What's new

Rooney 3/1 Question

I am currently in the process of building my starter safety razor kit. I've decided to get the Merkur HD 38c and have move on to figuring out which brush to get. Many seem to think highly of the Rooney 3/1. My question is whether it is worth the extra $35 to upgrade to the "Super" from the "Pure". Here are links to the two brushes I am considering:

http://www.vintagebladesllc.com/vshop/xcart/product.php?productid=484&cat=156&page=1

http://www.vintagebladesllc.com/vshop/xcart/product.php?productid=487&cat=156&page=1

I should add that I have never used a brush before but am hoping to buy a good quality brush that I don't feel the need to upgrade from two weeks later. I want it to last. Also, I plan to use creams. If there is anything else I should be considering please let me know.

I cannot directly address your question, though I agree, the Rooney 3/1 is well thought of, and it is on my short list of brushes I plan to purchase before the end of the year. I don't think you can go wrong with the 3/1, regardless of your choice in grade.

That said, let me take a moment to stump for the Kent BK4, which has been my primary brush for many months. It makes for a great starter brush, and is exceptionally versatile. You used to be able to get them at a great price through Auravita, though shipping took forever to get them to the US from England--I have no idea if this is still the case.

Regardless, if you really are intent on buying the Rooney, I have seen ample evidence that you will either be satisfied with your purchase, or at the very least, have no trouble being rid of it on the BST if you get it and decide that it is not for you.

You will probably be flooded with information soon. I don't think you'l go wrong by spending the extra $35 on the Super. It's a nice quality brush, and for many it was their "last" brush until the aquisition disorder got a hold of them.

If you are looking at other brushes I'd like to the mention the Simpson Colonel X2L in best. A few dollars less, and also great quality. Or at least mine has been.

I received a Rooney 3/1 in super silvertip early last month. It is a great brush. I had been using an AOS pure badger up until then. I say, if you can afford the extra cost, get the super silvertip. It really was a noticeable difference for me between the pure and super (although two different makers).

I wouldn't listen to anyone else because the 3/1 in super is an awesome brush. Alright I'm kidding, any impute is great impute. Yes, the 3/1 is a great brush for both soaps and creams. The tips are very soft but the knot is nicely packed that it can whip up a great lather with a hard soap as well. I don't think you would regret it.

I've been using the 3/1 silvertip and the 38C for about 6 months now. With a good soap, it's now my favorite combination.

Thanks for the help, just purchased the Rooney 3/1 super silvertip in faux horn from vintagebladesllc. Also, just purchased my first razor but decided to go with the EJ DE89L. Can't wait for them to come in the mail so I can start shaving.

You should really enjoy the Rooney. I recently got a 3/1 silvertip as well and have really liked it so far. I enjoy a few soaps, and many creams, and the Rooney tackles them all with aplomb.

You may consider asking the President, Jim Ayars, that question directly. He is an expert and has a wonderful reputation for his advise and customer service. That would be my first step.

I have a Rooney 1/2 of in every grade, including the three band heritage and ones made for other vendors with different grades. . The Super is good the pure is better and the finest, although a lot more money the Finest range is really really good. This seems to have the density and backbone I look for. I found the Super to be a good brush but between them I would take the Pure, only if it is overstretching my budget too much of course.

Ask yourself if you go for the Super, would you always be thinking "Should i have sprung for the Pure? if so then do it. If not then think of the super as a good starter, I really doubt that one will satisfy you for ever. Sooner or later the SBAD will kink in again, it happens to almost all of us, otherwise there would not be much to discuss anymore.

I have a Rooney 1/2 of in every grade, including the three band heritage and ones made for other vendors with different grades. . The Super is good the pure is better and the finest, although a lot more money the Finest range is really really good. This seems to have the density and backbone I look for. I found the Super to be a good brush but between them I would take the Pure, only if it is overstretching my budget too much of course.

Ask yourself if you go for the Super, would you always be thinking "Should i have sprung for the Pure? if so then do it. If not then think of the super as a good starter, I really doubt that one will satisfy you for ever. Sooner or later the SBAD will kink in again, it happens to almost all of us, otherwise there would not be much to discuss anymore.

