What's new

Rooney 1XL first impressions

Good afternoon gents,

I received my 1XL Saturday afternoon and almost immediately did a test lather using Tabac. I was pretty surprised at the size of the handle, I only have the kent bk8 and sr3824 to compare to, but this handle seems like it will make my hands cramp while lathering it is so small. The brush is very well constructed, everything feels like first rate quality. The knot is very dense, the tips ultra soft and the splay is kept in line by the resilience of each individual hair.

I loaded tabac for around 25-30 seconds and quickly realized the brush was picking up much more soap than either of my other brushes. About 60% of the swirls to load the same amount of product. I face lathered and the brush provided a very nice scrub (due to density of hair, zero scritch). I did notice there was enough soap in the brush for 3 passes easily, however I did have to squeeze some out (may not give up lather so easy after 1st or 2nd pass.)

Overall the face feel of this brush is phenomenal, a truly unique experience. The handle will be the only aspect of the brush I'll have to contend with. I have a 2xl on the way and, after seeing comparison pictures, I don't know if that handle will be large enough to suit my preferences. I'll be posting pics soon.

JLB2287

I have the same brushes (1XL and 2XL) along with a Emilion in two band. I've given up my Simpson's to these brushes despite the slight tendency to soap hog on the smaller brushes. However, nothing I've shaved with comes close to the "Best Overall" category than the Rooney Heritages

The Rooney XL series and Tabac go together like spaghetti and meatballs. Whenever my 1XL comes up in my rotation I always use it with a bowl of Tabac. Although now that I am running low I may need to use something with a longer handle. I've owned a lot of different brushes and I really the Rooney/M&F brushes the most. Good luck with it!

Mike H

Instagram Famous
I love the 1XL, the handle size is not a problem for me, but...where did you find a 2XL?

Direct from Lee Sabini. M&F 2xl in heritage hair with a faux jade handle. Will come with heritage hair instead of the blonde badger

I also have very large hands - although the 2xl handle isn't very tall, it's wide enough to still be comfortable. I actually find the 2XL handle to be quite acceptable, although I don't think the Duke 3 handle is.

My only complaint about the 1XL is the handle size, I have been looking for another 1XL from the first batch that has the gel-like tips so I can send it to Rudy and have him extract the knot and put it into a handle that is more suitable for me.

The 1XL is by far my favorite brush, however I haven't tried any of the brushes with the heritage hair that isn't gel-like, what can anyone tell me about the current heritage hair? How does it compare to the heritage hair that was put out in late 2010 (gel-like)?

Thanks,

Justin

My only complaint about the 1XL is the handle size, I have been looking for another 1XL from the first batch that has the gel-like tips so I can send it to Rudy and have him extract the knot and put it into a handle that is more suitable for me.

The 1XL is by far my favorite brush, however I haven't tried any of the brushes with the heritage hair that isn't gel-like, what can anyone tell me about the current heritage hair? How does it compare to the heritage hair that was put out in late 2010 (gel-like)?

Thanks,

Justin

I've experienced 3 different batches of Heritage hair.

1.) gel tips which you have
2.) hair that feels VERY similar to M&F Blonde Badger
3.) ultra soft 2-band hair

My favorite of the variety was the 3rd type, but only if it is set at a low enough loft. At a higher loft this hair will bloom quite a bit which I do not enjoy. Hope this helps somewhat.

I've experienced 3 different batches of Heritage hair.

1.) gel tips which you have
2.) hair that feels VERY similar to M&F Blonde Badger
3.) ultra soft 2-band hair

My favorite of the variety was the 3rd type, but only if it is set at a low enough loft. At a higher loft this hair will bloom quite a bit which I do not enjoy. Hope this helps somewhat.

While I appreciate your opinion the reason I love the gel tips is this:

I have extremely sensitive skin that doesn't take well to scritch, scratch, or scrub very well. Therefore the gel-like Rooney hair was a perfect fit for me; perfect backbone and cloud soft tips! I love to use soaps so I need the backbone but cannot have any scritch at all or my shave will result in terrible razor burn. Yes, I have tried nearly every cream, blade, razor, brush combination available, and from what I have determined us that for me the brush is m biggest variable from a skin agitation point.

Does anyone else have this issue?

Thanks,

Justin

just a few comparison pics of my new brushes

Attachments

• $2xl.jpg
    $2xl.jpg
    47.5 KB · Views: 65
  • $2xl2.jpg
    $2xl2.jpg
    45.7 KB · Views: 64
  • $2xl3.jpg
    $2xl3.jpg
    49.5 KB · Views: 65
  • $2xl4.jpg
    $2xl4.jpg
    46.9 KB · Views: 64
  • $2xl5.jpg
    $2xl5.jpg
    74.6 KB · Views: 64
That Blonde Bader brush with Green Marble looks fantastic!

Thank you. I've seen pics of other faux jade brushes and thought they had way too much brown coloration for my tastes and mine arrived with very little, just a green beauty. It's like Lee read my mind!

Thank you. I've seen pics of other faux jade brushes and thought they had way too much brown coloration for my tastes and mine arrived with very little, just a green beauty. It's like Lee read my mind!

That's actually what stops me from buying a jade brush. Love the green, hate the brown.

I think a little brown gives the handle an earthy look to it, but I've seen some that are overkill.

Top Bottom