What's new

Rookie Gets a Barber Razor

Oops! I skipped a couple! Well, Sunday I had whacked my arm pretty good and I tried but didn't feel comfortable using the shavette. So I phoned it in and used a DE.

Last night's shavette, it all came together for me. First, I got my best lather yet from the Clubman soap! And I can't tell you what a difference that made. So I was feeling very good lathering up, and those good vibes carried through the shave. No nicks, no irritation. In fact, I didn't even feel the need to try XTG. Turns out if I just carefully swoop the blade, that's good enough to feel smooth going to bed but I can feel it on my neck when I get to work the next morning.

I'm kind of regretting not following everyone's advice and picking up an AC clone. As I'm using the razor more, the folding handle is starting to get in the way more. And I'll tell you exactly what the problem is. Big surprise, it's me! Since the age of 7, I've carried a knife with me everywhere I legally could. But using a blade with a floppy handle is new for me. I'm really struggling with there being nowhere to put the handle that's out of the way. The ACs are like a fixed blade knife. THAT I have no doubt I can work with. It'll feel familiar to me.

ButI'm getting better. Not that shave 6 was better than 2, although that's certainly true. Once upon a time, not very long ago at all, such a petty inconvenience (I'll not pretend it's more than that) would have had a drastic, permanent, and immediate solution. Whichever saw was nearest has a bit of work to do. But now I recognize that this design has been around for hundreds of years and nobody has been able to improve on it. So obviously I have something to work out.

Still, in all, I really don't dislike using an open(ish?) blade to shave. I don't know if I'll stay with it or go back to safeties. But there will always be a shavette in my den, if not rotation. The good news is there's still 96 chances to find out!

thombrogan

Lounging On The Isle Of Tugsley.
If you want a non-folding AC shavette, there are some on Amazon and AliExpress for $10-20.

If you want a non-folding AC shavette, there are some on Amazon and AliExpress for $10-20.
I saw the one on Ali Express, but I've had bad luck ordering from them in the past. But Amazon, you say? Hmm. I may have to go poking around there towards the end of the month (GRUME).

AimlessWanderer

Remember to forget me!
OCtober would be a good time to check out the Artist Club using shavettes from Facón and ShearsDirect at that site. Can’t be more open than ‘not there at all.’

That would be No Comb, not Open Comb ;) The comb is not open if it doesn't exist. That's like saying shall I wear barefoot sandals today, or barefoot wellingtons. They're neither sandals nor wellies if they don't exist. :)

thombrogan

On shavettes, there’s always the possibility of a comb. Check out Fromm/Diane hair shapers and Weck Sextoblades. The comb is not only open, it’s still in the warehouse waiting

thombrogan

If it has a spine, the Diane/Fromm clip will fit. Pay no attention to the crimping pliers.

I think I saw the ones you're talking about on Amazon. This guy? Screenshot_20200917-184929_Chrome.jpg

I hope so, because that looks like it'll really do the trick. I figured it out this afternoon while shaving, let's say, motivated. A fixed handle will give me at least the illusion of more control. Then the razor becomes an incredibly highly specialized knife.

As I was looking at the razors, I started looking at the blades too. I can get 300 DE Feathers for the price of 60 AC blades. Ok, I'm willing to listen why. The second question, are there other blades that will fit the Feathers and clones?

Today's shave was pretty decent. I noticed this afternoon when you have the right grip and angle, that razor provides plenty of audible feedback. Not loud, but not far from it. Me, I like a little bit of feedback. It's satisfying to hear the SCRITCH scritch nothing.

Anyways, with that shave 7 is in the books!

Last edited:
I think I saw the ones you're talking about on Amazon. This guy? View attachment 1156366

I hope so, because that looks like it'll really do the trick. I figured it out this afternoon while shaving, let's say, motivated. A fixed handle will give me at least the illusion of more control. Then the razor becomes an incredibly highly specialized knife.

