What's new

Rookie need help on soap

Hi I'm relatively new to wet shaving. I have been wet shaving since early February. I use an Edwin jagger de 89, the art of shaving sandle wood pre shave and shave cream and Nivea post shave. Also I use bump patrol because I get allot of I grown hairs under my jawline. I am looking for a better cream/soap and I am considering Mickey Lee soapworks the kraken, Phoenix artisan accoutrements the beach or possibly a soap commander soap. I would like more slickness and protection, a better post shave and most of all less ingrown hairs. I shave one pass with the grain and then a clean up pass. I shave two days on one day off. I am also using a different blade every 3-4 shaves as I am trying to find one that works for me. So far I like the persona med preps, lab blues and gillete silver blues. Thank you for any information and advice!

If you get a chance, check out Sterling Soap Co. They have a huge selection of shave soaps and post shave balms/splashes that offer the best slickness around IMO.

Stirling soaps. Get several asmples for very reasonable price. Also, look at Proraso in green tub. It's a solid perfomer and as soft soap, it is easy to lather. Classic menthol and eucalyptus scent. La Toja stick is another as is the omnipresent Arko.

Soaps, I like VDH Deluxe. For creams my top three are C. O. Bigelow, TOBS Eaton College and Lemon & Lime.

Just a side note have you mapped your beard growth? Sometimes, shaving ATG can cause bumps and ingrown hairs. I ask because when I started out I thought a north to south pass was WTG, but my neck is a different pattern than my cheeks.

Arko has such a following I ordered a 2 pack today.

Good luck with your search.

Depends on your budget. I hate blowing a bunch on a new soap just to find out I don't like the scent. You can get a lot of soap from Stirling or a bunch of Arko for what one tub of Soap Commander costs. And they work VERY well!! Soap Commander is great soap. Caties is fantastic as well.

Probably not going to be the most popular on here, but I have great shaves with Williams. My local grocery store has it for $1. Just soak the puck while you shower, and it lathers wonderfully.

Also, Proraso is always a great performer.

Stirling does have samples. I got a whole bag full for around 40 a while ago. Good choice too.... many different scents too. Haven't had a chance to get to them so I can't speak on its qualities, but it seems well regarded here. Lol that's why I ordered them at least.

How about this Rookie? Send me a PM with your address and I will be happy to ship a care package of soap samples. I have a cupboard full that I would be happy to share with you.

Cheers.

There's no such thing as a tough child - if you parboil them first for seven hours, they always come out tender.
― W.C. Fields

How about this Rookie? Send me a PM with your address and I will be happy to ship a care package of soap samples. I have a cupboard full that I would be happy to share with you.

Cheers.

There's no such thing as a tough child - if you parboil them first for seven hours, they always come out tender.
― W.C. Fields

Now that's the gentlemanly type of act that makes B&B the place that it is.
very nice of you, sir.
how do you go about getting the samples? Do you just cut out a part of the puck/tub? Out of curiousity.

Cheers.

― W.C. Fields

That's why I love it here. True gentlemen! Thank you sir.

Now that's the gentlemanly type of act that makes B&B the place that it is.
very nice of you, sir.
how do you go about getting the samples? Do you just cut out a part of the puck/tub? Out of curiousity.

Over the years I have accumulated samples that sit in my closet. They are from a variety of vendors. I will be happy to pass them along.

Hard to beat the Tcheon Fung Sing (TFS) soaps, in my opinion. All the goodness of artisan Italian soaps, and with great scents.

The post shave feel of the TFS is fantastic.

Top Bottom