What's new

Romaine Lettuce: Nuke It 'Til It Glows?

Thinking about the CDC warning on Romaine lettuce suddenly brought to mind food irradiation. It's a preservation technique that uses radiation to kill pests and microorganisms. There's been some resistance to food irradiation in the past, but wondering now if outbreaks like these will change that.

Comments? About the only thing I can say about it is that it won't make your Romaine Lettuce double as a night light.

I am all in favor of it. As I understand it some irradiated foods may be sold in the US. Seems like a no brainer to me.

Is not most of the problem with romaine (or iceberg) lettuce due to lack of washing? Which is largely because it is difficult to wash and dry? Where washing the outside of a head is not good enough.

When making a salad I first chop, then briefly soak and wash (agitate) the lettuce. It is difficult to drain or remove that last bit of water but I believe it is necessary given unknown food handling.

kelbro

Alfred Spatchcock
We raised spinach on our farm when I was growing up.

There were no outhouses in the fields.

Washing your produce is a good idea.

We raised spinach on our farm when I was growing up.

There were no outhouses in the fields.

Washing your produce is a good idea.

Think of washing your hands. While some soaps have some antibacterial properties, most soaps are acting as a surfactant and aiding in simply washing microorganisms off. So water and vigorous scrubbing has the same effect, albeit with less efficiency. Same principle for washing produce. The risk of getting contaminated produce should be pretty low, but it's still a good precaution to take with the exception of prewashed and bagged products that don't need it.

I tend to think that the problem with lettuce and similar produce comes from the water source. The plants soak up the water, like all plants do. Well, what happens if the water is contaminated. The plant soaks up the contaminated water and is stored inside the plant. Now with other produce you could use high heat and cook it to kill any bad things in it. Lettuce typically does not hold up well to high heat or cooking. It tends to wilt and be very unappealing afterwards.

Sure one could wash the heck out of the lettuce, but that does nothing for the contaminated water stored inside the plant.Washing pretty much only removes what is on the surface, not what is inside.

At least that is my take on it. Feel free to discuss. :001_smile

<Sure one could wash the heck out of the lettuce, but that does nothing for the contaminated water stored inside the plant.>

I think that is correct. Not that produce cannot be contaminated with handling, too.

Ad Astra

The Instigator
Same as using UV light to sterilize water ... why not?

I think the food onboard the ISS is all irradiated. Don't want astros with gastro, yo. :a19:

AA (c'mon that was funny)

I, for one, welcome the opportunity to have the first lettuce nightlight in my neighborhood. I say irradiate away. lol

I don't care if there's chemicals in it
As long as my lettuce is crisp
Preservatives might just be preserving you

Grace Slick

Doc4

Stumpy in cold weather
Staff member
To make sure I don't get any nasty bacteria with the lettuce, I put it through one additional processing step.

I let the cow eat it.
proxy.php

Washing the external leafy parts should be enough to get rid of bacteria (perhaps a good soak as it is difficult to use very much mechanical action on tender vegetables), since the plant does not soak up bacteria internally.
How bacteria get into plants.

FDA Commissioner Scott Gottlieb said today that they are working with the industry to improve a few things. That in the future all romaine lettuce will be labeled with where it came from and the date it was harvested. So that the source of outbreaks can be better traced and not require a continent wide purge.

Top Bottom