What's new

Rolls Razor

My buddy gave me a Rolls Razor today complete in the box with all the instructions and other paperwork including instructions for the salesman selling the thing and a list of "Main Agents, Distributors and Stockists".

It's a Viscount and pretty cool but VERY scary.

Anybody have any experience with one of these?

When were they made?

Thanks in advance for any help!

I have a Viscount complete with the instructions and hinged, velvet lined box.

I haven't had a chance to play with it yet ... if you find any info on how to get it reconditioned (strop and hone replacements and spare blades,) please let me know.

The documentation that came with mine also included an international Dealer list and operating/maintenance directions, but I didn't get any Salesman literature with it. Could you perhaps scan a copy and either e-mail it or post it to the Shave-Wiki page on the Rolls? As someone who has spent far too many years in sales, I'm always interested in seeing the tips / tactics / techniques that manufacturers suggest to their Sales Staff to market their products. Thanks!

I use my Roll's regularly,but I don't use long strokes as recommended in the Wiki article. I have found using short strokes gives me the best results.ymmv.:smile:

As my screen name implies, I have been using a rolls for many years, and it was my only razor for a while before I started cruising B&B. If you can get access to a good hone (or someone who is handy with one), get that edge scary sharp by hand first, only then do you want to use it. The strop and hone combo that make the razor so unique is fine for dressing and stropping between shaves, but when the edge starts to go, get a better hone.

Great point...I've lapped one of my blades 500+ times on the Rolls hone and its still not where I'd like it to be so, I'm taking matters into my own hands and giving it a "proper" honing!

Thanks all for the info!

dpm:

The "salesman" info I was referring to can be seen on the ShaveWiki page, image 3. Note the "To the Salesman" instruction on the right side top.

OK, thanks. I have that paper as well.

I was looking more for "Sales" information, such as training for the demonstrator, comparisons with competitors, suggested closing tactics, how to overcome objections, etc.

Having spent far too many years in sales, I've always been interested in the psychology of making a transaction.

Alright, I finished hand honing my set of 3 Rolls blades and tonight I shaved with one and I must say...WOW...what a difference. I had a decent shave previously with the Rolls honed bladed but after honing it on a Fine DMT, 4K/8K Norton, Yellow Coticle, 1.0 and .5 paste on a paddle strop it was a whole new world. Almost DE like! I really enjoyed it and can't wait to use it again!

I just picked up a second set. This has given me some hope and incentive to start the honing process....Can you say, Safety Razor of the Week?....:biggrin:

I've been using one of my Roll's Razors twice a week lately.:smile:I am getting better shaves every time I use it. Not quite up to d/e or s/e quality,but not far off.:wink:These shaving oddities have certainly got a lot of potential and are much easier to maintain than a straight. I love them.:biggrin:

Top Bottom