010048.JPG

P1010049.JPG

P1010050.JPG

P1010051.JPG

P1010053.JPG

P1010054.JPG

Shavemac is on the bottom right
P1010055.JPG

P1010056.JPG

P1010057.JPG

P1010059.JPG

P1010060.JPG

P1010061.JPG

P1010062.JPG

P1010063.JPG

P1010064.JPG

Lather filled face...
P1010067.JPG

Brush once "bloomed"
P1010068.JPG

Rooney on the left - Shavemac on the right... the Shavemac is packed a lot denser...
P1010069.JPG

The Verdict -
I have thus far tried 2 of the 3 rooney's - a best badger and a silvertip. The handle shape/style/look of the pure badger was excellent. I love the ivory look to it. The silvertip brush handle I am not too fond of. I have large hands - and for me it was quite uncomfortable.

The best badger was quite nice. End of story. Lathered nice, felt nice, worked well.

The Silver Tip was a very interesting experience. It was the softest brush I have ever used.... makes a Kent feel like pine needles. It really throws a twist into the definition and classification of "silvertip." It was a "shocking" experience. VERY VERY soft. I feel this is a fine brush - and would recommend it. Lathered nice, performed excellent, silky soft, held water well, etc.

Overall - It is my opinion that these Rooney brushes I have had the pleasure of sampling are excellent. With that said - I must also state they are not for me - certainly not my cup of tea. Although they lathered beautifully - I much prefer the denser packed bristles of the shavemac. The actual tips of the shavemac are not all that "rougher" if you will - however since it is packed so densly I find that when using the shavemac - I get a SUPERIOR shave to when using softer brushes - and unlike simpsons brushes - the shavemac is comfortable and luxurious to use. I think it really boils down to personal preference. While these Rooney brushes are excellent - unless they are competitively priced with a shavemac - I feel the shavemac will dominate the market once we cut thru all of this "British shaving brushes are the best" banter and actually compare the EFFECTIVENESS of the brush - not the ritzy stamp on it - or the albino mid-mountain slavakian half-donkey titles - or whatever nonesense brush manufactures come up with.

If the brush looks nice, feels nice, offers GOOD VALUE, gives YOU enjoyment, gets the job done, is practical, and most important - makes YOU happy and makes YOU have fun doing a mundane chore of shaving in the morning - that is all that matters. After trying a Rooney, as well as owning a Plisson, vulfix, shavemac etc, I can honestly say the elusive Plissons, Rooney's etc are no token to a more pleasurable shave - hell in my opinion they are INFERIOR to my not so "cheapie" shavemac silvertip.

Word to the wise... cut thru the hype and go with QUALITY, VALUE and ENJOYMENT with whatever you purchase... if that happens to be a Plisson, Rooney or Simpson - then so be it, but I often find myself missing my tiny Vulfix #374. The Rooney is without question superior (in my opinion) to simpson and Plisson, so I am sure whoever decides to purchase a Rooney will not be dissapointed. If you buy one though... do me a favor... buy one because you want the softest shaving brush you can find - not because it is a "Rooney" and it is "luxurious, mystical" and will make your face immedialy turn into a babys butt cheek just by looking at it cross-eyed.

When it is all said and done - the Rooney was wonderful... but they are expensive - and at least for me, inferior to a less expensive, better looking, more EFFECTIVE shavemac silvertip.

Make mine a shavemac.....

I bought what i believe to be a rooney silvertip, but on the side of the brush opposite rooney it says super badger! Did i get ripped off or is the rooney silvertip suppose to say super badger on the handle???

Thanks Charley

Charley Schneider said:
I bought what i believe to be a rooney silvertip, but on the side of the brush opposite rooney it says super badger! Did i get ripped off or is the rooney silvertip suppose to say super badger on the handle???

