What's new

Rooney "Foxhunt" restore

Ad Astra

The Instigator
Saw the Rooney fox and hounds set on the bay for a pricy sum... But saw the brush for $6, so.

It arrived the other day.

full

Now. I did try the vintage knot. I don't care for boars too much anymore, so removed it.

It's a 20mm hole, ordered a 20mm Silvertip badger knot. Didn't have a 19mm!

The brush handle is ceramic, has nice weight and the Keyhole shape that I really like on the Simpson KH3. Thought it should have a good knot. Hope it fits, as can't drill this one!

AA

It probably won't fit. You won't know until you try. 19 mm Silvertip knots are available if you hunt for them. Actually you may even need an 18 mm knot. The Golden Nib has an 18 mm Silvertip available from their on-line store.

Ad Astra

The Instigator
It probably won't fit. You won't know until you try. 19 mm Silvertip knots are available if you hunt for them. Actually you may even need an 18 mm knot. The Golden Nib has an 18 mm Silvertip available from their on-line store.

Thanks. The hole is 20mm, but the cavity is a bit larger... We'll see.

Foxes are visitors here, there's a pair that hunt together regularly seen on our cameras.

AA

Ad Astra

The Instigator
Well. The glue/knot base put up an amazing fight. Finally resorted to dremel and rounded bit. Used - don't laugh - guncleaner/brake cleaner to melt the last of the glue.

Being an unusual handle - ceramic - didn't harm. That solvent melts plastic and wouldn't do wood any good.

The cavity being wider and deeper than the opening, I'm hopeful the knot will fit, once pushed through the neck.

It'll be my first Silvertip, hope I get a good one (knot).

AA

Well. The glue/knot base put up an amazing fight. Finally resorted to dremel and rounded bit. Used - don't laugh - guncleaner/brake cleaner to melt the last of the glue.

Being an unusual handle - ceramic - didn't harm. That solvent melts plastic and wouldn't do wood any good.

The cavity being wider and deeper than the opening, I'm hopeful the knot will fit, once pushed through the neck.

It'll be my first Silvertip, hope I get a good one (knot).

AA
Pictures!

Ad Astra

The Instigator
🤣👌

Ok! But this is no work of art, just a ceramic knob, basically... But the shape works well and it has nice weight.

AA

...It's a 20mm hole, ordered a 20mm Silvertip badger knot. Didn't have a 19mm!..
Great handle. Congrats.
It depends on the shape, bulb or fan. I find that fan knots are true to the plug dimensions but bulb, due to the glue bump, will need extra room.
Regardless, post pictures of the process and the final product. Pretty please!

Ad Astra

The Instigator
This knot appears to be in USPS limbo ... for more than a week it is sitting in Orlando USPS. Apparently.

Why, I don't know. It was coming from Arizona; never seen a package for me go there.

The mail stinks/is unpredictable lately, as noted in The Barbershop.

AA

Ad Astra

The Instigator
Hey, I lucked out!

The silvertip 20mm knot came, and it fits perfectly! Whew!

full

full

Now, don't laugh at this rookie but.

Going to glue it in with a hot glue gun. :letterk1: :nono:

Why: I put a new synthetic knot into a vintage Everlast with hot glue ... and it hasn't come out ... and I bang that sucker dry every time I use it.

Yet, hot glue is soft and easily removed - unlike the rock-hard resin I've got to dig more of out of this brush.

So hot glue has worked perfectly in another brush. And this will allow me to change my mind if needed ....

(and if I had aquarium sealant around, I'd probably use it).

AA

Top Bottom