Interesting post but I'm confused. Is your stance that although the pure is a 'lesser' grade, you prefer it to the super? Or have I got my grades mixed up? My understanding is the finest is the most expensive, followed by super, then genuine, best, then pure being at the bottom of the ladder. I'm not contesting your preferences, I'm just confused. Myself, I prefer super to finest, but I haven't tried any of the other Rooney grades.

Best,

K

My question is whether it is worth the extra $35 to upgrade to the "Super" from the "Pure".
In terms of raw performance, no. Pure badger is nearly as good as silvertip badger. Silvertip hair is simply a luxury which looks good (and draws appreciative glances should someone with a modicum of shaving lore chance upon it). Since I rarely buy a brush, I feel I can afford it. Your mileage may vary.

But truly, honestly: quality-wise you won't be able to tell the difference.

I should add that I have never used a brush before but am hoping to buy a good quality brush that I don't feel the need to upgrade from two weeks later. I want it to last. Also, I plan to use creams. If there is anything else I should be considering please let me know.
I used a Shavemac before, but unfortunately the knots kept on shedding, even after several replacements. The brand simply didn't work out for me that way. But apart from that: the large knot certainly looked very impressive, but was in practice too floppy for comfort, had a voracious appetite for lather, did not like very hard soaps, and wanted big shaving mugs. I settled on the Rooney 3/1 st as a compromise brush: a noticably shorter loft, but not too short, reasonably dense, and a pleasantly long handle (I have big hands). I've been shaving with it for at least a year and a half now, and it performs effortlessly with both soaps and creams with almost no shedding. I see little reason to switch brands, really.

Unless you want to become a person who selects a different brush for every different shaving product—there are those who have crossed that line—or wants extra-densely packed brushes so he can make lather in a little less time... my guess is that you can't go wrong with the Rooney 3/1. Later on you may decide that you want a different build of brush, but for starting out: go for it. (Which, had I read a little more messages of this thread, you already have. Enjoy!)

Last edited:
Sorry I thought it went

Pure
Best
Silvertip
Super
Heritage 2B then 3B
Finest

It is quite mystical with Rooneys in terms of hair grades and I still don't filly understand it. The Best I have is the only one made without the Rooney brand, I have the rest in Rooney handles and of them all I prefer the Finest, followed by the Heritage 3B. Parheps it is me who has the grades mixed up but the OP asked

is worth the extra $35 to upgrade to the "Super" from the "Pure"

Given this and your comments I guess have it backwards, but my end point is still the same, if he would be happy with the cheaper grade go for it, but if it leaves him with the "what if??" question I would spring the extra $35 if I could.

I don't think there is a lot of difference, but the Heritage and finest are my favourites for density and my little1/1 Ebony in super is a great destroyer of soaps and gives a good facial scrub.

audiolab:

Well reasoned. With the 'what if' factor, I would probably go for the super as well. With the discussion of grades though, I would be interested in trying the various grades in a more or less blind test. I wonder how people's preferences would stack up that way. I like the finest too but just don't like the prickly effect.

I totally empathise with you, more money doe not always mean better. I think they are all great brushes. My Finest did soften at the tips after some use, they do take some time to fully break in.

In terms of raw performance, no. Pure badger is nearly as good as silvertip badger. Silvertip hair is simply a luxury which looks good (and draws appreciative glances should someone with a modicum of shaving lore chance upon it). Since I rarely buy a brush, I feel I can afford it. Your mileage may vary. But truly, honestly: quality-wise you won't be able to tell the difference.
Apologies, gents, I made an error here. I was confusing pure with best badger (which Rooney doesn't offer in the 3/1 model). Best and silvertip are nearly equal in quality, feel, and performance; pure is a little firmer and a little scrubbier. Also, I don't really like the look of a drak brownish-grey loft. It's down to personal preference, really. Changing to boar or synthetics, as well as changing the loft model, are the only ways to get vastly different properties in the brush.

Top Bottom