Thanks Charley
Super badger is better than silvertip you have got SHAVING BRUSHES

shaving brushes are available in pure bristle, pure badger, Silvertip and Super Badger. and finest is the best you can get

so i think you got a good deal there

tonesbarbershop.co.uk said:
Super badger is better than silvertip you have got SHAVING BRUSHES

What does this mean?

shaving brushes are available in pure bristle, pure badger, Silvertip and Super Badger. and finest is the best you can get

That goes against everything I've heard before, I always thought it was Super then Silvertip. Isn't "Finest" specific to Rooney?

Jonnybc said:
What does this mean?

That goes against everything I've heard before, I always thought it was Super then Silvertip. Isn't "Finest" specific to Rooney?
the finest is specific to rooney but there is other companies are going to do this soon no its the other way round take it from some one who makes brushes

the finest is specific to rooney but there is other companies are going to do this soon no its the other way round take it from some one who makes brushes

Vulfix appear to disagree...

Lifted from Vulfix's website:
No. 2235 Silvertip Badger
£123.40
(price excl. VAT)

No. 2235 Super Badger
£44.26
(price excl. VAT)

My girlfriend bought me a 2235 silvertip as a gift, she'd be mortified to know the Super Badger one is better.

Jonnybc said:
Vulfix appear to disagree...

Lifted from Vulfix's website:
No. 2235 Silvertip Badger
£123.40
(price excl. VAT)

No. 2235 Super Badger
£44.26
(price excl. VAT)

My girlfriend bought me a 2235 silvertip as a gift, she'd be mortified to know the Super Badger one is better.
we make brushes and we can tell you that siver tip is not better than super badger you can go to any supplier and they will tell you the same or any brush maker

Well, that does not fit with my understanding of hair-grading... Rooney (or any other company) can call the most sought after hair "finest", "super-silver", "whiter than Christina Ricci's un-tanned inner thigh"; the name is inconsequential... and I have to assume that Rooney does not have some special badger sub-species from which it harvests hair that is infinitely better than the best hair available from Shavemac, Simpson or any other high-end producer*. I mean no offense to the people who post on behalf of Tones Barber Shop, but I fear that you may be ill-educated or perhaps are spreading half-truths in order to peddle your wares.

*and if they do have a special sub-species from which they harvest their hair I have to assume that they will not be sharing it with the other producers if they can help it.

Hmm..time to chime in for me on this topic.

Different brush manufacturers, different typology. For instance:

Vulfix: pure, best, super and silvertip: the super is in fact bleached best badger

Simpsons: pure, best, silvertip/super and manchurian super: with Simpsons, super is equivalent to silvertip (whatever the definition of "true" silvertip may be....)

Rooney: pure, best, silvertip, super and finest: super is the better/best part of silvertip whereas Rooneys finest is equivalent to Simpsons manchurian and Plissons High Mountain White

Shavemac: pure, finest and super/silvertip; the finest from Shavemac is in fact best badger.

All the fuzz is because of the fact that neither terms are protected in terms of the law; each firm is free to use whatever they like to describe their different badger bristles

Hope this clears things up a little bit:wink:

Peter

DrP,

Thanks for the lesson on badger hair nomenclature... I was actually going to suggest that you (or another brush aficionado) be contacted to clear up any confusion on this topic but thought it presumptuous to assume that you would be interested in settling a small fracas such as this.

drP said:
Hmm..time to chime in for me on this topic.

Different brush manufacturers, different typology. For instance:

Vulfix: pure, best, super and silvertip: the super is in fact bleached best badger
I think not they do not bleach the badger hair it comes from different parts of badger coat what is still a live

Simpsons: pure, best, silvertip/super and manchurian super: with Simpsons, super is equivalent to silvertip (whatever the definition of "true" silvertip may be....)

Rooney: pure, best, silvertip, super and finest: super is the better/best part of silvertip whereas Rooneys finest is equivalent to Simpsons manchurian and Plissons High Mountain White

Shavemac: pure, finest and super/silvertip; the finest from Shavemac is in fact best badger.

