What's new

Rookie Looking to Collect

So I want to start a collection of straight razors. Where do I begin?

I'm not sure I'm ready to dive into restoration but I would like to get some old straight razors.

How do I know what company's I should look for?

How do I tell a fake from a real?

How do I know what's restorable and what's trash?

How do I know what it should be worth vs. what the asking price is?

I'm looking to get a collection of a dozen or so to frame and put up in my bathroom.

Thank You

--David

Perhaps you ought to stick to stainless so you don't have to worry about long term effects of sitting on the wall in your bathroom:frown:.

If you're just going to frame them you can probably go by your aesthetic sensibilities and buy the ones that look nice, or will look nice after you've sanded the rust off.

No sense honing them if you're not going to use them.

- Chris

experience - just keep your ears open for what other guys are using. Pretty much all vintage blades are good, its just some are better than others

dont buy new (unless its wacker, DA, dovo or TI) because theyre all fake

experience - but basically make sure theres not too much rust, especially near the edge. Its all about the edge. If it looks clean and sharpish then its restorable, if theres rust on the esge dont bother.

experience - factor in honing costs if you dont do it yourself, then work out what its worth to you, compared to the time you would have to spend on the restore.

experience - just keep your ears open for what other guys are using. Pretty much all vintage blades are good, its just some are better than others

dont buy new (unless its wacker, DA, dovo or TI) because theyre all fake

experience - but basically make sure theres not too much rust, especially near the edge. Its all about the edge. If it looks clean and sharpish then its restorable, if theres rust on the esge dont bother.

experience - factor in honing costs if you dont do it yourself, then work out what its worth to you, compared to the time you would have to spend on the restore.

+1. That's pretty much it. You'll find it rewarding to learn the ins and outs and if you pay attention, you will learn a LOT. More than you would from an easy answer too. Most of the pros around here closely guard their favorite brands, but you can figure out what they are through careful observation :smile:.

I'll also add that for the "what is junk" question, think long and hard about purchasing a blade from the following two countries:
PAKISTAN
China

Please note I'm not bashing the DA, just most of the blades that are made in China.

Some of these pieces of junk find their way to antique stores, and they end up looking like legit pieces. You can see them a mile away though when you see those countries of origin on the tang.

you could buy a book, or buy from somebody who knows and isn't out to rip you off.

or you can just get anything that looks good to you - it doesn't really need to be rare or valuable if it's purpose is decor.

you could buy a book, or buy from somebody who knows and isn't out to rip you off.

or you can just get anything that looks good to you - it doesn't really need to be rare or valuable if it's purpose is decor.

And chances are good if it looks good it will probably deliver a pretty nice shave too :biggrin:.

I haven't seen a vintage blade yet that couldn't take an edge. Granted I haven't had the pleasure of seeing very many :biggrin:.

Luc

"To Wiki or Not To Wiki, That's The Question".
If you see a Solingen or Sheffield in a reasonnable condition, jump on it! :biggrin:

I am looking at a Thiers Issard and find it, very very tempting at the moment!

Dunny summarized it best I think!

If you are only looking for something to spice up the bathroom wall in a display frame, you can buy some great looking (and completely unuseable) razors on the bay. Heck, there are cheap lots that can be had for the price of a soap puck, clean 'em up and no one, except you, would know the difference.

Now if you are looking for something more than a wall display that might actually be used some day, go with the previous recomendations.

Top Bottom