What's new

Rookie question about exploring different soaps...

FarmerTan

"Self appointed king of Arkoland"
Or PdP. Pasteurs has a great sale on right now, and both the Bergamot and Thyme and the 63 are well priced, even before the current Independence Day discount.
I want to know if the Aftershave smells of 63 is as nice as the soap! It's addictive.

This isn't a joke:

I took my Van Der Hagen Shave Soap and put it in the shower. (I'm using it as a puck of body soap). I prefer my Humphrey's Handmade Glycerine Sandalwood/Patchouli Shaving Soap so that my face and neck won't be butchered when I shave!

I'm continuing to use the search feature and trying to read up on older threads. The sheer volume of information is overwhelming, so apologies if this has been asked/answered:

Shaving soap question for you guys, as I am a bit of a novice on the soap category. I’ve generally been using shaving creams in a tube, such as Creamo and proraso, and lathering directly on the face.

If I were to buy my first supply of shaving soap, do I need to buy one that’s in a container with a lid so that it is preserved and does not oxidize? I see some that are just sold as Pucks and I’m not sure how they are to be stored each day?

Without knowing any better and looking at simple reviews online, it looks like for somebody who is new to using soaps instead of creams in a tube, the Proraso green might be a good starting point? Please suggest otherwise as I’m really interested. I have my first nice brush on the way to me this week and might be retiring my 12 year old Edwin Jagger brush, although it's been suggested I give it a good shampoo and keep using.
I use what the puck from Italian Barber, and I literally put on a dinner plate and let it air dry. Soap does not oxidize. Start with 4 sticks and a round of WTP and if you like sticks or pucks more. My uncle kept his in a massive glass bowl, only had one or two at a time and would turn it face down when he was not using it, then 24 hours later it was turned face up and could be used again. This method works though you do not want to collect a lot of soaps, it STINKS up the room with soap smell.

I started with CELLA Milano and a cappuccino mug.

Jane Iredale makes a mineral cosmetic brush cleaner and shampoo, Totally Pure. The old fogies would just use Borax or vinegar for another 15-20 years.

I would not recommend getting more than 1-2 kilos. I have 8 kilos and it is going to last me 20 years.

OP here and thought I'd report back. I purchased Mitchell's WF on Memorial Day weekend (31 May) and it's almost gone now (almost 3 months of use, however maybe every other day). Absolutely zero complaints. It's been great and no difficulty with lather or anything else.

I was thinking about going onto Cella next, as it's one of the "classics" that people often reference. I'll probably get the little red tub in the coming weeks, as my MWF continues to dwindle.

Phoenixkh

I shaved a fortune
An update here too:

6 months in, I've settled on a 4 soap/cream rotation. All of them work equally well for me and my what turns out to be sensitive skin.

1. Baume.be cream
2. Acca Kappa Barbershop Soap
3. Canada Shaving Soap
4. Phoenix Scentsless Soap

I have 4 others waiting in the wings to try. I don't have any more on the horizon.

Top Bottom