What's new

ROMA - The new Synthetic brushes by Omega

Where are you From Dave? Maybe I can help you to find a Trafalgar T3.
Friends of mine said the Omega Roma Colosseum is the same size as T3 and the Omega Roma Wolf is the same size as T2.
Simpson Trafalgar usually are very generous with their knots. My T3 is 28x55mm not 26x50mm as declared.
Well, I took the info from the rasoigoodfellas.com... and the Simpson's website.

Anyways, I appreciate the helped offered, but it's not a matter of "life and death", it's just another brush, so it can wait 😂

I'm actually waiting for an email response back from GFS, as they might have the T3 back in stock shortly, so we'll see.

I'M in no Hurry and I do prefer the T3 looks... so am still "sitting on the fence". Maybe that's not a bad thing after all.

Well, I took the info from the rasoigoodfellas.com... and the Simpson's website.

Anyways, I appreciate the helped offered, but it's not a matter of "life and death", it's just another brush, so it can wait 😂

I'm actually waiting for an email response back from GFS, as they might have the T3 back in stock shortly, so we'll see.

I'M in no Hurry and I do prefer the T3 looks... so am still "sitting on the fence". Maybe that's not a bad thing after all.

I understand, but if you live in Europe there is a lot of site which sell Trafalgar T3 for a better price.

Yes,like soulobjects.de (example) .
Thank you so much @SCh5, order placed!! You're a genius man 😊. It's actually €7 cheaper than on GFS, so not a bad deal @ €20.

And thank you @Lee93 for the comments that led to this! I owe you one 😎

1611950257118.png

Those Omega brushes look like they were named after sports teams so something. Kind of tacky, IMHO.

Here I have to quote my previous post:
I'm Italian, I use and appreciate many Omega brushes and last but not least I'm an AS Roma fan (soccer team) that share the same name and the she-wolf as a symbol. I should like such a brush... Still I think I rarely have seen a tackier thing...

Actually today here in Italy the she-wolf is most known to be the nickname and the logo of a major Italian soccer team:
proxy.php

But what does that wolf represent? Is the Colosseum the major icon of the city? No!

Rome Capitoline She-wolf (Omega got it wrong, it's a female wolf)
proxy.php

The She-Wolf is the image of the foundation myth of the city of Rome as told by Titus Livius (AKA Livy) based on oral tradition.
In short (it took Livy ten books to tell the full story), the poor Rhea Silvia, a beauty and marvel to the eye, after some already tragic circumstances, one day was followed and raped by the god Mars in a cave and got pregnant.
She gave birth to not one but two sons. According to legend, Mars told her that they would be great sons to a new empire. These sons Romulus and Remus would be taken from their mother, on the orders of Amulius the usurper king and left by the river.
The hope of the king was so that they would drown. The baskets that carried them downriver washed up on the shore for a wolf to collect them. You might be thinking that the wolf sees its next meal, but she took them into and nurtured the young boys.
As they grown up, Romulus and Remus were the founders of the city of Rome the 21st of april 753 AC (yes Rome was built in a day!)

End of the OT

As I've said, I don't like the brush, I wasn't completely fond of the Trafalgar line either (I had the T3) but for some reason I will buy it sooner or later.

Can someone review this? Preferably put it in an arena fight with one of omega's boar.

Omega Roma Lupa has a 24mm x 45mm knot. Very small and dense. The fibers are quite stiff, good backbone and a light facial scrub. You have to apply some pressure to splay it. It's not really like an Omega Boar but of my synthetics it's the closest to it.

The fibers in these Omega Roma's look exactly like the Simpson signature fibers. They seem to be a 4th generation fiber just like the Plissoft fibers. If you look really close at them you will see a wavey appearance instead of being straight. They added this to the 4th gen to try and hold more water in the brush.

People say these Signature knots feel more scrubby but that might just be because they are much shorter loft than most Plissoft knots. The loft on the signature knots are short like 40-50mm. A plissoft Razorock for example has a 57mm loft.

The very first Plisson brush with plissoft style fibers was a small knot size 22mm and it didnt have very good backbone. The 24mm Plissoft knots are supposed to have a bit more backbone then the first Plisson original but thats because of the diameter of the knot size and having more hairs in the knot. So these Signature knots are big enough in diameter for a good size to give a scrubby feeling and they have a short loft which I think also helps to give it more backbone.