All the fuzz is because of the fact that neither terms are protected in terms of the law; each firm is free to use whatever they like to describe their different badger bristles

Peter

silvertip is redress and then you get super badger

S

Sam

drP said:

Peter

I held my Chubby 2 best next to my XXL shavemac silvertip and squeezed the knot together. The coloring from the side and top look exactly the same. HOWEVER, the Shavemac hair is softer at the tips, but I have only used the Chubby 3 times

sam

silvertip is redress and then you get super badger

I'm afraid that I don't understand what you are trying to convey here. Perhaps you could be more clear...

Are you trying to say that "silvertip" is inferior to "super"? If so, I think that Peter has made it clear that this is the case with Rooney (a brand which you stock and are apparently familiar with) but this would be incorrect for other brands, such as Vulfix (a brand that you do not stock and apparently know little about). As peter mentioned, the nomenclature of hair grades is specific to the brush manufacturer.

I hope that I do not appear rude in saying this, but it would serve you well to carefully consider what you say here at B&B. When you make blanket-statements that are only true in some instances (here it is correct for the brand of brush that you stock but untrue for other brands) you appear to be ill-informed. When you do so very forcefully, as you have in this thread ("take it from some one who makes brushes"), you not only appear to be ill-informed, but also to be poorly written and ill-mannered. When you post here you are representing a business and I'm certain that you don't want the posts to reflect poorly upon the business (in fact, many of your posts appear to be sales pitches so I would think that you are really trying to use B&B as a means by which to advertise your products). However, when the posts are poorly written, aggressive half-truths it does indeed reflect very poorly upon your business. If I make an *** of myself here it impacts only me as I represent only myself here... it would appear, however, that you do not have that luxury and therefore need to be extra careful/thoughtful about your posts.

While there were generally accepted names for the physical classes of badger that were used by the trade, some firms chose to come up with their own unique names to further exploit the ignorance in the marketplace. When some brush venders reentered the brush market, their grades represented their brush marketing scheme, not necessarily the generally accepted grades of the badger hair. Nothing necessarily wrong with this other than the confusion it creates.
At one time, no vender in their right mind would have contemplated using that which was (alleged to be) the highest quality badger in a machine-made brush, that is unless they were not really using the highest quality hair and were looking to exploit the ignorance in the market place for fun and profit. It appears that when there are no industry (enforceable) standards, less than forthright business forces will exploit the little old widows and orphans out to buy luxury badger hair brushes.:001_rolle

tonesbarbershop,
I have recently looked over your website and was wondering, which brushes do you guys make? Is it the London Shaving Co brand?

Off topic, and I apologize, but this seems the place to ask. For Tones Barber Shop. I have no doubt that you are a first class vendor, and I certainly mean no disrespect, but help me (and the rest of us) out here. I understand that there are several folks at your business that respond to posts. Regardless of that, please, whoever is responding, please include a name. This is a friendly place, but many of your posts do not come across as friendly, but more as "preachy". We are glad to have you hear, and want you to participate. Last thought. Many of the posts made are not clear on their meaning. Please take the time to be clear in your responses. We may all claim to be speaking "english", but a few words just don't translate well.

Randy

I thank everyone for their well thought out comments to answer my question on SUPER/SILVERTIP, I am most grateful for all the help you all bestowed on me, I really do appreciate all the response.
But I do apologize for almost sparking a riot here, I just recently joined Badger & Blade and didn't mean to ruffle any feathers or start a controversy here.
That being said, you guys certainly gave me a better understanding of Badger Brush Classifications and I want you to know I AM GRATEFUL for your honest and straightforward answers and I appreciate you taking precious time out of your schedules to answer me questions. You to Tones, I know you mean well,(tongue in cheek) at least I think you do???
Man if we discussed Politics with this much enthusiasm we might have some Badger & Blade Members running Washington, (I think it would run alot "SMOOOOOOTHER" no pun intended. Thanks again Guys, your great, Charley

Top Bottom