As I was looking at the razors, I started looking at the blades too. I can get 300 DE Feathers for the price of 60 AC blades. Ok, I'm willing to listen why. The second question, are there other blades that will fit the Feathers and clones?

Today's shave was pretty decent. I noticed this afternoon when you have the right grip and angle, that razor provides plenty of audible feedback. Not loud, but not far from it. Me, I like a little bit of feedback. It's satisfying to hear the SCRITCH scritch nothing.

Anyways, with that shave 7 is in the books!
I would imagine that the unit cost is lower due to a higher volume of blades being produced. Plus I imagine DE blades have little waste from being created from a spooled band of stainless that is marginally wider than the end product. Also being made from thinner material costs less both in material and machine robustness to work the metal. All the SE blades cost significantly more than DE blades.

{EDIT} Also, since the AC is generally considered for Professionals, they might just turn the screw a little tighter.

Can't help with the second question.

Last edited:

thombrogan

This guy?

Yup, that guy.

Feather DE can cost even less on the ‘bay, but Amzn usually has about best Artist Club blade prices. The ‘bay has the best price on Schick Proline P series blades if you buy at least 10 packs at once.

Thinking the AC blades are much more expensive because they‘re harder to make and have much less competition than faced by DE blades.

There’s a brand called Vincent that’s $9-12 for 50 AC-style blades, but I’m scared of mine. I might try stropping one before use if I ever get around to it. Also, Dorco has AC blades you can buy at Maggards at $10 for 20 before shipping.

Ok cool. Thanks! That is a slick looking razor. I have that and some blades in my Amazon cart in the save for later pipe. Come October 1, she'll ship!

And the blades look much thicker than DE blades. If they last longer enough, it might be worth the upcharge.

Ok cool. Thanks! That is a slick looking razor. I have that and some blades in my Amazon cart in the save for later pipe. Come October 1, she'll ship!

And the blades look much thicker than DE blades. If they last longer enough, it might be worth the upcharge.

They are 2.5 times as thick. Most users seem to report getting more shaves with them and, because of the rigidity of the blades, better shaves.

thombrogan

I got 30 shaves out of a Schick Proline before I dropped the razor.

It’s going to be more of if you enjoy the shaves more that make them worth the kooky upcharge.

The hair shaper blades are meant to be stropped, but only on the ones with foldy handles I’ve seen (Diane/Fromm, Annie, Personna, Weck).

You could also google double-ground kamisori straight razors. Stiff handle, no AC or half-DE blades, and the previously overkill part of your sharpening station will immediately become essential.

The more I think about it, the more I think I'm looking forward to that fixed handle style. More options for grip. And blades that last longer than 4 or 5 shaves does sound intriguing.

And there's something else that happened a little while ago I neglected to mention. Mrs. Rookie followed me into the den and stayed during the shave. I was using the Clubman soap and she took the bowl from the sink and was feeling and smelling it as I was shaving. "This stuff smells really good! And it's kinda hot seeing you shave with a straight razor." To her credit, Clubman soap and aftershave does smell really good. Good enough to know what a steal of a deal it is to order. I'm not exactly sure what she meant by the second part, but I really don't need to.

Absolutely! I've gone these past 40 years without one, I can go another two weeks.

Especially if the rest of my shaving goes like last night. It felt like nothing was going right. I lost my touch with the lather and couldn't quite get it. Just one of those things, I thought about it and lost the ability to do it. Then it felt like the blade was skipping. I'd go back over stretching the skin more/better. Ok, that's better, but still not great. None of my strokes felt smooth. Honestly, it didn't not feel like my night at all. And I could just feel the irritation coming as I worked the blade across my face.

But then, as soon as I was done and rubbed my hand over it, it was the closest shave I've had since I started. North/ south was smooth and irritation free. Co9T confirmed this.

East/west was still scritchey, but I have yet to figure out how to shave XTG with this razor. But honestly just WTG and AGT are giving me good enough for me, Mrs. Rookie, and my employers.

8 down, 92 to go!

Top Bottom