I saw that Stirling makes a Plissoft 24mm knot that has a 51mm loft. I bet that Plissoft would feel alot like a T2 with these Signature fibers.

Omega Roma Lupa has a 24mm x 45mm knot. Very small and dense. The fibers are quite stiff, good backbone and a light facial scrub. You have to apply some pressure to splay it. It's not really like an Omega Boar but of my synthetics it's the closest to it.

Is there a noticeable glue bump?

Chan Eil Whiskers

Fumbling about.
Omega Roma Wolf and Trafalgar T3.
It's very small.
View attachment 1225260

It would be interesting to see the larger Roma brush next to the T3.

The fibers in these Omega Roma's look exactly like the Simpson signature fibers.

It would be remarkable to find they're not exactly the same fibers.

However, the shape of the knots is considerably different as is the loft I think. Perhaps that makes the Omega Roma a better brush. Perhaps not.

My only synthetic is the Omega Evo with which I'm very well pleased (yes, it's worth the money; it could fool me into thinking it is a three band silvertip; it's that good).

I've noticed with synthetics, the few I've used, that the size of their knots seems, in use, smaller than badgers the same size. Thus, I think of the Evo as a medium sized knot whereas a badger of the same knot size would be a large knot.

I'm not in the market for either of these brushes or any other synthetic. I might buy another synthetic when they've advanced another generation or two.

The Roma handle looks to be of a decent enough shape. What is it made of and how does it feel? As far as I know the Simpson T3 handle is typical Simpson high quality. The Evo is also a high quality handle. Is the Roma handle resin or plastic? If plastic, is it cheap plastic like some Omegas or high quality plastic like the Mondial boar with the ivory handle?

Perhaps the performance of the Omega knot is better than the performance of the T3 due to different loft and knot shape?

Interesting brush, the Roma, but what were they thinking with the appearance of the logo and font?

Happy shaves,

Jim

It would be interesting to see the larger Roma brush next to the T3.

It would be remarkable to find they're not exactly the same fibers.

However, the shape of the knots is considerably different as is the loft I think. Perhaps that makes the Omega Roma a better brush. Perhaps not.

My only synthetic is the Omega Evo with which I'm very well pleased (yes, it's worth the money; it could fool me into thinking it is a three band silvertip; it's that good).

I've noticed with synthetics, the few I've used, that the size of their knots seems, in use, smaller than badgers the same size. Thus, I think of the Evo as a medium sized knot whereas a badger of the same knot size would be a large knot.

I'm not in the market for either of these brushes or any other synthetic. I might buy another synthetic when they've advanced another generation or two.

The Roma handle looks to be of a decent enough shape. What is it made of and how does it feel? As far as I know the Simpson T3 handle is typical Simpson high quality. The Evo is also a high quality handle. Is the Roma handle resin or plastic? If plastic, is it cheap plastic like some Omegas or high quality plastic like the Mondial boar with the ivory handle?

Perhaps the performance of the Omega knot is better than the performance of the T3 due to different loft and knot shape?

Interesting brush, the Roma, but what were they thinking with the appearance of the logo and font?

Happy shaves,

Jim

The fibers look the same as the Trafalgar but the knot is denser. The Omega Roma Colosseo ( 31x55) is slightly higher than the Trafalgar T3 (which however can vary a lot, mine has a 55 loft even if the manufacturer claims 50.)
The handle feels good in the hand, it seems resin, like the Simpsons, not as the other inexpensive Omega brushes. It's a nice brush if you like a bit of scrub and backbone, I don't like the logo, it remind me of cheap souvenir, but it will come off easily...

The fibers look the same as the Trafalgar but the knot is denser. The Omega Roma Colosseo ( 31x55) is slightly higher than the Trafalgar T3 (which however can vary a lot, mine has a 55 loft even if the manufacturer claims 50.)
The handle feels good in the hand, it seems resin, like the Simpsons, not as the other inexpensive Omega brushes. It's a nice brush if you like a bit of scrub and backbone, I don't like the logo, it remind me of cheap souvenir, but it will come off easily...
@Lee93, so which one do you like better - Colosseum or T3? 😀

Top Bottom