What's new

Ronson Lighters

I found an old Ronson Essex lighter among my Grandfathers things today. I noticed that the wheel wasn't spinning (and hence not creating a spark). I stumbled upon this site because of the following link. I was hoping that someone here had some insight as to why the wheel wasn't spinning. It's a lighter I could really get into because of its austere exterior.

oc_in_fw

Fridays are Fishtastic!
I found an old Ronson Essex lighter among my Grandfathers things today. I noticed that the wheel wasn't spinning (and hence not creating a spark). I stumbled upon this site because of the following link. I was hoping that someone here had some insight as to why the wheel wasn't spinning. It's a lighter I could really get into because of its austere exterior.
I have no experience with Ronson lighters, being a Zippo guy, but someone will be along shortly to help you out. Welcome to B&B.

The guy who runs ronsonrepair.com is really nice. Might be worth it to send the lighter to him.

-J

The guy who runs ronsonrepair.com is really nice. Might be worth it to send the lighter to him.

-J

I just stumbled upon his site and sent him an email. At some point today I was going to go out to a few of the local smoke shops and see if they had any input.

Commander Quan

Commander Yellow Pantyhose
I'm not familiar with that model, but check the flint. If it's completely worn down sometimes the part the flint sits on can get wedged in the steel wheel.

+1 on Commander Quan's response.

I have not smoked for decades, but as I recall, this used to happen with my mother's Ronson when the flint was worn down and the spring loaded plunger that pushes up on the flint strikes the serrated spark wheel. The button that rotates the spark wheel would no longer press down.

I would 1st take out the plunger and see whether the wheel rotates without the plunger's upward pressure and contact. If the wheel rotates without the plunger, I would acquire and load a new flint and see what happens. If it sparks, try loading lighter fluid, you should be good to go.

HTH

Last edited:
Top Bottom